Nulls

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
Here's some specs that may assist you....

http://www.gikacoustics.com/absorption.html

Lee
Lee: You are the best. I had been on their web site with another house/room and when I looked this morning, what did I find but ---- lo and behold, they are located here in Atlanta. I will call them this morning. Stay tuned (just don't ever buy the service of Rives Audio!!)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Audioguy,

I have used this calculator with great success. It reproduces the room modes of my room perfectly.

http://www.hunecke.de/en/calculators/room-eigenmodes.html

A cheap but useful software to model RT60 is Cara - Computer Aided Room Acoustics

http://www.cara.de/ENU/index.html

Good luck!

Thanks. The Hunecke calculator is very interesting but does not show nulls (at least if it does I can not interpret where they are). I think I'm now moving in the right direction based on the input I got from Nyal. I am trying to get hold of GIK to get some advice from them on the best way to treat the problem.

I must say that it really annoys the heck out of me that the designer of the room will not assist in this process since he has said probably 10 times "it's not the room"!!! To me, given all of the evidence to the contrary, his attitude clearly demonstrates either massive incompetence and/or just REALLY crappy customer service.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I have one (a null) that is VERY detrimental to the sound in my room and am trying to determine from which dimensions it is generated (the null is not in the bass region -- it is located in the sweet spot of between about 200 hz and 350 hz). I'm pretty sure I know but am looking for confirmation.

I just went back to read the first postings - rule number one before posting! (Rule number two - make no exceptions :) ! )
According to the dimensions of your room the range of frequencies of your problem is out of the range dominated by the room modes - this zone should end around 120 -140 Hz in your room, so spreadsheets and room calculators based in resonances are useless! The frequencies you refer are in the zone where diffraction and diffusion prevail - you really need advice from an expert!

Last edited:

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
This is apparently going to be an iterative process. We r going to try one thing and if that doesn't work we will move onto the next. Great customer service and I have yet to actually buy anything.

It makes Rives Audio lack of customer service even more obvious.

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
This is apparently going to be an iterative process. We r going to try one thing and if that doesn't work we will move onto the next. Great customer service and I have yet to actually buy anything.

It makes Rives Audio lack of customer service even more obvious.

It would be interesting to see before and after room measurments, from the GIK visit.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Yes on both accounts. OTOH, you should consider a measurement tool of some sort to verify/inform what you hear. I do not if you have anything but the cheapest is an RS meter with TrueRTA or RoomEQ Wizard.

Kal

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
Yes on both accounts. OTOH, you should consider a measurement tool of some sort to verify/inform what you hear. I do not if you have anything but the cheapest is an RS meter with TrueRTA or RoomEQ Wizard.

Kal

If you check his profile, you'll see he has a TacT RCS 2.2XP.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

Kal

I have REW, XTZ, a TacT and a SigTech. Last night I installed a GIK monster trap on the ceiling just in front of the listening position. The measurements before and after were identical. More importantly (and sadly) the sound did not change either. Next (I think) is to try another product (I don't know the name but it is a QRD diffusser mounted in front of a monster trap) on the rear wall. I think he was talking about using 4 or 5 of them.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
I have REW, XTZ, a TacT and a SigTech. Last night I installed a GIK monster trap on the ceiling just in front of the listening position. The measurements before and after were identical. More importantly (and sadly) the sound did not change either. Next (I think) is to try another product (I don't know the name but it is a QRD diffusser mounted in front of a monster trap) on the rear wall. I think he was talking about using 4 or 5 of them.
A bass trap will do less on the ceiling than in a corner and, up there, it will be little more than a panel absorber. The diffuser will not fix a null, either.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
A bass trap will do less on the ceiling than in a corner and, up there, it will be little more than a panel absorber. The diffuser will not fix a null, either.

All corners are already trapped. I currently have RPG Skyline diffusers on the back wall (at the recommendation of Rives). This next step is to replace the Skylines with this GIK product that is a combination QRD Diffusor/Monster Trap. The "guess" is that the null may be coming from the back wall (which is a stud wall up against concrete in a basement)

Observation: After having a number of visits and consultations with room acoustic folks, the process of fixing a very specific room problem is apparently a bit of hit and miss application of scientific principals. No one has been able to say: "do this and the problem will be addressed". It has been (by three different knowledgeable individuals) more of "let's try this and if that doesn't work, we'll try that". I find that interesting.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
It's very difficult to predict the density of a given room boundary, or its absorptive characteristics. Therefore, it becomes hard to predict the performance of a known product placed on those walls, etc. Unfortunately, most calculation models assume some amount of "fixed" values for walls, etc.

Lee

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
All corners are already trapped. I currently have RPG Skyline diffusers on the back wall (at the recommendation of Rives). This next step is to replace the Skylines with this GIK product that is a combination QRD Diffusor/Monster Trap. The "guess" is that the null may be coming from the back wall (which is a stud wall up against concrete in a basement)

Observation: After having a number of visits and consultations with room acoustic folks, the process of fixing a very specific room problem is apparently a bit of hit and miss application of scientific principals. No one has been able to say: "do this and the problem will be addressed". It has been (by three different knowledgeable individuals) more of "let's try this and if that doesn't work, we'll try that". I find that interesting.
Agreed. If the null is fairly frequency-restricted, you might consider trying a tuned membrane trap for it. Something like the RPG Modex Plate.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Trial and error is the way most scientific problems are solved. Haven't you watched "House?":)

Nyal Mellor

Industry Expert
Jul 14, 2010
SF Bay Area, CA, USA

This is very true, and it is because we do not have 100% correlation of measurements to subjective sound quality impressions. We have a set of heuristics (i.e. principles) that say 'to get good sound' do x, y and z with room acoustics. In most cases applying these principles will solve a room's acoustic issues. But not in all cases as you have observed. Thanks to the work of people like Floyd Toole we are learning more and more about how to relate measurements to subjective impressions but there is still a gap.

Some considerations:
-the first step is identifying the problem. Often this is a process of elimination and in this we must try and link subjective sound quality impressions to measurements or what we can visually observe about the acoustic design of the room
-the second step is to apply the most often used fix. Most acousticians will have a 'go to' solution for a particular issue, and this may be different from person to person. At a reflection point behind the listener one person may use a thick absorber another may use a diffusor.
-the third step is to listen. Does that solve the problem? If not then
-the fourth step is to work out if a) did we really identify the right problem or b) do we need to try a different solution

This is typical engineering in my opinion!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Did you take RT60 measurements with 1/3 octave resolution of your room? Or are you just relying on listening tests?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing