One Amigo Visits Utah To Hear 5 Reference Turntables-My Step Beyond

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ha ha Bonzo, grounding box discussions get everywhere!
I would love to go R2R, but in the UK we have a fatal lack of good technicians to maintain and optimise the gear.
My Barco planetarium-grade CRT projector has precisely ONE guy over here who can service it. £55k invested in it will go down the drain if my guy fails to come thru. Luckily I've had 17 years of trouble free performance so far.
I have a new love on the analog front, and w/the unobtanium status of David's AS tt, this may be one of the few alternatives worth considering/lottery purchase.
Namely, the Sakia Reference Two turntable, 350lb of sheer slate monolithic seriousness to take vibration control to new heights, a unique all-new idler drive w/precise computer control - maybe w/a Shroeder LT linear tracking tonearm, or Schick 12", and an Emia-modified Panasonic NOS Straingauge cartridge w/bespoke valve energiser.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Ha ha Bonzo, grounding box discussions get everywhere!
I would love to go R2R, but in the UK we have a fatal lack of good technicians to maintain and optimise the gear.
My Barco planetarium-grade CRT projector has precisely ONE guy over here who can service it. £55k invested in it will go down the drain if my guy fails to come thru. Luckily I've had 17 years of trouble free performance so far.
I have a new love on the analog front, and w/the unobtanium status of David's AS tt, this may be one of the few alternatives worth considering/lottery purchase.
Namely, the Sakia Reference Two turntable, 350lb of sheer slate monolithic seriousness to take vibration control to new heights, a unique all-new idler drive w/precise computer control - maybe w/a Shroeder LT linear tracking tonearm, or Schick 12", and an Emia-modified Panasonic NOS Straingauge cartridge w/bespoke valve energiser.

I hope you know that "Mosin" here is indeed the brains behind the turntable. He can help you I'm sure if you're interested

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I know Steve, but there's so much interesting SOTA stuff I'd love to own. I've been turned onto Wheel Fi horns w/the help of Dave, and Win's beauty has been on my radar for a while. I just don't have $150k kicking about to order the lot!

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
I know Steve, but there's so much interesting SOTA stuff I'd love to own. I've been turned onto Wheel Fi horns w/the help of Dave, and Win's beauty has been on my radar for a while. I just don't have $150k kicking about to order the lot!

Spirit, I think you're off on the price, Saski II is in the $50k-$55k range and I'll repeat openly what we discussed in private that imo, Saskia is one the best designed tts made today. Everything I heard from Win regarding Saskia's design parameters is spot on.

david

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Dave, you misunderstand, I was putting together a WishList, w/the Wheel Fi horns/amps at $100k, and the Saskia at c$50k ($100k total) - sorry I was so misleading. I have a one off opportunity next year to POSSIBLY squeeze the funds for such purchases, or to stick w/my current giant killing performance tt and more reasonably priced horns (eg Sadurni Acoustics Staccatos at $40k).

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Dave, you misunderstand, I was putting together a WishList, w/the Wheel Fi horns/amps at $100k, and the Saskia at c$50k ($100k total) - sorry I was so misleading. I have a one off opportunity next year to POSSIBLY squeeze the funds for such purchases, or to stick w/my current giant killing performance tt and more reasonably priced horns (eg Sadurni Acoustics Staccatos at $40k).

A very respectable wish list Spirit, wish you the best to realize your dream!

david

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012

If you want it next year, now is when to say. ;)

(I do appreciate my turntable being on a want list!)

Spirit, I think you're off on the price, Saski II is in the $50k-$55k range and I'll repeat openly what we discussed in private that imo, Saskia is one the best designed tts made today. Everything I heard from Win regarding Saskia's design parameters is spot on.

david

David,

Coming from you, that means a lot to me. I'll have to bring one up one day to see how it compares to the icons. That would be great fun!

(If it beat them, I would probably get a Donald Trump size ego! :D)

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
David,

Coming from you, that means a lot to me. I'll have to bring one up one day to see how it compares to the icons. That would be great fun!

(If it beat them, I would probably get a Donald Trump size ego! :D)

I'm nobody Win, you're the one with the creation!

I would like nothing more than you visiting with Saskia, it would be fun and I wouldn't be surprised if she comes out on top, we can set it up offline just bring the right arm board :).

FYI, I enjoy Trump's ego!

david

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

david

Do you know what are the main differences between the Sasky I and Sasky II?
IMHO, the question is not how it sounds compared with the unobtainable The American Sound, but it would be nice to know how it compares with the EMT 927.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
My interest is drawn to the Saskia Reference 2, it's akin to my current tt on steroids. My Trans Fi Audio Salvation is 75lb of slate and high torque direct rim drive, the Saskia 300lb and modern iteration of idler drive. I'm confident there would be some similarities in sound character. Who can resist a platter that takes all of 8 minutes to come to a standstill when the motor is switched off. That's a hell of a combination of heavy platter and uber low friction bearing/superb tolerances.
Moisin, re ordering one, this is going to have to wait, the stars haven't totally aligned for this to happen.

airbearing

May 2, 2012
Munich - Germany
you'll get a good one much cheaper, prices in the US seem to be somehow fantasy like. Also regarding new products, especially when you have no sales layers involved.

www.AudioCirc.com

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
What keeps the Micro Seiki turntables out of the main system, and the Thorens in? I always assumed they would be better than the Thorens. Is there an ever so slight smearing due to the string drive system?

Bruce,
Didn't you know that magnetic tape causes cancer in laboratory rats? :D

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
A well set up tape machine at <$25k will trump a TT at any price! ;)

Definitely . My Studer A80R whack my AFO + Axiom + Koetsu Coralstone + Vitus Masterpiece phono costing more than 20x :confused:

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
A well set up tape machine at <$25k will trump a TT at any price! ;)

And having unlimited software to play on it is the real advantage :D

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing