Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thorens & Goldmund Reference Turntables - European Expressions of the Art of Beyond

I removed the three stone legs and (indeed) placed the Jem turntable on a wooden rack that is supported by Halcyonics Micro 40 devices. In all honesty - and although I liked their looks - I was never a real fan of the three stone legs from a sound perspective.

Site Founder And Administrator Ron Resnick's Avatar
    Dear David, Have you ever heard the Goldmund Reference 2?
    Mono and Stereo - Senior Contributing Reviewer

turntable: Thorens Reference (to come); tonearm: SME 3012R (to come); cartridge: ZYX Universe Premium X-SB2 (to come)
    tape: Studer A820 Mk II
    preamp: Aesthetix Io Eclipse with 2 power supplies (ordered); amplifier: VTL MB-750s
    speakers: Gryphon Pendragons (ordered)
    cables: MasterBuilt (not yet ordered); power: Benjamin Electric subpanel; JPS in-wall wire; Furutech NCF outlets; room: 20' wide X 25' long X 14' tall; treatment: ASC Tube Traps and Tower Slims; tweaks: Shakti Stones

Quote Originally Posted by RonR View Post
    Dear David, Have you ever heard the Goldmund Reference 2?
    Hi Ron,

No, it was never really on my radar, didn't find anything interesting about it and I'm not sure if its being made anymore.

david
    Audio Industry Affiliate:Lamm, Ortofon, ZYX, Keith Monks, Audio Desk, Jensen Transformers, Pheonix Engineering.
    Specialty & Unique Offerings: Vintage horn speakers, Vintage and Modern Turntables, Analog Accessories.

System 1: Horns+Tubes+Vinyl and digital too- Listening Room 1
    System 2: Horns+Tubes+Vinyl and digital too- Listening Room 2- Near field setup

Site Founder And Administrator Ron Resnick's Avatar
    Thank you. I do not see it on the Goldmund website.
    Mono and Stereo - Senior Contributing Reviewer

turntable: Thorens Reference (to come); tonearm: SME 3012R (to come); cartridge: ZYX Universe Premium X-SB2 (to come)
    tape: Studer A820 Mk II
    preamp: Aesthetix Io Eclipse with 2 power supplies (ordered); amplifier: VTL MB-750s
    speakers: Gryphon Pendragons (ordered)
    cables: MasterBuilt (not yet ordered); power: Benjamin Electric subpanel; JPS in-wall wire; Furutech NCF outlets; room: 20' wide X 25' long X 14' tall; treatment: ASC Tube Traps and Tower Slims; tweaks: Shakti Stones

I think it is only made on order. Heard about 300 000€ but not sure. I'm curious to know who was / is the maker for them ?

Quote Originally Posted by ddk View Post
    There was a problem in power supply/controller of the early versions which they fixed in the later generation like mine, I never had a problem with it. I'm spoilt by the flexibility and ease of setup of the SME arms, its really a one, two, three and you're done, I also know them well enough to know when my setup isn't optimal. I only setup the Goldmund arm once when I got the table and left it for years playing without a hitch until we moved. I have to pull out the manuals and relearn it again, just haven't had the patience for it. Also I'd like to try other cartridges on it to see how they work out but, so its just been waiting for me to get motivated.

Used Goldmunds are very undervalued these days but I see the Thorens tables just keep going up...

david

Hi David

I've been enjoying your posts and see you have many SME 30xx tonearms. I (imagine with others?) would enjoy your write up on them, especially on setup as you say 1, 2, 3. Or what you think on after market headshells and such. My cartridge is Lyra Parnassus. I am using stock headshell now and find SME system a bit tricky with sliding entire tonearm back and forth to get precise alignment, it is quite different from normal headshell that allows cartridge to be moved in all directions in the slots.

-Anders

Quote Originally Posted by anders View Post
    Hi David

I've been enjoying your posts and see you have many SME 30xx tonearms. I (imagine with others?) would enjoy your write up on them, especially on setup as you say 1, 2, 3. Or what you think on after market headshells and such. My cartridge is Lyra Parnassus. I am using stock headshell now and find SME system a bit tricky with sliding entire tonearm back and forth to get precise alignment, it is quite different from normal headshell that allows cartridge to be moved in all directions in the slots.

-Anders
    Hi Anders,

Glad you're enjoying the series! I have one more to table to do as soon as I get the time, hopefully over this weekend or early next week and I'll include the SME setup at the same time. Actually setting up the cartridge is simpler with a fixed head shell than a slotted one. Both Audio Technica & Ortofon make some excellent inexpensive headshells. The included SME protractor is tough to use, you're better off buying something like the one from DB Systems sold online, its the one that I use too. You should be able to easily find the exact tracking angle with it.

http://www.needledoctor.com/DB-Systems-Protractor

here's an old but still valid review of it.

http://www.dbsystemsaudio.com/DBP-10.jpg

david
    Audio Industry Affiliate:Lamm, Ortofon, ZYX, Keith Monks, Audio Desk, Jensen Transformers, Pheonix Engineering.
    Specialty & Unique Offerings: Vintage horn speakers, Vintage and Modern Turntables, Analog Accessories.

Both are amazing tables, but I think I prefer the Goldmund.
    I have seen the Thorens and it really looks like the father of analog.
    If changes in sound are very small then they are not important.

Quote Originally Posted by Calle_jr View Post
    Both are amazing tables, but I think I prefer the Goldmund.
    I have seen the Thorens and it really looks like the father of analog.
    Analog was already a mature technology when they made these tables, both sound wonderful but for ergonomics the Thorens wins, the Goldmund and its arm are a bitch to setup properly.

david

Quote Originally Posted by ddk View Post
    Hi Anders,

Glad you're enjoying the series! I have one more to table to do as soon as I get the time, hopefully over this weekend or early next week and I'll include the SME setup at the same time. Actually setting up the cartridge is simpler with a fixed head shell than a slotted one. Both Audio Technica & Ortofon make some excellent inexpensive headshells. The included SME protractor is tough to use, you're better off buying something like the one from DB Systems sold online, its the one that I use too. You should be able to easily find the exact tracking angle with it.

http://www.needledoctor.com/DB-Systems-Protractor

here's an old but still valid review of it.

http://www.dbsystemsaudio.com/DBP-10.jpg

david
    Great, looking forward to it!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast