AYRE AX-5 Twenty is in the house

McLennan

May 19, 2015
Frankfurt/Germany
Today my new Ayre AX5 Twenty arrived, I've been waiting since March. Beautiful machine!
It's a combination of downsizing and upgrading, my Ayre K5xe and V5xe will be sold.

I'm really curious to hear the improvements of the Double Diamond Stage and the gain technology.

First, the new amp has to break in in my home office, with my old Dynaudio speakers and an older iPod as source. Already sounds promising, even with an iPod my 15 year old Dynaudios surprise me, they never sounded that good:confused:

Some pictures I took at the Munich HighEnd 2014:

Ayre AX5 - 1.jpg

Ayre AX5 - 2.jpg

Ayre AX5 - 3.jpg

Ayre AX5 - 4.jpg

Next sunday, when the weather is bad, the AX-5 will move into my system, when the weather is good, we will be at an oldtimer car exhibition in Baden-Baden, Germany, maybe I'll post some pictures in the car forum...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIQT9EwWCP0&feature=youtu.be

Cheers

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Congratulations! I love the Ayre gear plus they always take care of their customers. Please post listening impressions as it breaks in.

McLennan

May 19, 2015
Frankfurt/Germany
Thanks Joe, Ayre has a good upgrade policy and builds gear at reasonable prices (an integrated for +10.000$ a reasonable price? One can write this only in the WBF)
Ayre recommends >100 hours of break in time, so it stays in my office, I will surely report how much better it is than my old Preamp/poweramp combination.
There are quite a few very good integrated amps in the market which seem to be better now than a separate solution, up to a certain price tag. Your Devialet is also a fantastic amp, I heard it lately with a Hanss turntable, a Benz Gullwing and AudioPhysic Cardeas speakers, a very clear, grainfree sound, it only doesn't have symmetrical inputs which I personally prefer.

Last edited:

McLennan

May 19, 2015
Frankfurt/Germany
Hi

after only 60 hours of break in time in my office, I lost patience and was to curious how the ne AX 5 twenty would sound in my system.

On sunday morning, first I listened to Diana Krall, The Girl in the other room, 24/96khz with the old K5xe mp Preamp an the V5xe power amp, the I switched the amps to hear the differences:
firts impression: bass is presented much better, trebles come with more ease, the sound appears more transparent, textures where already better presented.
Mrs. Costello's voice had a little less volume, this might get better when the amp has fully burned in.

During the day, as the weather was fine, we drove to another 'WhatsBest' event, an old-timer car show in Baden-Baden, Germany, maybe, if there is interest, I'll post some pictures, Rolls Royce was the main sponsor, so among 450 old- and young timers there were approximately 150 Rolls-Royce and Bentley of all ages, gorgeous cars. With a quote from Sir Henry Royce, lets get back to the Ayre AX5-twenty: "Take the best that exists and make it better"

In the evening, I put on some records, one I really love for its musicality, good vibes and fantastic dynamic sound: Hugh Masekela, "Hope" (AcousticSounds 45rpm): Yes, that sounds better in every aspect, the new amp sounded clear and open, it lets the music flow, but, enough of the
the typical audio reviewer phrases: It sounds better than the old gear, and I enjoy listening to my favorite tracks even more. And it will even get better in the long run. Last night, the listening session had to be accompanied with a special drink to celebrate the new amp: Glendronach Single Malt 1989, Pedro Jimenez Sherry cask, sound enhancement at its best. What a day!

Kuoppis

Mar 27, 2015
Düsseldorf/Germany
Hello Jan,

I do have the KX-5 Twenty and VX-5 Twenty, recently back from an upgrade. I also find there was a significant improvement in detail clarity, bass definition and sound colors. Pretty significant improvement actually.

I also saw you have S3s as well, are you having them on the regular spikes or some other solution. I put mine on Stillpoints, quite nice, better low end definition.

So about your old timer event, what are you driving? I do not have a Rolls, just a '69 Pagode.

And my regular poison is Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban, Springbank for the finer occasions. Glendronach is quite good though.

Regards,
Kuoppis

McLennan

May 19, 2015
Frankfurt/Germany
Hi

According to your location Düsseldorf I might as well answer in german, but this is an american forum, I stay with english.

I have mine S3 on the standard spikes, I'm satisfied with that solution. With this system, I've reached a state where I just listen to music. Hopefully this lasts for quite a while. As I upgraded from the older combination K5xe/V5xe the change was significant.
Must be difficult to find a better solution for that money, as well integrated or separat pre/power amps.

Nice car, '69 pagode a true german classic, mine is also a german classic, but much younger, a 1990 Porsche 911 Cabriolet.

Now to the last common hobby, malt whisky, my collection consists of springbank 15yrs, my all time favorite Macallan Sherry cask, BenRiach and some signatory glen rothes. Unfortunately, this collection is not as consistent as my audio system or my cars

Regards

Jan

Kuoppis

Mar 27, 2015
Düsseldorf/Germany
Hi

According to your location Düsseldorf I might as well answer in german, but this is an american forum, I stay with english.

Hello Jan,

We could communicate in German as well indeed, Düsseldorf is not that far away from Mainhattan.

Quite interestingly we have made the same choices twice: Ayre Twenties/ Magico S3. Quite good combo though, I think. I do have a friend who has the AX-5 in his small setup and KX-R/ MX-R in the main set - both now upgraded to Twenties. He tells me that he really likes the AX-5, but especially with more demanding speakers the separates will give you more headroom.

Personally, I find I will need at least 3/4 of the KX-5/ VX-5 power to get the best out of Masakela's 'Stimela'. Magico's in general tend to benefit from watt reserves.

Regards,
Kuoppis

McLennan

May 19, 2015
Frankfurt/Germany
Hello Kuoppis,

certainly the Ayre KX-R/MX-R Combo, although I haven't heard it yet with my setup is the better choice, as well as the S7 ist the better choice compared to the S3... and so on.

To me, the AX5 twenty ist the 'Wolf im Schafspelz' or wolf in sheeps clothing in english, small housing, beautiful sound. Up to normal listening levels, 'Stimela' from the 45 AcousticSounds Vinyl issue is really breathtaking, love that record, not only because its a fantastic recording, also the african music ist really fun.

Enjoy your malts

Regards
Jan

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Bump

I know this thread is a little old, but I would love any updates on the AX-5 twenty or KX5/VX5 combo. Thanks.

fourxmotion

Jan 19, 2017
I have a QX-5 Twenty and VX-5 Twenty inbound. I am looking forward to experiencing first hand what everyone is raving about.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing