One Amigo Visits Utah To Hear 5 Reference Turntables-My Step Beyond

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
It's funny how it all started with horns and they still might be sitting up at the the peak of the summit... Bionors +1 to the one day experience wish bucket list along with the WE, Gary's Genesis Dragons and the Magico M projects.

Horns came naturally to WE when they were designing their theater systems. IMO horns still are the most natural way to sound reproduction, problem today is that for the most part its a lost art specially when it comes down to the available cone drivers. No one today is making paper cones light and fast enough to blend with the compression drivers and that's one of the reasons why you see so many half baked solutions for the bass section on the market. Low wattage SETs are the natural partners to horns and even JBLs who make their own drivers lack the sensitivity and efficiency for SETs.

david

Reactions: Amir

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Re Reading the comment regards the beauty and naturalness of the Neumann Cartridge--would that be akin to it being a Mirror Image of the Cutter Styli?(ala Neumann)

Interesting:)

BruceD

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I am planning to visit sometime later this year. Looks like it will be November, as I want to visit one other person on that trip who is not ready yet. I have 3 more western Electric demos before the Bionor. I think Vintage horns, and then maybe vintage gear, is the next hobby. It trumps all.

The WE systems in Munich too used to use $5/m cables, like ddk, and they trod all over the Magico Ultimates, Vox, etc at Munich in 2014. I have no doubt the Bionors will too.

How long did were you there, Steve, it must be tough to demo so much gear.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Great thread Steve. I agree that people really love reading about this stuff and fellow enthusiasts' systems. This and your recent three amigo thread are wonderful reads. Thank you for making the effort to share this with the forum.

Your enthusiasm for this particular system is clear in the OP. It makes me wonder if we have really advanced home audio in the past few decades. Of course, this system is at an extreme end of the hobby and those speakers require huge space and commitment, as does all of that vintage analog gear. It is inspiring to read that someone has gone to these efforts and is so welcoming to others. Just wonderful.

Fellow member Ack, uses that Oistrakh/Bruch Scottish Fantasia LP for reference. And I love the Peggy Lee Greatest Hits LP. Looks like you are getting the Fever for analog.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Hi Bruce,

SME 30xx arms all have the knife edge bearing but there are two versions, Nylon or Steel, I prefer the Steel one.

Regarding your ground network, one of the three I installed is a star layout similar to yours but the wiring is quite different, happy to share, just contact me offline.

The early SAEC 12" are excellent but are very rare and very expensive these days.

david

David, congratulations on this wonderful system. As an only analog guy, I'm intrigued by your collection of vintage gear and am particularly interested in your SME arms. Have you compared these SME 30xx arms to their latest V-12 arm in your system? I'm curious to know if the top SME arms have gotten any better over the years.

Perhaps this is better moved over to your system thread, but I saw you comment about the arms here.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Great thread Steve. I agree that people really love reading about this stuff and fellow enthusiasts' systems. This and your recent three amigo thread are wonderful reads. Thank you for making the effort to share this with the forum.

Your enthusiasm for this particular system is clear in the OP. It makes me wonder if we have really advanced home audio in the past few decades. Of course, this system is at an extreme end of the hobby and those speakers require huge space and commitment, as does all of that vintage analog gear. It is inspiring to read that someone has gone to these efforts and is so welcoming to others. Just wonderful.

Fellow member Ack, uses that Oistrakh/Bruch Scottish Fantasia LP for reference. And I love the Peggy Lee Greatest Hits LP. Looks like you are getting the Fever for analog.

I don't know much about Bionors but I doubt any new manufacturer has the budget and focus that Bell Labs spent on Western Electric speakers or that GIP spends on their tweeters. Those speakers were made to sound good, while current improvements are to have it more compact. You will find that those who have heard Western Electrics at Munich and like them really view the world as WE and then, far below, somewhere new hifi. I assume ddk's bionors fall in that category.

The Bruch Scorrish fantasia LP was the one that I loved in the WE demo at Munich this year. Best violin heard on hifi

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I haven't heard the WE in a system such as David's but I can say if indeed they are better than the Siemens they must be truly amazing. For my ears the Bionor was as perfect a sound as I have ever heard and I did comment that David's system has become my new reference

Reactions: Amir

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
If this is the best according to steve ( respect for david who put it together off course ) then it makes me wonder as peter already mentioned , where is the progress then in high end reproduction over the years ???
Apart from the lamm amps its all vintage .
I think however that regarding to house music which i also like this system wouldnt be optimally suited

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I haven't heard the WE in a system such as David's but I can say if indeed they are better than the Siemens they must be truly amazing. For my ears the Bionor was as perfect a sound as I have ever heard and I did comment that David's system has become my new reference

Hi I meant ddk's speakers fall in WE category, different from new hifi, which PeterA was referencing. I think David has heard both WE and Bionor. You should travel to South Korea where one of the Hyundai owners is opening, or has opened, a WE museum that has 20 or so rooms

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
David, congratulations on this wonderful system. As an only analog guy, I'm intrigued by your collection of vintage gear and am particularly interested in your SME arms. Have you compared these SME 30xx arms to their latest V-12 arm in your system? I'm curious to know if the top SME arms have gotten any better over the years.

Perhaps this is better moved over to your system thread, but I saw you comment about the arms here.

Thank you Peter!

Your question is difficult to answer as it rests directly on my personal preference and favorite adjective, "Natural". The 3012 hits the "Natural" bullseye, specially in the low frequencies which have always been the most difficult to produce correctly and naturally for all equipment. There could be better arms out there but I stopped looking years ago because the 3012 is good enough where its important to me. I haven't heard the V-12 only the V that its based on. My SME V came with silver wiring standard, a sound that I detest, probably one of the reasons that I didn't take to the FR-66s. The V was dryer than the 3012 but yet more detailed in the mid, the kind of hyper detail that was bordering on hifi, something that was becoming the vogue in the 80's & 90's. Where the V really failed miserably for me while hailed by the reviewers was in the bass, tight and deep but totally unnatural and colored. In many ways the sound was technically great, the V had full control but never allowed the music to breath and come to life naturally. That's what I heard on my table and every subsequent exposure to the arm only re-enforced what I had heard. I had a Micro Seiki SX-8000 at the time, YMMV on a suspended table.

david

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
I don't know much about Bionors but I doubt any new manufacturer has the budget and focus that Bell Labs spent on Western Electric speakers or that GIP spends on their tweeters. Those speakers were made to sound good, while current improvements are to have it more compact. You will find that those who have heard Western Electrics at Munich and like them really view the world as WE and then, far below, somewhere new hifi. I assume ddk's bionors fall in that category.

The Bruch Scorrish fantasia LP was the one that I loved in the WE demo at Munich this year. Best violin heard on hifi

There are some differences between WE & Siemens theater horns. WE is a full range horn and depending on the model you have anywhere from 130hz-6khz to 80hz-8khz. The sound is very seductive and natural but limited and I've never heard a convincing presentation with the addition of woofers and tweeters to the horns. The Siemens is almost full range 50hz-16khz, not difficult to match and extend the lows another 20-25hz with subs. At the end of the day the Bionor is more dynamic and by extension more natural than what I found with any WE system. I wouldn't know where to start if I had to design bass cabinets and crossovers for WE speakers, unfortunately from what I've heard to date neither has anyone else...

david

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
If this is the best according to steve ( respect for david who put it together off course ) then it makes me wonder as peter already mentioned , where is the progress then in high end reproduction over the years ???
Apart from the lamm amps its all vintage .
I think however that regarding to house music which i also like this system wouldnt be optimally suited

Makes you wonder, doesn't it? And yes they do kick butt on house music, I just have to make some minor adjustment to the sub's crossover.

david

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
There are some differences between WE & Siemens theater horns. WE is a full range horn and depending on the model you have anywhere from 130hz-6khz to 80hz-8khz. The sound is very seductive and natural but limited and I've never heard a convincing presentation with the addition of woofers and tweeters to the horns. The Siemens is almost full range 50hz-16khz, not difficult to match and extend the lows another 20-25hz with subs. At the end of the day the Bionor is more dynamic and by extension more natural than what I found with any WE system. I wouldn't know where to start if I had to design bass cabinets and crossovers for WE speakers, unfortunately from what I've heard to date neither has anyone else...

david

Wow if they sound better than 12/13 A with GIP drivers that's quite something.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States

http://junkyardjukebox.blogspot.com/2012/10/western-electric-12a13a-adam-and-eve-of.html

There are many reports of folks like David who swear that a great horn is the "last word" in good audio reproduction. I guess the real mystery is, how did we lose our way from 1926 "SOA" sound reproduction using speakers such as the WE 12A/13A? I guess some would say we haven't really made much progress at all in nearly 100 years of loudspeaker design. So, are all current audiophiles and speaker manufacturers really nuts, if those ancient horns are as good as many say? At the very least, I'm now motivated to finding good horn systems and listening carefully to them.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing