One Amigo Visits Utah To Hear 5 Reference Turntables-My Step Beyond

ALF

Mar 15, 2012
Southwest
Steve, I am the last person to discount vintage gear as undesirable and my reactions on this thread did not imply otherwise. Still using a Forsell turntable that is at least 20 years old and I am still loving it dearly. However, I had no idea that (some of the) vintage gear could denand the same crazy prices as we have to pay for current top high end components. So from a price perspective that is indeed sobering. I am not questioning that David has very good systems. That said, asDavid I have some strong opinions and I am convinced that inserting Tripoint products will make the sound even better.

Interesting, inserting intriquing power conditioners...here, it would most likely present a a different result; not sure if it would be considered "better" by all...different, yes, certainly.

If by "better" one means more "live," then there is only one solution available. Buy the musical instrument of your choice, take a hand full of lessons, and give a recital in David's room, done :)!

In this case, with power done right, David has a wonderful blend of excellent examples of modern electronics, dealer disclosure, along with the superior solutions with his source and transducer choices.

It seems that the only way to crown the king of his TT collection, would be to move the magical SME tonearm and DST cartridge combination between the various contenders...futile, since the result would be the same, AS.

David, I am resting my ear, see you soon!

Cheers!
Alan

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Interesting, inserting intriquing power conditioners...here, it would most likely present a a different result; not sure if it would be considered "better" by all...different, yes, certainly.

If by "better" one means more "live," then there is only one solution available. Buy the musical instrument of your choice, take a hand full of lessons, and give a recital in David's room, done :)!

In this case, with power done right, David has a wonderful blend of excellent examples of modern electronics, dealer disclosure, along with the superior solutions with his source and transducer choices.

It seems that the only way to crown the king of his TT collection, would be to move the magical SME tonearm and DST cartridge combination between the various contenders...futile, since the result would be the same, AS.

David, I am resting my ear, see you soon!

Cheers!
Alan

:)!
david

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Vintage, modern, mystery boxes, etc., whichever choose is really a very personal choice. What's difficult is understanding how the gear work and knowing how and what system to setup in a particular space. There's a lot more to it than just connecting a group of expensive boxes together and throwing a few tweaks for good measure, that's where all the difference is made.

Excellent comment, David.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
David,
If you had to depend only on digital would you still choose the Bionors or other vintage speakers as your main speaker?

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
David,
If you had to depend only on digital would you still choose the Bionors or other vintage speakers as your main speaker?
YESSS! I prefer analog but there's a lot of music available only on digital, like the great album that Steve brought.
david

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
YESSS! I prefer analog but there's a lot of music available only on digital, like the great album that Steve brought.
david

In fact it was the last album of the trip. It sounded so damn good on David's system that his wife joined us downstairs. The three of us sat there for the entire album. It was the highlight of the trip and it was digital ;)

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
In fact it was the last album of the trip. It sounded so damn good on David's system that his wife joined us downstairs. The three of us sat there for the entire album. It was the highlight of the trip and it was digital ;)

By "highlight", do you mean it sounded better than the AS or that there was something else about the music or moment that made listening to this CD the highlight of the trip? Highlight in what sense?

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
By "highlight", do you mean it sounded better than the AS or that there was something else about the music or moment that made listening to this CD the highlight of the trip? Highlight in what sense?

Nothing in that sense, just that the music was great and my wife finally got a break from the kids and joined us for a good time for Steve's last night.

david

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Peter,

Were you feeling unsure? ;)

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
No, I simply wanted some clarity about Steve's comment. Of course, I have not heard David's system, so I don't want to assume anything.

It was just as David said. The point was that David's system sounded wonderful even playing digital through it :)

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Your posts have been very clear Audiocrack, I don't think that you discounted anything. Even with the current pricing the reality is that the top vintage gear still cost a fraction of their modern counterparts; which in many cases aren't any. Aside from the very top and the rarest, there are some incredible bargains out there that can be picked up for next to nothing. But here on WBF we only focus on the BEST! :D

Ground, grounding and all things electrical have been my pet peeve for a very long time, its been an uphill battle forever :mad:! I tried the product you mentioned along with its direct competitor and even went further with my own experiments. They don't have universal application and the level of their success and failure is system dependent, including the associated electrical plant. I generally prefer industrial solutions over audiophile ones when it comes to things electrical, there's a lot more transparency, no hype, backed by well known trusted brands and you have access to their engineers for tech support.

Vintage, modern, mystery boxes, etc., whichever choose is really a very personal choice. What's difficult is understanding how the gear work and knowing how and what system to setup in a particular space. There's a lot more to it than just connecting a group of expensive boxes together and throwing a few tweaks for good measure, that's where all the difference is made.

david

David, are you saying that you actually listened to a Tripoint Emperor or Tripoint Troy signature in your system?

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
David, are you saying that you actually listened to a Tripoint Emperor or Tripoint Troy signature in your system?

Yes, I borrowed a Troy from a friend to test at home but the Entrech was over at another friend's system who has the exact same electronics as mine. I have gone way beyond these boxes for passive chassis grounding tests, from simple connections to a pipe or rebar in the floor to all out craziness of burying 200' of high quality #2 copper wiring covered with special Japanese concrete.

david

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
David, I heard the EMT 927 with WE amps and WE 15A speakers in Paris at Tim's. Was extremely impressed though my knowledge of TTs is not that high.

Reactions: Springcreek

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
David, I heard the EMT 927 with WE amps and WE 15A speakers in Paris at Tim's. Was extremely impressed though my knowledge of TTs is not that high.

You'd know it if there was anything wrong. I applaud your passion bonzo, you sure do get around.

david

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing