Mixing different level transparent cables

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
If I decide to move from Spectral to the new PS Audio Monoblocks I will revert back from MIT to Transparent cabling (which I prefer over MIT). I need some advise on the wisdom in mixing different level Transparent cables. I would buy used and happily hold on to MIT until a transparent shows up at the right price used - I refuse to take big depreciation hits on cabling.

I currently own one standard transparent reference (MM2) IC, and need an additional IC and SC. I am primarily on the lookout for reference MM2, but am tempted by a used Opus that I may be able to get a killer deal on. It would be from a dealer demo, and I would get it calibrated for my gear. However, if the dividends are minimal of I don't use a full loom of Opus cables it may not be worth the extra cash.

Anyone mixed different level transparent cable and did inserting one higher grade cable yield significant incremental benefits?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I have a mixed set of their cables but can't really answer your question since I have not tested their effect together. What I can say is that the outside jacket seems to have dried up some over the 10+ year period I have had them. So if you are buying used, you may need to be mindful of the condition they may be in if they are as old as mine.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
If I decide to move from Spectral to the new PS Audio Monoblocks I will revert back from MIT to Transparent cabling (which I prefer over MIT). I need some advise on the wisdom in mixing different level Transparent cables. I would buy used and happily hold on to MIT until a transparent shows up at the right price used - I refuse to take big depreciation hits on cabling.

I currently own one standard transparent reference (MM2) IC, and need an additional IC and SC. I am primarily on the lookout for reference MM2, but am tempted by a used Opus that I may be able to get a killer deal on. It would be from a dealer demo, and I would get it calibrated for my gear. However, if the dividends are minimal of I don't use a full loom of Opus cables it may not be worth the extra cash.

Anyone mixed different level transparent cable and did inserting one higher grade cable yield significant incremental benefits?

Get the Opus!!!

I have several full sets of Opus XLR ICs and a Reference MM2 SC. As the tuning fork of Opus is much narrower than that of the Reference I considered downgrading to gain some flexibility. No way - the Opus is much better. As Transparent advises you should have an Opus immediately after the source.

If I could get a buyer to the Reference I would immediately get an used Opus - I learned that many owners do not like upgrading, they prefer buying new!

An audiophile confession - if it was not for the "extra performance" given by the Opus cable set I could seriously consider moving to an optimized Devialet system. But the Opus enlarge the gap significantly and I do not have access to an Opus tuned for the Devialets....

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Get the Opus!!!

I have several full sets of Opus XLR ICs and a Reference MM2 SC. As the tuning fork of Opus is much narrower than that of the Reference I considered downgrading to gain some flexibility. No way - the Opus is much better. As Transparent advises you should have an Opus immediately after the source.

If I could get a buyer to the Reference I would immediately get an used Opus - I learned that many owners do not like upgrading, they prefer buying new!

An audiophile confession - if it was not for the "extra performance" given by the Opus I would seriously consider moving to an optimized Deviale system. But the Opus enlarge the gap significantly and I do not have access to an Opus tuned for the Devialets....

It appears the used Opus I had my eyes on is MM generation, not MM2 (to be confirmed). If so, the deal is off the table, since I am only interested in MM2.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
It appears the used Opus I had my eyes on is MM generation, not MM2 (to be confirmed). If so, the deal is off the table, since I am only interested in MM2.

Yes, the MM2 is significantly better - more airy and much better definition. There are plenty of MMs for sale, very few MM2.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello, edorr. To answer your question from my personal experience? Yes and yes. I started at the lower models and when I could afford the better lines, I would replace the lower lines one at a time. With each step up, I noticed an improvement. The most significant difference with only one cable was when I stepped up to the Transparent References. That (the References) brought to the table a huge difference all across the spectrum with the biggest difference being with the focus, non-bloating and realism of the bass that I had no idea a cable could affect so well. When I added another one of those to the chain, same thing. I didn't notice any adverse effects within the Transparent lineup while trying to do what you are asking.

Perhaps not the same level you are on but I thought I would chime in. ;)

Tom

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Hello, edorr. To answer your question from my personal experience? Yes and yes. I started at the lower models and when I could afford the better lines, I would replace the lower lines one at a time. With each step up, I noticed an improvement. The most significant difference with only one cable was when I stepped up to the Transparent References. That (the References) brought to the table a huge difference all across the spectrum with the biggest difference being with the focus, non-bloating and realism of the bass that I had no idea a cable could affect so well. When I added another one of those to the chain, same thing. I didn't notice any adverse effects within the Transparent lineup while trying to do what you are asking.

Tom

Thanks. This is usefull insight.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass

Wow, I thought you were really happy with the Spectral. Would love to know why you would consider changing...

Too bad I recently sold my Transparent SC. I still have a 30 foot Ref XL MM2 RCA if that interests you...

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

Tom

Totally matches my own experience which started out with 2nd hand TA Reference (from the XL generation)...and one cable at a time going up to MM2 generation (RefMM just below Opus on ICs and XL on SCs)...all second hand but fortunately calibrated for my equipment...took almost 4 years to find...there was imho an even bigger jump than i expected in going up to RefMM (MM2)...

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Wow, I thought you were really happy with the Spectral. Would love to know why you would consider changing...

Too bad I recently sold my Transparent SC. I still have a 30 foot Ref XL MM2 RCA if that interests you...

I AM very happy with the Spectral. But I hate being locked into MIT cabling and Spectral preamp (I prefer tubes). So IF the PS Audio beats the Spectrals (or is equivalent) they go up on Audiogon. IF I prefer the Spectrals I'll send the amps back to PS audio. I like to try new stuff every now and then......

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I AM very happy with the Spectral. But I hate being locked into MIT cabling and Spectral preamp (I prefer tubes). So IF the PS Audio beats the Spectrals (or is equivalent) they go up on Audiogon. IF I prefer the Spectrals I'll send the amps back to PS audio. I like to try new stuff every now and then......

Thanks for the response. Best of luck, let us know what you think.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
If I decide to move from Spectral to the new PS Audio Monoblocks (...)

Do you know what is the output impedance of the BHK/PS Audio monoblocks? It is the key specification for the tuning of Transparent Audio tuned speaker cables.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
edorr,

I've ran mixed in the past...have to agree with the other posters. I also agree Opus MM2 is a great cable...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing