Voltage Stabiliser for UK folks

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
http://www.claudelyons.co.uk/index.php?prod=stabilisers

This product, Model TS-2, is supposed to be sufficient to stabilise voltage at 230v.

The distributor of Ansuz and Audience and Nordost (including Odin) in the Uk uses it, and then connects his Ansuz/Audience distributors to it. He runs Soolution into raidho and says it does not affect dynamics. Just 635 quid

Since my voltage fluctuates to above 250 this seems a good idea. Needs to be hardwired

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
http://www.claudelyons.co.uk/index.php?prod=stabilisers

This product, Model TS-2, is supposed to be sufficient to stabilise voltage at 230v.

The distributor of Ansuz and Audience and Nordost (including Odin) in the Uk uses it, and then connects his Ansuz/Audience distributors to it. He runs Soolution into raidho and says it does not affect dynamics. Just 635 quid

Since my voltage fluctuates to above 250 this seems a good idea. Needs to be hardwired

The Claudelyons TS series are mainly a variable transformer/stabilizer - it will not correct most harmonic mains noise. As they say - it does not add distortion, but will not correct it. If the transdormer is a high quality one perhaps it is a good choice if your mains is "clean". A friend of mine having too many mains fluctuations got a similar unit, but less expensive, from a different manufacturer and it degraded considerably the sound quality of his system. He is now very happy with an old ExactPower EP15A - it is not manufactured any more.

From their documentation:

Series TS voltage stabilisers employ a motor-driven variable transformer feeding the primary winding of a buck/boost transformer, the secondary of which is connected in series between the supply and the load, so as to inject an aiding or opposing correction voltage into the supply line.

When the stabilised output voltage deviates from the set value, due to a supply voltage or load current change, the sensor energises the motor to rotate the variable transformer brushgear until the correct voltage is restored.

This method of stabilisation inherently produces no harmonics, and therefore does not add distortion to the incoming supply

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
What's the worry with that?

BTW, I get a kick out of this part of their specifications:

"Environment Indoor tropical use"

Tropical use? :eek: :D

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi Micro, not expecting it to clean out mains noise, just stabilise voltage, and then one can add a distributor/conditioner to it

Amir, if I have a 230v product bought used from EU, or a 245v from the UK, then the voltage supply feeding into them ranges from 237 - 253, though not in bursts

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Amir, if I have a 230v product bought used from EU, or a 245v from the UK, then the voltage supply feeding into them ranges from 237 - 253, though not in bursts
So is your concern from reliability point of view? What does the product say it is rated up to?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
So is your concern from reliability point of view? What does the product say it is rated up to?
Both reliability and Sonics. I can't add a distributor or conditioner without stabilising voltage. I have to use a regenerator. Apparently distributors sound better, but then I have to stabilise voltage. Balanced power is too expensive.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Are there noise spikes generated when the motor engages? Is it a stepper selecting different taps, implying a discontinuity when it changes, or rather moving a stator/connection along the windings linearly (e.g. a motor-driven Variac)?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Are there noise spikes generated when the motor engages? Is it a stepper selecting different taps, implying a discontinuity when it changes, or rather moving a stator/connection along the windings linearly (e.g. a motor-driven Variac)?

No, the voltage fluctuations are just there. Nothing to do with equipment - rereading I think your question was a bit technical for me

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Sorry, I was asking how the TS-2 works, not questioning your voltage fluctuations.

A stepper can cause noise spikes of its own. A linear sweep across a coil is OK until the contacts get dirty, oxidized, or burnt and then again can generate noise. A design that moves say a core in and out would be seamless.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Bonzo,
another issue is that if you have moderate thd on the mains (say 5% for the first 20 harmonics) then this product really is not helping much as you will not have a full or even true sinewave for the amplifier power supply; in terms of both current (not sinewave measurement but current charging) and voltage (ends up not being a "true" sinewave due to the thd causing it to flatten).
2-5% and even worst happens often here in the UK, but this is compounded by time of day/region/etc.

This would be my primary focus rather than voltage stability product.
Cheers
Orb

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
So, what is the alternative? I was thinking of stabilising the voltage then adding a mains cleaner/conditioner

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Depends which country your based in, as this can influence which products are easily available.
In UK (see that is where you are) we have a bit more limited choice.
Just curious what is your amp/s?

Unfortunately most options could be a bit pricey in comparison to the Claude Lyons stabiliser, but then they work.
Cheers
Orb

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
My amps are going to most probably end up around 30w in the long term if I go horns. Unfortunately, the second dream alternative is planars so 200 - 400w amps.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Hi Micro, not expecting it to clean out mains noise, just stabilise voltage, and then one can add a distributor/conditioner to it

If your problem is just over voltage why don´t you simply decrease it by a fixed percent? I had to do it for some equipment when mains changed from 220V to 230V some years ago.

I built a supply box using a 230/12 V 300W transformer, connecting the secondary in anti series with the primary and taking the mains from the extremes. Vout = (230 - 12) = 218V+/-5%

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Yes but the voltage is not steady. Will that supply box keep it steady?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
One word. Balanced. Power. Sorry, that's two words. Airlink 3kVA transformer £400, rock steady voltage. Or my Westwick 8kVA unit at £5k

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
One word. Balanced. Power. Sorry, that's two words. Airlink 3kVA transformer £400, rock steady voltage. Or my Westwick 8kVA unit at £5k

5k is too expensive compared to 600. Also the Airlink is 3kvA, this guy is running Soolution amps which need more, so this stabiliser working for those.

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
Bonzo,
another issue is that if you have moderate thd on the mains (say 5% for the first 20 harmonics) then this product really is not helping much as you will not have a full or even true sinewave for the amplifier power supply;
Cheers
Orb
If I had an audio component, that was so poorly designed that it couldn't deal with 5% THD on the AC power line, I would quietly sell it on e-bay!
When you look at the current waveform of the AC input to a power amp with a linear DC supply, you will see 175 to 200 % THD.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
If I had an audio component, that was so poorly designed that it couldn't deal with 5% THD on the AC power line, I would quietly sell it on e-bay!
When you look at the current waveform of the AC input to a power amp with a linear DC supply, you will see 175 to 200 % THD.

Then you are disagreeing with everyone who has seen improvements using PS Audio (and similar products) regen/thd reduction and that of Keith Howard with his measurements pertaining to influence :)
Anecdotally it seems when hitting 2% is the point people notice a subtle sound quality difference.

Cheers
Orb

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing