Burn in time?

ErikM

Sep 24, 2014
Jersey
First off I did search for the answer but couldn't really find it..

So my question is I just bought an Alpha HC for my Devialet and an Alpha Digital for my Aurender.. I have them hooked up to a fan with adaptors, I have the fan running on high since I assume that pulls the most current, so I was wondering how long I should keep them on the fan setup, is 100 hours enough or longer??

Thanks

Last edited:

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

ErikM

Sep 24, 2014
Jersey
Thanks! That's what I was looking for . I knew I'd seen it before on their site I just could find it.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
One minute is enough!

Come on, ONE MINUTE?!?!?!?!

It takes at least FIVE minutes for electronics and several hours for speaker surrounds to burn-in.

After that, any time required is that which is necessary for you to become accustomed to what your system sounds like.

ErikM

Sep 24, 2014
Jersey
Thanks for your opinion, but I think I'll stick with the Manufacturers recommendation.

Last edited:

isquirrel

VIP/Donor
Sep 23, 2014
Brisbane, Australia
I have found that that my Shunyata cables need 400-500 hours for the sound to stabilise, they do tend to go back and forth on initial burn in, so much so that when I upgraded form Alpha PC's to Sigma's I thought I had made a terrible mistake, however as usual they came good around the 400 hours mark, try also not to move them around, I find that if I more mine a lot they need some time to settle down again. I have never experienced anything that requires this much burn in, but the result is well worth it !

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
I just install them on my gear, and let them get accustomed to their new home. I enjoy them at the start, and at some point later I really enjoy them.

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
One minute is enough!
I didn't realize that the components in post #1 included loudspeakers.
So:
a] Loudspeakers could require one hour burn-in time. But this could be shortened to 10 minutes with test tones.
b] Post #7 suggests that 5 minutes is a better value. OK, I'm good with that. Old electrolytic capacitors will require a lot more time to re-form.

Don't confuse 'burn-in' with 'warm-up'. Many loudspeakers and some electronic components require a warm-up after each cold start.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
I have found that that my Shunyata cables need 400-500 hours for the sound to stabilise, they do tend to go back and forth on initial burn in, so much so that when I upgraded form Alpha PC's to Sigma's I thought I had made a terrible mistake, however as usual they came good around the 400 hours mark, try also not to move them around, I find that if I more mine a lot they need some time to settle down again. I have never experienced anything that requires this much burn in, but the result is well worth it !

I can't speak for every piece of gear that's out there, but in the case of Shuyata PCs, I fully agree with my colleague from "down under". Two weeks is a reasonable time for the the Alpha or Sigma digital PCs to break-in. I have a respectful disagreement with those that think fan burn -in can substitute or effectively minimize burn-in time since I don't believe "wire has a memory". But perhaps YMMV. As far a speaker burn-in for an hour? Of this I am deeply skeptical. My bet is the most manufacturers of high quality loudspeakers would agree. But perhaps Blue Fox has the right approach. Just hook up your new gear and start playing and wait for the enjoyment factor to incrementally accrue as it comes!

Last edited:

Gregor

Mar 14, 2015
Marty, could you elaborate on how you condition your PCs. Are you playing your system during the whole period, or just the component the new PC is powering? I'm also doubting that fan break in is the same as actual use. I put 200 hr on a ? digital before installing it on a BDP-1. Initially, it was a night and day difference (I even reduced the volume), then it became less impressive. At present I'm looping music through the BDP-1, waiting to get back to what I heard at the beginning. I concur with iSqirrel regarding moving the cables as little as possible.

Last edited:

Gregor

Mar 14, 2015
Marty, could you elaborate on how you condition your PCs. Are you playing your system during the whole period, or just the component the new PC is powering? I'm also doubting that fan break in is the same as actual use. I put 200 hr on a ? digital before installing it on a BDP-1. Initially, it was a night and day difference (I even reduced the volume), then it became less impressive. At present I'm looping music through the BDP-1, waiting to get back to what I heard at the beginning. I concur with iSqirrel regarding moving the cables as little as possible.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing