My experience with Lampizator

Status
Not open for further replies.

joecasey

Oct 5, 2014

What a ray of sunshine…..Looks like you don't really have much to offer. LOL!
McBloom, I'm disappointed in you. Do I have to spell out to you. Just a general observation and nothing to do with Lamp .. don't base purchases on SEVERAL raving over top comments on the WWW.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
That does not duplicate the experiment. Present him with a "blinded" choice and see what happens.

A direct comparison analog/digital was not the point I was making. My post reacted to the statement:

When digital was used, he would play for a few minutes and then leave the room. So, we need digital reproduction that will not drive children and/or small animals from the room.

My example proves that digital does not necessarily drive children out of the room. It also does not drive my two dogs out of the room, by the way.

In any case, it is clear that there are strong opinions and sensitivities on this matter, and I do not expect to change your obviously quite passionate opinion.

I do agree with you on one thing: There was always something fundamentally askew with digital, and in my view that was for the largest part rhythm & timing (next perhaps to other things). Digital never had that effortless foot-tapping quality that analog has, often even quite moderate analog. Like you I have gone through much digital gear, Cambridge CD3 > Meridian 208 > Meridian 602/606 > Wadia 8/12. It always lagged on the swing and rock factor; with the Wadia 12 DAC the swing was good (only when fed through my Tice Powerblock II; digital is very sensitive to proper power conditioning), but also the Wadia could not really rock. Enter finally my current digital, the Berkeley Alpha DAC 2. When driven by the Simaudio CD transport it is a veritable rock & roll beast, next to being able to swing like hell. In my experience it rocks and swings with the best turntables. To anyone who would want to directly compare, I'd say bring it on.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Guys this thread is going downhill. Let's wait till Lukasz gets back please.

Geardaddy

Oct 1, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Thanks Daddy! Daddy knows best. Love ya too! Gearjoey.

JoeCasey is to be commended for consistency in expressing his true nature. That being said, there is only one way to effectively deal with him and his like: censorship. To make this censorship stick, I propose a federalized union of audio sites with an elected board (aka parliament) that will be elected every five years. Its decisions and decrees will be sacrosanct and not challengeable. People like Casey will not be allowed to thrive and prosper in the context of such a union. The time has come....

Geardaddy

Oct 1, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Guys this thread is going downhill. Let's wait till Lukasz gets back please.

Bonzo, this thread started downhill. Don't worry though. Casey and exchange mock insults for the sake of humor and stirring up the PC crowd.

FWIW, this forum along with Audioshark are my favs (irregardless of the raw number of OPs!)

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Bonzo, this thread started downhill. Don't worry though. Casey and exchange mock insults for the sake of humor and stirring up the PC crowd.

FWIW, this forum along with Audioshark are my favs (irregardless of the raw number of OPs!)

This has been a very informative thread, REGARDLESS of what has been written to the contrary. Both we and Lampizator have learned something from this discussion.

Geardaddy

Oct 1, 2012
Charlotte, NC
This has been a very informative thread, REGARDLESS of what has been written to the contrary. Both we and Lampizator have learned something from this discussion.

It needs more rotten fruit and spray paint to be redeemed. The audio arm chair quarterbacking is a yawn.....like watching C-span.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Ok guys, everybody got there licks in? Yes?

Let's move on.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Closing threads is a last resort Christian. Better to appeal to our member's before having to resort to that. I hope the humble appeal is heard.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011

Subtle...LoL. I see the message to GD.

caesar

May 30, 2010
IMO this thread is a perfect case study for students in business schools. Almost all points of view were presented.
I believe the final conclusion depends on a standpoint, be it customer or manufacurer/dealer.
One thing nobody mentioned is that Lampizator as company is in very fast transition from DIY sector to serious business operation.
If you compare the lampi from 2-3 ago with today's big 7 and GG DACs, there is a real improvement in quality, still not the level of most prestigious hiend brands but with very good P/SQ ratio.
I am sure when Lukasz is back form holidays he will find a solution Ian could accept because he always was very friendly with customers. Now the question is if he can maintain this communication culture when company is growing , organization and HR policy will be crucial.

On the other hand the misunderstanding which arose between a customer and a dealer in a specific country should be dealt by the dealer , this is why the company builds distribution network and do not sale direct ex factory.

I do not see any reason to blame producer for the situation apart from being responsible for organization culture he establish in his network. My only doubt is if the customer when making decision about the audition at home had a good will to keep the unit or just wanted to have opinion about a fancy DAC. On the other hand the dealer should be not so strict about a number of days of the trial period when the expensive product is concerned. Finally, customer is always right and the dealer should bear it in mind.

Marslo,

This thread has turned into a great case study. But unfortunately, it hasn't been solved.

One key element people are missing is that as companies grow from a garage operation to a "real" company, they start incurring higher administrative and marketing costs. (At the same time, they are able to lower other costs due to volume purchases and scale.)

Furthermore, what most here are missing is an understanding that the high end audio is a luxury. How much is a Lampizator? I believe it's around $15K. Having a more reasonable trial period does potentially raise certain costs, such as parts/ money tied up in the inventory/ lent out units. What if the owner were to raise the price to $16.5K or $17K in order to support the more generous trial period? Do you think anyone would balk, or even notice?

Hell No!!!! It would be justification that this is a product in great and is in high demand. And it would make the buyer feel extra good that he paid as much for a DAC as many people have paid for a car. (Not poking fun at anyone. Yes, as high end addicts, we are all guilty here.)

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
I have spoken with ?ukasz today. He was out on Holidays, sailing on an open ocean with no Internet access. He didn't have the time to go through 400+ unanswered emails he got, or to read the forums. I tried my best to bring him up to speed. He was very sad when he have heard the story from me.

AFAIK, Ian already got 3 different offers from Fred (one of which was a refund). He now needs to make up his mind.

caesar

May 30, 2010
If you are a small manufacturer 30-day vs. 7 -day makes a lot of difference. Small business is high-end are most of the time run with very limited financial resources - I can imagine that loan interest rates will be high for an high end cottage industry and financing sources are not easy to find. These companies depend on income due to sales for the payment of next batch, and suppliers of hand manufactured products, such as special capacitors or chokes take a considerable time and minimum quantities to deliver an order.

Also, if they would have a 30 day return policy they would perhaps have to quadruple the number of stocked units - and once an unit returns it needs to be checked and re-packed, it can take a lot of time.

We should remember that after a few weeks many audiophiles loose their initial enthusiasm and start doubting about how well their money is being used. It would be nice to have real statistics of returns of comparable products. Please do not refer to Sanders for comparisons - some one accepting to listen to a single user speaker is not a typical user and their products have a special type of consumer, very different from Lampizator buyers.

In the end it all a business. Higher experimental period needs more money, implying higher margins. And bankrupt companies are of no good to the high-end. All IMHO, surely.

Microstrip,

You have engaged in an excellent iteration of scenario analysis. However, you have only presented a negative scenario. Obviously it is a possibility. But what is the chance of this scenario coming to fruition?

Also, your comments about data collection are excellent. However, there is no comparative data for tiny companies. There are only assumptions that are drawn by analogy to other economic situation that are better known and understood. And they are still assumptions - The way one gets data is by trying things and running small experiments within his company.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Ian will update us when the time is right, please let him have the private time to deal with it on his own terms.
He has owned up to the situation and has gone silent on the matter, we need to do the same.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
I have spoken with ?ukasz today. He was out on Holidays, sailing on an open ocean with no Internet access. He didn't have the time to go through 400+ unanswered emails he got, or to read the forums. I tried my best to bring him up to speed. He was very sad when he have heard the story from me.

AFAIK, Ian already got 3 different offers from Fred (one of which was a refund). He now needs to make up his mind.
Sailing, takes me away...

https://www.facebook.com/#!/FikusLa...574000374533/1669710399927558/?type=1&theater

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
May I ask, is this going to be the way of things from now on in the Web "super democratic, wash your underwear in public" world? I don't have any thoughts, pro or anti, re Lampi, but surely this could have been conducted a LITTLE BIT more behind closed doors. Now if 2 months on, nothing was being resolved, or the company were building brick walls as fast as complaints were coming in, then yes, make things public. But I can't support the public crucifixion going on here.
I'm condidering buying a pair of horns from the US which may leave me open to any number of potential pitfalls. I'm sure if there was poor resolution, I woudn't air this so soon in the process. But that's just me.
Lucasz better get on this, offer the damned refund, and put the lid on. No shelter in the Brave New Internet World.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Ian will update us when the time is right, please let him have the private time to deal with it on his own terms.
He has owned up to the situation and has gone silent on the matter, we need to do the same.

You make sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing