Need help picking $30k speakers

Wolf_d3

Jul 5, 2015
After living with (and enjoying) my Vandersteen 2c speakers for about 25 years, I've decided to treat myself to a significant upgrade. My budget is about $30k. I've been going to the Newport High End show for a few years, and have found that in this price range, I have consistently liked the YG acoustics, Magico and Vandersteen models. The current models for each that I am focusing on are the YG Carmel 2s, the Magico S5s, and the Vandersteen 5a Carbons. Since I'm familiar with the Vandersteen sound, I'm interested in the views of others who either own the YGs or Magicos, or who have compared these models. I'm concerned about whether any of these are prone to listener fatigue, since it's hard to get a sense of how these sound in the long term when you can only hear them for 15 minutes at a show. Also, I'm curious about whether people pay list price for speakers in this price range or expect some discount off that.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Loved the Carmel 1s and everything I have read indicates the Carmel 2s are a significant improvement on the 1s
Were very musical, transparent and never experienced any listener fatigue.
Now using Kipod II Signature passives whose sounds have the same character as the Carmels but more of it and bigger scale.
Have you considered a used pair of Kipods?
A great alternative to new Carmel 2s and good examples available for a lot less than new Carmel 2s. Worth checking out the reviews on the YG website.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Check out lightly used speakers. You may be able to pick up a pair of $60k category speakers for your budget amount. You will have better sounding speakers than those that cost $30k new.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
I would choose a pair of MBL 11f's over any other option in the ~$30k-$60k range. (assuming you have the amps to handle them) To each his own.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Check out lightly used speakers. You may be able to pick up a pair of $60k category speakers for your budget amount. You will have better sounding speakers than those that cost $30k new.

would second that ... +1

rad

Jun 13, 2010
Ohio

I would have to agree with rockitman as well.
There are many a great speaker to choose from in this price range ( used ) if you can find them. I would throw the Evolution Acoustics MM2 & 3's in the mix for sure. IMHO better than some already mentioned.

Wolf_d3

Jul 5, 2015
Wow, this is an amazing forum. A lot of very helpful replies in less than a day. Let me try to respond; (i) I have not heard the Rockports. My bad. (ii) I have heard several models of Wilsons. T.H.E. show in Newport usually has several rooms showing them at different price points. Room setup is key, as I've heard mid-level Wilsons that sounded better (to my ears) than the showcase models. (iii) I've heard Kipods in the past and liked them a lot. I haven't heard them back to back with the Carmels. (iv) I've heard MBLs, but not sure if it was the 111fs. My reaction to the MBLs was that the tweeter called a lot of attention to itself. Extraordinary detail, but my concern was about how well I'd like them after a long period. They have a lot of fans, and this is in my price range, so I will add this to the list for a more serious audition. And they look cool. (v) I hadn't thought of buying used speakers before. Maybe I should. I would not be comfortable spending that kind of money on a mail order, however, so I think I'm limited to buying in the Southern California area. Thanks for the advice. Picking speakers in this range is what we call a high class problem.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I would have to agree with rockitman as well.
There are many a great speaker to choose from in this price range ( used ) if you can find them. I would throw the Evolution Acoustics MM2 & 3's in the mix for sure. IMHO better than some already mentioned.

I paid $65k for Wilson certified, 5 year warranty Alexandria x-2.2...after XLF went on sale...beats $160k any day.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
What electronics are you using Wolf?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
You've really got a wide range of option with those :)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
After living with (and enjoying) my Vandersteen 2c speakers for about 25 years, I've decided to treat myself to a significant upgrade. My budget is about $30k. I've been going to the Newport High End show for a few years, and have found that in this price range, I have consistently liked the YG acoustics, Magico and Vandersteen models. The current models for each that I am focusing on are the YG Carmel 2s, the Magico S5s, and the Vandersteen 5a Carbons. Since I'm familiar with the Vandersteen sound, I'm interested in the views of others who either own the YGs or Magicos, or who have compared these models. I'm concerned about whether any of these are prone to listener fatigue, since it's hard to get a sense of how these sound in the long term when you can only hear them for 15 minutes at a show. Also, I'm curious about whether people pay list price for speakers in this price range or expect some discount off that.

Also try listening to Martin Logan CLX or Analysis Audio Amphitryons modded for a change in box sound. And at that price you can get boxes with 2 subs with a nice high quality DSP box

LenWhite

Feb 11, 2011
Florida
systems.audiogon.com

Nyal Mellor

Industry Expert
Jul 14, 2010
SF Bay Area, CA, USA
Magico, Vivid, YG, KEF are all well engineered speakers. Magico don't have the great off axis of the other three but have other strengths IMO. Never had the pleasure of hearing Rockports. People with good ears have been saying Tidal have some great speakers. I don't like Wilson.

If you can find some you might also check out ATC actives, like the SCM50 or SCM100. Kind of under the radar in the US but a lot of professional recording studios use them.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
If you have loved Vandys for 25 years, I'd probably just buy the best ones you can afford. YG and Magico sound 180 degrees different from Vandy.

Second, I don't think the Stratos can drive several of the speakers mentioned (yes, I owned one and it prefers speakers with moderate impedance).

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Magico, Vivid, YG, KEF are all well engineered speakers. Magico don't have the great off axis of the other three but have other strengths IMO.
Never had the pleasure of hearing Rockports. People with good ears have been saying Tidal have some great speakers. I don't like Wilson.

If you can find some you might also check out ATC actives, like the SCM50 or SCM100. Kind of under the radar in the US but a lot of professional recording studios use them.

? [POST]223865[/POST] => Link from post #14

? [POST]223834[/POST] => Link from post #11

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing