Neil Young's new twist on AM Radio, Cassette Tapes and 8-Track Tapes versus Streaming

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I don't frequent Facebook, even if I have an account.

But today (this morning) I did check Neil Young's Facebook page via the link within this link:
=> www.avsforum.com/forum/39-networkin...adio-beat-streaming-quality.html#post35811066

So, you agree or not with Neil's latest vision? :b

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I think his age and past drug history have weakened his senses.

There is no way AM radio, 8-Tracks and most cassettes sound better than streaming audio.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Gary, that is simply Neil's way of speech to emphasize his discontentment about getting music royalties pay cut. ...He is not living in the free clouds like all new talented musicians where they share their music freely in order for us to get to know/discover them, new fresh/better talents, today. That's one good way, and there are many more, ...and some much less good, ...total rip offs.

Selectivity; that's the magic word. And for that we pay what we can afford to pay.

Neil is a musician, and a golfer, and a businessman. ...And also an activist, a spokesperson, an ideologist, a communicator, a father, and he's Canadian.
He is opinionated, and anti many things.

So, 8-track tapes and AM radio is just his way to complain about getting less money from streaming. ...A pretext, an adjudication. ...Neil is just a funny guy, an old fart just like the rest of us. :D

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I want some of what Neil is smoking.

Tim

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
I just saw Neil Young put on a 3+ hour show in Camden. He was a force of nature and gave/got from his band of young musicians (Willie Nelson's boys). Amazing, amazing, amazing.

In the end he is an audiophile and thus one of us. His views don't always align with mine but when it comes to quality sound he's one of the good guys.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I think his age and past drug history have weakened his senses.

There is no way AM radio, 8-Tracks and most cassettes sound better than streaming audio.

+1

On that I have Tidal when I am in the USA and since then my purchases of music has gone way down. As good as any CD you will ever hear... The music business is changing under our noses. I am to have a >100 Mb/s Internet connection (Comcast is talking about some 300 Mb/s or so ) and one can only wonder if there is not a market for 24/96 streaming out there ... If they can send picture over the internet they can send hirez ...

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
It seems that Prince was just ahead of Neil Young, on that same steaming boat: www.nme.com/news/prince/86634

So who's next, The Guess Who?

________

? Any of you gentle members here into Tidal, and if yes is it better than cassette tapes, and CDs too? ...Albums (LPs)?
Tidal music streaming is $20/month...Is Neil Young a subscriber? ...And is it worth it? ...I'd like to learn from members here who are subscribers...their feedback. ...Like compared to quality Classical & Jazz music recordings on analog LPs, digital CDs & SACDs.

Brief, is Tidal the best quality music streaming subscription system? ...Only $20/month seems to be too good for being the real deal truth, to me.
Nowadays a good LP is about $40-50, and a quality CD (Classical, Jazz) or SACD is about $20-40. ...Then a music audiophile is getting @ least four selections per month, every month...on average. ...And I know some who are buying much more. ...Not me, but I was in the past. ...Now it's on Blu-rays.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing