One Amigo Visits Utah To Hear 5 Reference Turntables-My Step Beyond

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Thank you Steve, my friend, I'm humbled and looking forward to our next get together :)! That CD is arriving this afternoon so you know what we'll be doing tonight...;)

To confirm what Steve kindly wrote above, I strive for a balanced sound when building systems. It's not too difficult to have a system with impressive abilities but I always found that when not balanced and masked those outstanding qualities that initially impress tend to get in the way of the music and natural musical reproduction. IMO, at its best a high end system and the associated listening environment should fade away and not compete with the music.

To clarify, the Neumann DST cartridges on the AF1 & the AS table are the same quality, just slightly different in overall tonal balance that comes from sample to sample difference of handmade products. I find the AF one is a very fine turntable, maybe even the finest made today but with a different set of priorities than those of the other tables.

david

An amazing test David did was to play the below album ( which I have on tape from Tape Project) initially on the Tech Das AF1 with a Neumann DST cartridge which was simply beautiful. Then I asked him to play the same album on the American Sound turntable with his prized other Neumann DST. Simply put there was no comparison as the Tech Das as beautiful as it was just did not have the meat around the bones or the timbre and fullness that The American Sound conveyed. To me the latter was every bit as good as what I had on tape

http://www.discogs.com/Bruch-Hindem...ttish-Fantasia-Violin-Concert/release/3672209

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Good luck finding an American Sound TT. Sounds like you found the one you want.
What phono preamp were you listening to these tables through ?

Steve Williams

There seem to be only 2 in existence and David owns both of them one of which he has out on a permanent loan to the man who informed him about this very special TT

As I said earlier the electronics were the entire Lamm Signature line of which I own the amp and preamp. The Phono stage is the LP 1 Signature

Steve Williams

Good luck finding an American Sound TT. Sounds like you found the one you want.
What phono preamp were you listening to these tables through ?

Christian

please don't misunderstand as in spite of it all the AF1 is superb. Just that the sound of the American Sound with that special cartridge reproduced music on a level that heretofore I have never appreciated. Had one heard the same music on the AF1 with that cartridge I am betting that the sound would have been every bit as good

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Christian

please don't misunderstand as in spite of it all the AF1 is superb. Just that the sound of the American Sound with that special cartridge reproduced music on a level that heretofore I have never appreciated. Had one heard the same music on the AF1 with that cartridge I am betting that the sound would have been every bit as good

It does come off that your are picking on the AF1...what I will say....and this goes for all AF1 owners, if you don't have the table on an active isolation table like the Herzan for example, you are only getting to 80% of the table's sound potential.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
It does come off that your are picking on the AF1...what I will say....and this goes for all AF1 owners, if you don't have the table on an active isolation table like the Herzan for example, you are only getting to 80% of the table's sound potential.

He's not picking on the AF1, it was designed as the next best thing and professionals like Nishikawa know exactly where to make the compromises that will only show up in direct comparison with an AS or an EMT 927 which are still the pinnacle of turntable design, no platform will bridge that gap. Even so the AF-1 is among the best made today, maybe even the best, but from my conversations with them AF-0 will be their statement product and the one to watch for.

david

Steve Williams

Christian when compared to today's turntables the AF1 is truly in an elite class and honestly I love it . It's just that the sound from a 40 year turntable was better. Sad but true. Having said that I would own an AF1 in a heart beat so please, no argument from me. Do I have the $$$$ for an AF0 as David says, probably not.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Just stunning! I saw the LP of Rickie Lee Jones' debut album. If you don't have the AP 45RPM boxset, run........it is stunning!

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Great story, just magic and yes, these are definitely the threads that make a forum special. Loved the music and seeing the album covers really brings it to life and travel pics as well.

Big call but maybe next time you go Steve any chance of taking a video on your phone so you could upload a YouTube of the gear playing some of the music and capture the moment.

A big thanks Steve and congrats ddk for sharing experiences with us.

Reactions: PeterA

Steve Williams

Great story, just magic and yes, these are definitely the threads that make a forum special. Loved the music and seeing the album covers really brings it to life and travel pics as well. Big call but maybe next time you go Steve any chance of taking a video on your phone so you could upload a YouTube of the gear playing some of the music and capture the moment. Big thanks Steve and congrats ddk for sharing experiences with us.

Thanks Tao

Indeed it was a very special 5 days for me. I have to admit that I was so caught up in everything that was going on that my mind was racing. I agree that these are the threads that people want to read.

I don't know where you live but I would encourage anyone who has a love of music and wants to hear it through entirely vintage gear to contact David. He is bubbly, highly intelligent, knows stereo like no one I have ever met and he discusses it on a level that becomes easy for anyone to understand, myself included. He is the consummate host and will go the extra yard to ensure one has only a positive experience. This plus listening to David recounting stories of his high school days when he was teenager and a senior at a private high school in Switzerland will have you crying with laughter.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
A close mate has a crazy big horn setup and it is such a unique way to listen to music. We regularly swap nights spinning tunes on his horns and then here on the big panels.

I'd love to do a western electric system as a retirement project eventually and threads like this don't help cure the desire. I'm transcontinental down south in the down under but Lamm and Bionors would be worth the travel.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
What a fantastic thread...great pics...great story...and highly interesting equipment and music !

Steve Williams

A close mate has a crazy big horn setup and it is such a unique way to listen to music. We regularly swap nights spinning tunes on his horns and then here on the big panels.

I'd love to do a western electric system as a retirement project eventually and threads like this don't help cure the desire. I'm transcontinental down south in the down under but Lamm and Bionors would be worth the travel.

It was worth every penny for me as I own the same Lamm gear and as I told David I was anxious to visit not only to hear the electronics on such a system but also I have never heard a horn system that has captivated my attention. This will grab you fro the very first few notes as it becomes so evident to the ear. The beauty of the system was its ease and relaxation yet still conveying the feeling of every note. We were able to converse through the music rather than over the music. It was truly as if I were at the live event having a drink at the jazz club listening to Ella or at the town hall listening to Montoya. These speakers could reproduce the size of each venue with no problem whatsoever

I have never heard the Western Electrics but I did have a long conversation with David about them. He says that many are either not authentic vintage WE or are but have had many repairs to make them sound proper. David reminded me that if his room were much bigger the sound would have been better still. You need a large room for these speakers

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
It's funny how it all started with horns and they still might be sitting up at the the peak of the summit... Bionors +1 to the one day experience wish bucket list along with the WE, Gary's Genesis Dragons and the Magico M projects.

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Wow what a terrific musical soujorn--Kudos to Steve for relaying this wonderful experience-- one can only read in awe of such a collection of vintage masterpieces- (Incidentally sorry but I agree entirely with the placement of the TechDas TT in the mIx

I'v heard it over 6 times now and while excellent in execution -I feel it lacks warmth in presentation just my opinion as well). Those Speakers are wondrous --I've heard huge similar and know the feeling they impart--so involving!

Interesting to read the grounding rod setup --I have similar plan below --maybe it is close the Davids. His penchant for the 12" SME' is noted--having owned them myself --i fully understand where he is coming from there

I may ask D are they the knifed edge versions?-- I always thought the early SAEC 12" arms with those bearings were the most dynamic of all

Once again thank you for sharing this venture and God willing your long enjoyment

Good Listening

BruceD

Steve Williams

Wow. I'm sure David will reply as we had s long discussion about them. I know he has three systems outside each with a different configuration and IIRC he preferred the single rod with no added chemicals to the soil.

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Wow what a terrific musical soujorn--Kudos to Steve for relaying this wonderful experience-- one can only read in awe of such a collection of vintage masterpieces- (Incidentally sorry but I agree entirely with the placement of the TechDas TT in the mIx

I'v heard it over 6 times now and while excellent in execution -I feel it lacks warmth in presentation just my opinion as well). Those Speakers are wondrous --I've heard huge similar and know the feeling they impart--so involving!

Interesting to read the grounding rod setup --I have similar plan below --maybe it is close the Davids. His penchant for the 12" SME' is noted--having owned them myself --i fully understand where he is coming from there

I may ask D are they the knifed edge versions?-- I always thought the early SAEC 12" arms with those bearings were the most dynamic of all

Once again thank you for sharing this venture and God willing your long enjoyment

Good Listening

BruceD

Hi Bruce,

SME 30xx arms all have the knife edge bearing but there are two versions, Nylon or Steel, I prefer the Steel one.

Regarding your ground network, one of the three I installed is a star layout similar to yours but the wiring is quite different, happy to share, just contact me offline.

The early SAEC 12" are excellent but are very rare and very expensive these days.

david

Reactions: WeatherB

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing