One Amigo Visits Utah To Hear 5 Reference Turntables-My Step Beyond

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
You'd know it if there was anything wrong. I applaud your passion bonzo, you sure do get around.

david

Can you please also recommend other DIY horns, or less known horns, which are excellent, where we can listen to them, and which don't cost as much as foo speakers?

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Can you please also recommend other DIY horns, or less known horns, which are excellent, where we can listen to them, and which don't cost as much as foo speakers?

The question is too vague, contact me offline with more details.

david

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
David, I heard the EMT 927 with WE amps and WE 15A speakers in Paris at Tim's. Was extremely impressed though my knowledge of TTs is not that high.

I agree.

Bonzo, you need to meet up with us next time the Tres Amigos ride again :)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I agree.

Bonzo, you need to meet up with us next time the Tres Amigos ride again :)

That would be awesome. In three years or so hope to host you in London on a great horn system.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
The question is too vague, contact me offline with more details.

david

David,

Did you manage to listen to the JBL 66000 or 67000?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Any feedback on Kenrick Sound restores of JBL?

allvinyl

Apr 10, 2013
Burnsville, MN
Then you've crossed the GTA 2.5 off the list?

John
That would be awesome. In three years or so hope to host you in London on a great horn system.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
David,

Did you manage to listen to the JBL 66000 or 67000?

Yes, but never at home. They sound like crap with the Levinson gear but I've heard them with better electronics at a couple of my client's homes and they sound fantastic. They're also very beautiful, at least in my eyes. My issue with them the is that they're not SET friendly anymore. Maybe the Lamm ML3 can drive them but that would be it. That's why I stayed with the M9500, you can drive them with almost anything and sound great with both solid state and tube electronic.

david

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Any feedback on Kenrick Sound restores of JBL?

They do nice work but they have various levels of so called restoration. They have reproduction JBL cabinets, their own models loosely based on the JBLs, heavily modified originals and sometimes just basic refurbished ones, I'd stick with the latter.

david

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
David, just one thing - why did you not add a master tape deck to your toys?

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
David, just one thing - why did you not add a master tape deck to your toys?

Little annoyances like life, time, money, resources, etc., my craze of speakers and tts already took care of all that and then some! Toys you see are some of what I'm left with not what I purchased. Then there was the question of software which is very limited and expensive, many of which I've already heard enough times not to want to hear again. The heavy hitters like Steve, Airbearing, Christian and Mike L can tell you all about it and what it takes to get it right. As alluring as these high end decks and their sound quality are I'm in the sit back and enjoy phase of my life, not looking for new adventures. Though, I must admit that Airbearing's has a little Studer with my name on it :)!

david

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Figure $300-400 per album....2 tape reels and the full blown UHA Phase 12 deck with all the options will be around $25k. Not a cheap date venture by any means.

Wow that is almost as much as some grounding boxes :eek:

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
I had found this while researching the Shun Mooks - but surely the cost of the software plus this will be less than one of your TTs http://unitedhomeaudio.com/shun_mook_for_the_uha_tape_d.htm

Not necessarily, just take Christian's figure and multiply it by about 400-500 albums that would make a nice collection, it adds up fast. On the other hand I have thousands of LPs that on average cost me less than a couple of bucks and can buy many more for very little.

david

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
You could always get Lynn Stanley's Potions on R2R for $625USD

Potions Reel-to-Reel
This first generation reel to reel is, without exception, an extraordinary sounding album. IEC 15 ips 1/4 inch 10.5" double reels. The limited production of this particular version of the album is for the true collector. It comes with album artwork, a special box holder for the two reels, a signed photo by the artist and letter of authentication.
IEC 15 ips 1/4 inch 10.5" double reels (hub signed engraving by Bernie Grundman) of Potions $625.00-2 reel album.
Ask about for NAB format.
http://lynstanley.com/shop-online/shop-online-potions/

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing