hello!

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
hi there

i've just joined the forum so wanted to say thank you for having me, and to introduce myself
(apologies if this isn't the correct place for that).

i'm just your typical uk-based audiophile, a lifelong music lover who joined a rave collective in the 1990's and spent ten years putting on free parties and free festivals. this has given me a love of big sound systems in natural, outdoor settings and lead me to dig an amphitheatre in my garden. my current project is to complete the sound system for about 500 people to fill the amphitheatre.

i love big speakers and big amps, all the better for moving lots of air and plumbing the depths. for a long while i've hankered after an infinitely baffled sub for my domestic system but it isn't practical without major building works....maybe one day.

musically i have fairly catholic tastes; i love bass-driven electronic dance music, roots reggae rockers and dub, drum and bass, deep hard and slammin house, ambient dub, 70's funky soul, acoustic folk (that means alt-j), psychedelic or space rock (hawkwind) and classic heavy metal like black sabbath, deep purple and rainbow.

aside from music i love fell walking, mountaineering, driving and tuning japanese cars and most beasties...especially dogs and cats. and otters. and birds. bit of an all-round tree-hugger, to be honest

so thank you again for having me and i look forward to learning lots and hopefully some stimulating discussions!

best wishes
gavman

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hi Gavman, good to hear from the UK contingent, new as well as old.
Stimulating discussions? Most of the time. Prepare to be frustrated in equal measure otherwise.
Give as good as you get. Good luck w/being occasionally mangled by other members.
Other than that, we're all very friendly, tame and house trained!
Marc

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Not sure what a typical UK based audiophile is. Hope you are not like spiritofmusic

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
i'm just your typical uk-based audiophile, a lifelong music lover who joined a rave collective in the 1990's and spent ten years putting on free parties and free festivals. this has given me a love of big sound systems in natural, outdoor settings and lead me to dig an amphitheatre in my garden. my current project is to complete the sound system for about 500 people to fill the amphitheatre.
Welcome and love to hear more about your outdoor setup. It is the only place one can experience true high-fidelity bass, albeit, it requires enormous amount of power.

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
crikey that didn't take long!

by typical i guess i mean 'eccentric'...

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I would assume an amphitheatre needs something like Auro 3d? With subs in the wall/ceiling as an infinite baffle?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Four big bertha's? Fortunately you are not my neighbor!

Welcome to WBF!

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Welcome to WBF, infinitelybaffled.

I'm into bass-driven electronic dance music too :D I guess that if a pair of Genesis Dragons can fill this space, it might work for your outdoor amphitheater too. We played Infected Mushroom to club levels. If an infinitely baffled sub is not practical for your home environment, a servo-driven one might.

Dragon Theater.jpg

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Wow

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
^what he said!!

thank you very much for the welcome guys, i will start a thread about the amphitheatre with some pics. we're about to start digging again to do the final shaping on the near side, the far side is all set and ready for drains to go in. once i move all the boulders we've assembled for the waterfalls, that is.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
^what he said!!

thank you very much for the welcome guys, i will start a thread about the amphitheatre with some pics. we're about to start digging again to do the final shaping on the near side, the far side is all set and ready for drains to go in. once i move all the boulders we've assembled for the waterfalls, that is.

But what are the speakers? Is this a 2-ch or MCH?

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
I would assume an amphitheatre needs something like Auro 3d? With subs in the wall/ceiling as an infinite baffle?

i should have been more specific bonzo, it's outdoors.
i take it Auro 3d is modelling software?
the most technical i got was looking to the golden ratio for inspiration. the initial shape was more like a human ear / spiral, but on reflection i decided symmetrical would be better. so really driven by gut and intuition, but i am terrifically pleased with the result. my domestic listening room has a single door opening onto the amphitheatre, and despite the speakers facing the opposite direction they manage to sound better the further away you get and do a fair job of filling the arena with sound

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
i should have been more specific bonzo, it's outdoors.
i take it Auro 3d is modelling software?
the most technical i got was looking to the golden ratio for inspiration. the initial shape was more like a human ear / spiral, but on reflection i decided symmetrical would be better. so really driven by gut and intuition, but i am terrifically pleased with the result. my domestic listening room has a single door opening onto the amphitheatre, and despite the speakers facing the opposite direction they manage to sound better the further away you get and do a fair job of filling the arena with sound

Which speakers

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
But what are the speakers? Is this a 2-ch or MCH?

it's stereo.
the main speakers are a pair of thx rated cinema speakers, EAW MC4973f.
they require four stereo amplifiers per pair, two lf, one mid, one high.

they currently sit in storage at the back of my listening room, each one is the size of a full sized vending machine and probably a similar weight. i think i have done a deal for amplification, but they are competing with a boulder phono stage for funds and likely have to wait until september / october.

the plan is to use mc2 pro-sound amps; for the main speakers 2 x mc750 for mid / top, and a pair of mc1250 for the low frequencies.
i will then use another four mc1250's, one for each big bertha sub, and a pair of bss soundwave 'london' active crossovers / dsp. i'm getting good advice from the speakerplans forum.

finally the bh822 subs, aka big bertha aka Levan, are being built for me by my collaborator, Rob Hudson of Robson Acoustics. we will likely build them here as they are too big to move.
he was going to build crossovers as well, but the more advice i got the more it became apparent that wasn't the right way to go and a turnkey solution like the bss soundwebs was a better idea all round

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
20150202_220723.jpg

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
oh dear.
let's keep trying.... 20150202_221323.jpg

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Welcome to WBF, infinitelybaffled.

I'm into bass-driven electronic dance music too :D I guess that if a pair of Genesis Dragons can fill this space, it might work for your outdoor amphitheater too. We played Infected Mushroom to club levels. If an infinitely baffled sub is not practical for your home environment, a servo-driven one might.

View attachment 21449

that looks awesome Gary.
i will now have to do some reading on servo-driven subwoofers...

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Is that furry animal in front of the speaker a new tweek? Shouldn't you have one in front of each speaker to maintain proper balance?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing