PS Audio BHK 250/300

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
I've been following a thread on the PS Audio forum regarding the new BHK stereo (BHK-250) and the monoblock (BHK-300) with some interest. Paul McGowan is downright giddy, first over the 250 stereo amp and absolutely gaga over the 300 monoblocks...would we expect him to not be? Talk is that the 250 will kill anything at any price yet the 300 monoblock is far superior to the 250. Of course neither has been reviewed so it's a waiting game. $7500 for the 250 and $15K for the 300s...not ridiculous if they are half as good as McGowan says they are.

kevinkwann

Oct 14, 2010
Kidneystone-on-Trent
Talk is that the 250 will kill anything at any price yet the 300 monoblock is far superior to the 250. Of course neither has been reviewed so it's a waiting game.

So what's a waiting game? Are you suggesting that the amplifier's legitimacy is somehow tied to a review?

es347

Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
I'm not suggesting anything my friend....What are you suggesting?

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Heard the monos at the Newport Show.
PS Audio was kind enough to let us try the monoblocs after-hours, as we're their Brazilian distributor. It is very, very good. It did certain things, like midrange beauty, on par with the D'Agostino Momentum we were using in that particular room.

alexandre

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I'm suggesting clarifiying your "it's a waiting game" comment.

For me its a waiting game, because I am in line to receive a beta version pair. Don't particularly care much about professional reviewers opinions (except that stellar reviews help create better resale value and liquidity), but always interested in what fellow audiophiles think of the unit.

es347

Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..

patpend

Member Sponsor
Jun 6, 2015
Arizona
For me its a waiting game, because I am in line to receive a beta version pair. Don't particularly care much about professional reviewers opinions (except that stellar reviews help create better resale value and liquidity), but always interested in what fellow audiophiles think of the unit.

That makes two of us (all of the above). To make matters worse, one of my ARC monos blew a tube a couple of weeks ago and (as always apparently) took out some surrounding countryside along with it so I'm without an amp at the moment while i wait for resistors...and I'm dying to hear the new OS for the DirectStream :(

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
That makes two of us (all of the above). To make matters worse, one of my ARC monos blew a tube a couple of weeks ago and (as always apparently) took out some surrounding countryside along with it so I'm without an amp at the moment while i wait for resistors...and I'm dying to hear the new OS for the DirectStream :(

So sorry to read that. I love my tube gear but, of course, am nervous about this happening. I love the idea of the Sentry monitor in the McIntosh amps. It would be nice if ARC or CJ could do something similar.

I hope the PS Audio BHK 250/300 are in fact great. Competition is good.

patpend

Member Sponsor
Jun 6, 2015
Arizona
Joe thanks for the condolences :) it was a relatively new KT150 tube to boot. The Sentry monitor is a great idea for ARC. During this downtime i bought a tube tester and have pondered just pulling the tubes every once in a while and checking them. Pretty sure this is going to happen again...

I have high hopes for the BHKs based on some of the early feedback on the stereo amps and how they sounded in Newport.

joecasey

Oct 5, 2014
Joe thanks for the condolences :) it was a relatively new KT150 tube to boot. The Sentry monitor is a great idea for ARC. During this downtime i bought a tube tester and have pondered just pulling the tubes every once in a while and checking them. Pretty sure this is going to happen again...

I have high hopes for the BHKs based on some of the early feedback on the stereo amps and how they sounded in Newport.
Sorry to hear about your ARC. What ARC model do you have? Where did you purchase the KT150's?

patpend

Member Sponsor
Jun 6, 2015
Arizona
They're Ref610t's that were previously uptubed by ARC to KT120s (which I put 500 hours on without a hitch). These 150s are from Kevin at Upscale. Probably just a fluke that one blew... I had checked the bias maybe a day earlier and they were all doing well within range...

joecasey

Oct 5, 2014
They're Ref610t's that were previously uptubed by ARC to KT120s (which I put 500 hours on without a hitch). These 150s are from Kevin at Upscale. Probably just a fluke that one blew... I had checked the bias maybe a day earlier and they were all doing well within range...
Interesting! So how does KT120 compare to KT150 in 610T?

Upscale is a reliable tube source. I have many friends bought KT150 for their ARC amps without issues. It's difficult to prevent tube arcing ... I guess it's the price owning tube amps.

patpend

Member Sponsor
Jun 6, 2015
Arizona
Interesting! So how does KT120 compare to KT150 in 610T?

Upscale is a reliable tube source. I have many friends bought KT150 for their ARC amps without issues. It's difficult to prevent tube arcing ... I guess it's the price owning tube amps.

The 150s are wonderful Joe-a vast improvement all the way from top to bottom, particularly the bottom end from the 120s. At the risk of blowing another 150 (which I hope is minimal), i'm going to keep them installed. The benefit is just too great. I love those amps and to be honest, whenever the BHK's arrive they will be in tough competition when I A/B them. I agree with you BTW. Kevin is great to deal with and has already replaced a couple of 150's for me...

es347

Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
..you two need to get a room...the thread has been officially hijacked :D

Avidlistener

Feb 18, 2013
I just wanted to mention for anyone in the New York city area who'd like to hear the Amps, I have recently become a PS Audio dealer and have BHK 300 mono's powering TAD CR1's, velodyne DD10+ subs and Enigmacoustics Sopranino Electostat super tweeter, in a quad wire configuration. I really should name this system something since I came up with the very satisfying combo. (Any suggestions?). I'm at www.triodepicturesound.com The amps are fully broken in with 500 hours or more and feed by ps audio DS Dac and currently only innexpensive Mogami gold XLR cables.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I have viewed a number of PS Audio promotional videos.PaulMcGowan is a good salesman. I would not put too much credence in his promotional efforts.The amplifier appers to be a promising design.

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
I have viewed a number of PS Audio promotional videos.PaulMcGowan is a good salesman. I would not put too much credence in his promotional efforts.The amplifier appers to be a promising design.

Agree that bloke can sell IceCreams to Eskimos:p!-- But his sly digs at opposition products is big letdown--yes the BHK Amp --I've heard it --is excellent--pity about the Digital stuff and PowerPlants --they're not up to snuff .

BruceD

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing