Problems with 2" recordings cubase and wave files

cynostic

Jul 6, 2015
I am a professional computer analyst and musician. My DAW is Finale 2014 and Kontakt 5. Occasionally I will use Cubase for compatibility reasons and complete final mixes with audacity.

A week ago I was given an assignment to correct some mistakes in a Cubase 5.1 song/file. The song has 23 tracks, all wave files transported from a 2" reel to reel. The initial recording had flaws (mistakes the musicians made)the other mistakes were timing mistakes caused by the transfer from the 2" media to Cubase. Unfortunately the 2" media is no longer available and only the Cubase version exists.

The producer wants to add 8 measures to the beginning and correct some of the mistakes thru out the song.
Problems:
1. the analog timing is not consistent
2. the digital timing is different with each track
3. the time code does not correspond with the digital or analog
4. Changing or adding time to one track changes the time through out the rest of the tracks almost randomly when played back in Cubase.
5. Bleeding on the song from one wav file to the next is very strong, when silenced, the timing changes.
6. All the individual files in this song are wave files and messing with the timing of one effect the others in Cubase 5.
7. I have move all the files into other wave editors with almost the same results, which leads me to believe the wave files have other hidden codes that I cannot phantom.

Any help on this subject? questions? Suggesting's?​

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing