Looking for thoughtful recording company - no HD

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Agreed! I think that the Berkeley Alpha DAC is far more musical compared to the Playback Designs. I still need to do the comparison between the Weiss and the Berkeley. I'm a manufacturer, but I don't make DACs and I have no intention of ever making DACs so I hope no one objects to my saying this.

Gary I am curious if you have had occasion to compare the Playback Designs vs the new Meitner Xd-S1

muralman1

Jul 7, 2010
Sacramento Ca
Below are a few quotes from a couple sources that trouble me (emphasis is mine). These little complaints are magnified on my system a thousand fold.

HDCD encodes the equivalent of 20 bits worth of data in a 16-bit digital audio signal by using custom dithering, audio filters, and some reversible amplitude and gain encoding; Peak Extend, which is a reversible soft limiter and Low Level Range Extend, which is a reversible gain on low-level signals. There is thus a benefit at the expense of a VERY MINOR INCREASE IN NOISE.

...in itself, the use of the first bit in the dithered least significant bit stream will DEGRADE the sound quality on a non-HDCD player by decreasing the signal-to-noise ratio but only by a minuscule amount.

HDCD Peak Extension, if chosen in HDCD mastering, will apply compression to the peaks which will be audible in playback on a non-HDCD system which does not apply the appropriate expansion curve.

First, one problem is that if you use a CD player without HDCD (like most do), you will hurt the soundquality. You will lose 1 bit of the 16 bit on the CD and the music can be compressed up to 11,5 dB :eek:

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Below are a few quotes from a couple sources that trouble me (emphasis is mine). These little complaints are magnified on my system a thousand fold.

HDCD encodes the equivalent of 20 bits worth of data in a 16-bit digital audio signal by using custom dithering, audio filters, and some reversible amplitude and gain encoding; Peak Extend, which is a reversible soft limiter and Low Level Range Extend, which is a reversible gain on low-level signals. There is thus a benefit at the expense of a VERY MINOR INCREASE IN NOISE.

...in itself, the use of the first bit in the dithered least significant bit stream will DEGRADE the sound quality on a non-HDCD player by decreasing the signal-to-noise ratio but only by a minuscule amount.

HDCD Peak Extension, if chosen in HDCD mastering, will apply compression to the peaks which will be audible in playback on a non-HDCD system which does not apply the appropriate expansion curve.

First, one problem is that if you use a CD player without HDCD (like most do), you will hurt the soundquality. You will lose 1 bit of the 16 bit on the CD and the music can be compressed up to 11,5 dB :eek:

The best answer to this is: read my article on the HDCD patent, which discusses all of these.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

muralman1

Jul 7, 2010
Sacramento Ca
Thank you for the link. I am sure folks who own, or are planning to own, HDCD capable players should read your summaries on the patent. Please forgive me when I say I won't need to.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Thank you for the link. I am sure folks who own, or are planning to own, HDCD capable players should read your summaries on the patent. Please forgive me when I say I won't need to.

I suspect he is suggesting that you read the patent papers not because you are in the market for an HDCD player, but so you can get some perspective on what it is you think is exaggerated a thousand fold on your system. The room that contains the audiophile world is papered with the proclamations of those who believe their systems are so resolving that they can hear the inaudible. But more often than not, it is still inaudible.

P

muralman1

Jul 7, 2010
Sacramento Ca
I suspect he is suggesting that you read the patent papers not because you are in the market for an HDCD player, but so you can get some perspective on what it is you think is exaggerated a thousand fold on your system. The room that contains the audiophile world is papered with the proclamations of those who believe their systems are so resolving that they can hear the inaudible. But more often than not, it is still inaudible.

P

P - Bring it on! I can demonstrate how insulation bleeds random energy into the signal sounding like white noise. I can place any preamp you care to champion with the one I have, and watch the dynamics and stage collapse. Give me your best oversampling CD player and see how poorly it reacts. This is not my fault. It is my findings of what works and doesn't work with my ICE amps.

muralman1

Jul 7, 2010
Sacramento Ca
But has any one done room measurements.

Room measurements..... This is very hard to do with bipole speakers. Check out the 80's reviews of these. The Scintilla couples with the room. Mine is not ideal, but it is very good. Symmetry is important with these speakers.

The sound improves some when I close the french doors, and big slider.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
The Berkeley Audio Alpha DAC indeed sounds wonderful. I can't wait to get one into my own listening room to have an extended listen - and they have already said that I can have one to try out after RMAF. Yippee!!

Agreed! I think that the Berkeley Alpha DAC is far more musical compared to the Playback Designs.

I respectfully disagree. Without extended listening sessions in a system that you are familiar with and with both units available for side-by-side comparison, one can not make a blanket statement like this.

We have listened to the Playback and the BADA in side-by-side comparisons in 2 systems for extended listening sessions and have to say the Playback is the better DAC overall. Besides, we feel there are several other DAC's that better the BADA in overall sound quality and function. These are the Weiss DAC1 MkII and DAC 2, the Lavry Gold, Prism Dream DA-2, EMM Labs DAC8 IV and the DAD AX24.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Bruce

What would be the Lavry Pro equivalent of the Lavry Gold? And what would be its price?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing