Genesis Advanced Technologies Launches Latest Genesis 2

cmalak

Jul 21, 2015
With BG Corp defunct, we will have no choice but to make our own. The last batch of ribbons we bought just before they closed down were 100% defective. So, I took them apart, figured out what was wrong, and not only fixed them but made them much better. Prior to this, I had already visited them to help them solve quality problems because they kept delivering less than 50% useable ribbons - and the ones that measured OK when leaving the factory failed in the field. We lost two years of sales because of bad ribbons. When we launched the G2.2 Junior, the first batch that went out failed in the field because of the problems we had with the ribbons. Killed the reputation of the G2Jr in several important markets.

In order to maintain our quality and brand reputation, I have been bringing almost every component and driver we use in-house. The ribbon midrange was the only thing that we had no control of. Now, with BG defunct, it is a blessing in disguise as I can now manufacture my own midrange ribbons.

Gary...sorry to hear about your experience with BG and I guess it is ultimately easier to control every aspect of QC, although I am sure more expensive to do so, to bring manufacturing of all drivers in-house, but I am curious why you did not also consider some other sources for the ribbon drivers? There are established names there with long histories and seemingly high QC standards and the one that most comes to mind is RAAL but I know other driver manufacturers like Eton and others also have ribbon offerings? So one answer which you have alluded to in your comment and which I refer to above is having greater control over maintain high levels of quality and presumably better control over how much inventory to invest in (i.e., more just-in-time inventory model) than if you were ordering in minimum order quantities from a supplier, which may tie up more cash. But I am assuming companies like RAAL and Eton have good quality records and long histories that would have made the "buy or outsource vs. build in house" decision a bit more of an even trade. Just curious.

Thanks,

Cyril

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Because neither RAAL nor Eton makes a midrange ribbon. For a tweeter, the dispersion pattern of a diaphragm that is much larger than 6mm is not ideal. A strip-type ribbon tweeter is a line-source vertically and has only horizontal dispersion. That's why the Genesis tweeter is a ring radiator with a 6mm-wide ring.

cmalak

Jul 21, 2015
Because neither RAAL nor Eton makes a midrange ribbon. For a tweeter, the dispersion pattern of a diaphragm that is much larger than 6mm is not ideal. A strip-type ribbon tweeter is a line-source vertically and has only horizontal dispersion. That's why the Genesis tweeter is a ring radiator with a 6mm-wide ring.

Got it and makes sense. Well good luck with your midrange drivers and the new 2.3s.

racerxnet

Apr 30, 2014
Graz is making the drop in replacement diaphragms for the RS1B and other models as well as replacements for Apogee speakers. I am curious if he would be a good contact for older Genesis ribbons.

Just a thought.

MAK

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
You should send him an e-mail!

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Australia is too far away for a critical supplier. I'm in the process of building my own ribbons so that we can control quality better. Even BG in Nevada gave me nightmares with ribbon failures and quality over the past 3 years. I'd prefer somewhere I can drive to from Seattle :)

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
I bet they sound better there than where I heard them! :D

Is it just a photographic illusion or do you have to climb over all that equipment to play a record.

Gorgeous set up!

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
It sounds glorious and after the first set-up session, it already sounds far better than in my warehouse. There will be another fine-tuning session after the system settles down for a couple of days.

There's actually ample space behind the midrange/tweeter wings to access the turntable.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thank you Steve!

The system for the G2.3 in Carbon Fiber comprises:
Genesis Muse music server
CH Precision C1 DAC and X1 power supply
Viola Audio Labs Solo dual-mono preamplifier with dual power supply
Gryphon Mephisto Solo monoblock power amplifiers
All Genesis power interface cables, component interface cables and loudspeaker interface cables
Genesis equipment rack and amplifier stands

The system in rosewood comprises:
Clearaudio Master Innovation turntable with TT2 and Universal tonearms Goldfinger Statement and ZYX cartridges
Tenor Audio Phono 1 Ultimate Reference with 3 inputs
Tenor Audio Line 1 Ultimate Reference with Power 1 power supply
Tenor Audio 350M Huate Puissance monoblock power amplifiers

What's interesting about this second system is that there is a parallel system in operation with
Ayon Audio CD-T plus Stratos DAC
Ayon Audio Polaris III preamplifier
Ayon Audio Orthos XS monoblock power amplifiers

In order to be able to switch between the two systems (one hybrid and one full vacuum tube) I designed an "amplifier switcher" for the owner.

Amp Selector.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing