Fall Photography During RMAF 2015???

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Hi guys. Question for those of you who live around Denver. I am thinking of coming to RMAF but also hope to hit the mountains and valleys to photograph some of the gorgeous fall scenery. I was years ago for a day or so and shot some images:

Love to come back and spend quality time and come back with much more decent images. And put my new toy, the Canon 5DS R 50 megapixel camera to good use. :D

Looking at online sites, it seems that by first week of October that RMAF is on, it may be past the prime??? Some places say the peak is likely around mid-september and others say it can go into October. I know it changes with weather but if you were me, would you bet on good colors prior to RMA?

Appreciate any insights.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Hi guys. Question for those of you who live around Denver. I am thinking of coming to RMAF but also hope to hit the mountains and valleys to photograph some of the gorgeous fall scenery. I was years ago for a day or so and shot some images:

Love to come back and spend quality time and come back with much more decent images. And put my new toy, the Canon 5DS R 50 megapixel camera to good use. :D

Looking at online sites, it seems that by first week of October that RMAF is on, it may be past the prime??? Some places say the peak is likely around mid-september and others say it can go into October. I know it changes with weather but if you were me, would you bet on good colors prior to RMA?

Appreciate any insights.

It depends where you go and the weather but it's definitely possible you will get some good shots. I also like when the aspen leaves fall and cover the trail, that can look really cool too. One of the best spots to go is South on 285 to Kenosha pass, about 2 hours from Denver. The Colorado Trail crosses the top of Kenosha pass. I'd also consider a drive on the peak-to-peak highway from Central City/Blackhawk to Estes Park.

Have fun!

Edit: these pics were taken 10/5/2011 at Kenosha Pass headed North to Georgia Pass

Last edited:

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Those are excellent images Dave. Thanks a lot for tips for where to go.

Gary, nice compositions especially the first one. I am thinking of going before RMAF so to maximize the chances of seeing something.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Thanks Amir... RMAF is a week earlier this year vs last I think, the shots I posted are probably very close to the same date you'd be here. The aspens were past their prime but still very nice...

LenWhite

Feb 11, 2011
Florida
systems.audiogon.com
I lived in Evergreen, Colorado for about a year. There's another scenic road starting from Georgetown (about 1 hour west of denver on I70). Exit to the town of Georgetown and take 381 (Guanella Pass Rd) south to 285. Once you get to 285 you can take that east back to Denver. The entire trip is about 3 hours driving time without stops. RMAF is early October this year so there may be a decent chance the fall colors will still be in evidence. Best bet is to check Internet weather sites a week week or two before RMAF. I've driven the road in good weather with a regular car before but it can be a bit of a worthwhile adventure - lots of elevation change.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Ah, that gives me more hope. Just looked up the date on the picture I had taken and it was on September 21st. RMAF is October 2nd to 4th.

I am trying to remember where I took my picture. I was staying at Stanley Hotel in Estes Park where Stephen King had written his novel. So it must have been Rocky Mountain State Park but now I am not sure.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I lived in Evergreen, Colorado for about a year. There's another scenic road starting from Georgetown (about 1 hour west of denver on I70). Exit to the town of Georgetown and take 381 (Guanella Pass Rd) south to 285. Once you get to 285 you can take that east back to Denver. The entire trip is about 3 hours driving time without stops. RMAF is early October this year so there may be a decent chance the fall colors will still be in evidence. Best bet is to check Internet weather sites a week week or two before RMAF. I've driven the road in good weather with a regular car before but it can be a bit of a worthwhile adventure - lots of elevation change.
Thanks Len! I remember taking one of those dirt roads up a mountain. It got so narrow and scary that I had to turn around halfway up! It was someone near colorado springs.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing