Genesis Advanced Technologies Launches Latest Genesis 2

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Nothing has much has changed in theoretical acoustics since ‘The Theory of Sound’ by mathematician and physicist Lord John William Strutt, Baron Rayleigh was published in 1877. There are still only two proper ways for a transducer to propagate sound in a room: a point-source and a line-source. Anything else, or everything in between, is a compromise.

In order for all frequencies of sound from the loudspeaker to reach the listener at exactly the same time, a coherent wave front is important - not just “time-alignment” of drivers. The ideal is either an infinitely small pulsating point or a pulsating line with a size on the order of the room dimension.

The Genesis 2 is the result of nearly 25 years of development of the line-source loudspeaker by Genesis Advanced Technologies. It embodies the belief of Genesis Chief Designer and CEO Mr. Gary Leonard Koh that with current technology, the line-source is the closest we can get to an ideal loudspeaker. “A four-foot line-source would perform much better than a 1-inch point-source delivering all the frequencies important to the reproduction of music,” said Mr. Koh. “The G2.3 is as close to the perfect transducer as we can make given the constraints of room size and budget.”
The huge advantage a line-source loudspeaker has over a point-source loudspeaker is that there is no vertical dispersion of the sound-wave. This carries several advantages: First, the spectral content of the waveform is consistent throughout the length of the line-source. With a line-source loudspeaker, seating height does not matter. There is no need to sit with the ears of the listener aligned to the height of the point-source or to aim the speaker at the head of the listener.

The second benefit of the line-source loudspeaker is that the attenuation of sound pressure level is -3dB with a doubling of distance instead of -6dB with a point-source. Hence, the change in loudness level is much less over small changes in distance. This results in a much larger area within which the speaker can be enjoyed, and hence can be enjoyed by a much larger audience. In a large room, this also results in much more dynamic sound with an equivalent amplifier.

“The Genesis 2.3 is the ultimate living room party loudspeaker,” said Mr. Koh. “It sounds as good standing up as when sitting down, and is not too loud up close or too soft much further away. You could be almost anywhere in the room or even hanging out just outside the door and enjoy the music.”

A further advantage of the line-source for the audiophile is that the lack of vertical dispersion means that there are no deleterious reflections from the floor or ceiling which may result in indistinct imaging. As the G2.3 is also a dipole – which reduces side-wall reflections – it creates rock-solid images and a “you-are-there” soundstage.

The current Genesis Series-2 loudspeaker has been improved over the previous generation launched nearly 8 years ago primarily in the area of lowering coloration in order to hear through to the music.

The new Genesis Ring Radiator Ribbon Tweeter (R3T) has lower distortion and wider dispersion up to 40kHz. The structure of the 48-inch ribbon midrange unit has also been strengthened and improved to further reduce distortion. As most rooms are acoustically asymmetric, separate left and right Servo-Controlled bass Amplifiers (SCAmps) are provided – with two channels per woofer tower. Improved power supplies from the development of the Genesis Reference Amplifier Series II have been incorporated in the SCAmp resulting in more impactful bass.
Structurally, the constraint-layer-damped composite sandwich that was designed during the development of the G-Force loudspeaker now reduces resonance in the cabinets. This improves the “launch blackness” of the mid/high frequencies making music sound like it is coming from a quieter background.

“There is already quite an improvement when you go from a conventional cone/dynamic loudspeaker to a ribbon or planar-magnetic,” said Mr. Koh. “But it can be really shocking when you go from a conventional loudspeaker to a ribbon line-source. The sense of ease is incredible when you have so much dynamic headroom. The effortlessness of musical peaks, huge dynamic contrasts and the ability to resolve the tiniest musical details – that’s what gives many listeners a sense of euphoria. It makes listening to music a visceral experience.”

The Genesis 2.3 loudspeaker system comprises a pair of midrange/tweeter “wings”, a pair of woofer towers, a pair of Servo-Controlled bass Amplifiers, and connecting cables and accessories. It is custom built in “any” finish including carbon-fiber, rosewood and high-gloss black. Price on Application.

Originally founded in 1991, the technology legacy of Genesis goes back to the Infinity Servo-Statik One launched in 1968. In 2002, Mr. Koh purchased the brand, assets and technology and in 2006 took over as Chief Designer and CEO. Since then, Genesis Advanced Technologies have built on the legacy improving the original designs and developing new ones, and improved upon the engineering and build quality of Genesis loudspeakers. Genesis now has a full range of ‘Absolute Fidelity’ products from electronics to loudspeakers.

G2.3 Rosewood Pair LoRez.jpg

G2.3 mini-Dragons LoRez.jpg

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Congratulations on the new Series 2.3.

It looks like a big winner!

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Love it!

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks, Steve. I love the rosewood, and I'm very happy to be able to get back to making them with natural real-wood veneers.

Mike just happened to be in town, and wanted to visit. We just happened to have a set breaking in :D

carolkoh

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Sep 17, 2010
Seattle, WA

carolkoh

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Sep 17, 2010
Seattle, WA
Ah, finally the voice of reason. ...And from Gary's own sister.

Haha. But you don't want the budget Ferrari. You want the top-end, fully tricked out one with all the options. So that's where the G1.2 Dragon Edition comes in on the comparison. ;)

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Dunno what to say that'll make everyone happy, so I just won't say. ...But yes, that's what I want.

* They look great in that wood, and they remind me a lot of Gary Protein's own loudspeaker system. ...Kind of a 2015 statement, with that touch of class from the past...Dr. Protein's gorgeous system.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Gary, congratulations!

Carol, a fair analogy!

ca1ore

Aug 31, 2010
Have been running a 201 as my primary speaker system for more years than I care to admit. Fabulous speakers, so I can only imagine how good these evolved versions are. Gary, are able to comment on what direction you have gone in for the midrange driver now that BG Corp. are defunct (though photos still look like it's a radia)?

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
With BG Corp defunct, we will have no choice but to make our own. The last batch of ribbons we bought just before they closed down were 100% defective. So, I took them apart, figured out what was wrong, and not only fixed them but made them much better. Prior to this, I had already visited them to help them solve quality problems because they kept delivering less than 50% useable ribbons - and the ones that measured OK when leaving the factory failed in the field. We lost two years of sales because of bad ribbons. When we launched the G2.2 Junior, the first batch that went out failed in the field because of the problems we had with the ribbons. Killed the reputation of the G2Jr in several important markets.

In order to maintain our quality and brand reputation, I have been bringing almost every component and driver we use in-house. The ribbon midrange was the only thing that we had no control of. Now, with BG defunct, it is a blessing in disguise as I can now manufacture my own midrange ribbons.

ca1ore

Aug 31, 2010
Makes sense. I always worried most about the midrange ribbon in mine; to the point that I considered buying a spare set on many occasions (never did, though got a spare amp from you :)). Original BGs still lasted over 15 years before being rebuilt, so that's pretty good. Never happier than when I'm worrying about some aspect if my system, so I suppose I can now do that over the re-builds. Thanks a lot :lol:!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing