SpiritOfMusic visit

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Last night my girlfriend and I had the pleasure of meeting Mark and listening to his system. This was the first time my girlfriend had ever heard a high-end audio system. (My stereo has been out of commission since before I met her.)

Mark’s system is interesting and eclectic, with exotic components by low-volume designers of whom I had never heard. The amplifiers are NAT’s 75 watt SET monoblocks from Serbia. The speakers, by Zu Audio in Utah, utilize dynamic drivers which cover 40 hz to 11 khz. We listened only to digital because Mark's cartridge and phone preamp are out for upgrade.

For the first couple of minutes we listened to a CD, with the turntable directly in front of us at eye level, I literally forgot that we were lighting to digital. Mark’s all-tube system sounds inviting, warm, relaxing and pleasurable. Nothing was the slightest bit edgy or harsh or bright. It is a system which conforms very well to my personal listening prefences.

Mark is fortunate that his loft has a 13’ ceiling. While I know that a high ceiling does not factor favorably on a Golden Ratio room dimension calculator I really believe that a high ceiling helps with sound. A high ceiling, somehow, gives the sound room to “breathe.”

Mark was a gracious and delightful host and I am grateful for the listening session. I am happy to have made another friend on WBF. I look forward to hearing Mark's system again when the cartridge and phono pre-amp return.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hi Ron, thanx so much for these words.
Very happy to have hosted you and your girlfriend. I have to say I was a little anxious - chemistry (lack of) w/new people, and the fact that my Zus are a little bit of an acquired taste (they don't really tick any of the typical audiophile requirements).
Anyhow, I needn't have worried, you were both delightful company, and it was esp great to hear your girlfriend's (and your's) enthusiasm for my sound (even 'though my choice of music was occas a tad challenging :eek:).
There is a member here who remains to be convinced by the Zus (they aren't for everyone, or even most people), but my most recent changes are proving to be radical in really bringing forth the strengths of them, and you were the second and third people who have heard the changes, and were 100% enthusiastic.
Backs up my really happy conclusion as to my sound, pretty much diffusing my urgency to audition a particular pair of horns that I had been planning.
You both have a return invite for Aug onwards to hear my tt when it's reinstalled.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing