Need help picking $30k speakers

johndoe21ro

Oct 3, 2012
Europe
Wow! So few recommendations for Marten, Tidal and Raidho... What's wrong with you people? :p

Last edited:

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Finally, if Magico is your preferred flavor and choice, I would hold off on them - delay your gratification until S5 v2 comes out shortly. Otherwise, you would spend a whole bunch of money on a new S5 v1 speaker whose value will drop as soon as the new version comes out. When that happens, you will likely hear the new S5 also, and may take a further hit if you sell your S5 v1 and upgrade to S5 v2.

Good Luck

What information do you have on a v2? Or are you just speculating.

If anything, the Q series has been out much longer than the S and would be next (Q5, Q3, Q1).

slcaudiophile

Nov 6, 2014
Um ... SLC?
After living with (and enjoying) my Vandersteen 2c speakers for about 25 years, I've decided to treat myself to a significant upgrade. My budget is about $30k. I've been going to the Newport High End show for a few years, and have found that in this price range, I have consistently liked the YG acoustics, Magico and Vandersteen models. The current models for each that I am focusing on are the YG Carmel 2s, the Magico S5s, and the Vandersteen 5a Carbons. Since I'm familiar with the Vandersteen sound, I'm interested in the views of others who either own the YGs or Magicos, or who have compared these models. I'm concerned about whether any of these are prone to listener fatigue, since it's hard to get a sense of how these sound in the long term when you can only hear them for 15 minutes at a show. Also, I'm curious about whether people pay list price for speakers in this price range or expect some discount off that.

going from vandersteen to YG will be a massive change. if you like the vandersteen sound i would go up in the line. if you are "prone to fatigue," which i am assuming means you like a nice layer of distortion (nothing wrong with that btw) you will find the yg or magico house sound to be WAY WAY WAY to much for you.

i went from genesis 7 series to wilson sophia and from wilson to YG carmel and then to carmel 2 and each with the exception of the latter was a massive change in sound and took some getting use to. i am happy with YG so i may go up the line but won't likely move to another line after i heard the YG sound, but i want to hear exactly what is on the recording first and foremost.

what people pay will vary, depends on a number of things. im not sure how that is relevant though. you have established a budget of $30K according to your post.

caesar

May 30, 2010
What information do you have on a v2? Or are you just speculating.

If anything, the Q series has been out much longer than the S and would be next (Q5, Q3, Q1).

Hey Keith,

As they say, the best predictor of future behavior is past behavior. The new S7, containing their trickle down innovations has been introduced earlier this year. The S5 is about 4 years old, so if I were a betting man, we see a new one at the next CES or Munich 2016. Obviously, we don't know for sure, but there rarely is an upgrade path with Magico. So it's probably fair to assume there will be a huge flood of S5's on the market very, very soon.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
How could I forget. Not sure anyone mentioned the vivid giya line yet. Best sounding speaker (to me) at Axpona. Totally blew me away. Now, you have to stomach the questionable aesthetics... I must hear though IMO.

caesar

May 30, 2010
How could I forget. Not sure anyone mentioned the vivid giya line yet. Best sounding speaker (to me) at Axpona. Totally blew me away. Now, you have to stomach the questionable aesthetics... I must hear though IMO.

Great point. Outstanding speaker. May be the most underrated brand in all of high end audio.

And if you love modern, the Giya leaves you breathless. :)

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
As they say, the best predictor of future behavior is past behavior.

I think the prospective states past behavior is no guarantee of future behavior. :)

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
if you are "prone to fatigue," which i am assuming means you like a nice layer of distortion (nothing wrong with that btw) you will find the yg or magico house sound to be WAY WAY WAY to much for you.

I have never experienced this fatigue with Magico speakers in a good system and room. They are extremely revealing, transparent and "honest" sounding speakers, but their is nothing inherent in them to cause listening fatigue, in my experience. In fact, they are generally very low in distortion. If such a system is fatiguing, the Magico speakers may just be spotlighting an issue somewhere in the rest of the chain, like improper cartridge SRA, or poor cables, or electronics, or a particularly bad recording, etc.

Magico speakers are often blamed for poor sound when in fact, they may just be the messenger.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Great point. Outstanding speaker. May be the most underrated brand in all of high end audio.

And if you love modern, the Giya leaves you breathless. :)

I love modern, but I can not dissociate - I would fear playing "Lucia Di Lammermoor" in such system.

Do you think that David Wilson decided to paint the introductory versions of the Alexia in orange color after seeing Jovovich with orange hair? :)

Attachments

• a1.JPG
    a1.JPG
    29.5 KB · Views: 207

caesar

May 30, 2010
I think the prospective states past behavior is no guarantee of future behavior. :)

When it comes to the random walk pattern of financial investments, I'm with you. :)

However, when it comes to human behavior and its entrenched patterns, I'm comfortable with my statement. ThAs a proud Magico owner, you know very well the company has pushed the innovation envelope. This innovation pattern is in effect part of their brand promise. And as you well know, Magico is a business, not a charity.

Out of curiosity, how long do you think it will take them to release S5 v2, and do you think the current S5 will be upgradeable to the newer S5?

caesar

May 30, 2010
I love modern, but I can not dissociate - I would fear playing "Lucia Di Lammermoor" in such system.

Do you think that David Wilson decided to paint the introductory versions of the Alexia in orange color after seeing Jovovich with orange hair? :)

Microstrip,

You have a wonderful sense of humor! Makes one realize what a limited communications medium internet forums are.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

I am with you there :D ... I will play it tomorrow (Lucia di Lamemoor, was one of my late father's favorite operas)
I need to hear the Giyas. A friend of mine whose ears i believe heard these and has decided to go for the G1, . To sat that I am not found of the Giya speakers as per their pictures would be an understatement. I may change my minds once I hear them ... this will be soon ;)

caesar

May 30, 2010
I am with you there :D ... I will play it tomorrow (Lucia di Lamemoor, was one of my late father's favorite operas)
I need to hear the Giyas. A friend of mine whose ears i believe heard these and has decided to go for the G1, . To sat that I am not found of the Giya speakers as per their pictures would be an understatement. I may change my minds once I hear them ... this will be soon ;)

Frantz,

Please report. Do you know what amplification will be used?

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
I'm surprised no one mentioned TAD Ref 1s. There's a used pair on Agon asking $43k. Might be over your budget. I thought the E1s were absolutely stellar at RMAF.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
I'm surprised no one mentioned TAD Ref 1s. There's a used pair on Agon asking $43k. Might be over your budget. I thought the E1s were absolutely stellar at RMAF.

I did.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing