My experience with Lampizator

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I've resolved my issues with the LampizatOr distributor amicably. Thanks for the support, this matter is closed.

Last edited:

kevinkwann

Oct 14, 2010
Kidneystone-on-Trent
Any possible interest I might have had in trying/buying a Lampi ANYTHING has just evaporated. HE finds this depressing? I find it a whole lot worse than depressing.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Sorry to hear Ian. Hopefully, under the circumstances, you can get Lampi to take back an essentially new unit with about 2 weeks of time on it (and most of it not playing music properly from your description.) Good luck, and if you end up with it...hopefully, you'll be able to get it to suit your tastes or re-sell. There certainly are people who like Lampi sound so hopefully one of them will take if off your hands.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
ugh!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi Ian, this is most unfortunate. Feel depressed on reading this.

Also, I don't understand - if your 101d blew up today, there is still a technical fault, even if it's past 1 or 2 days beyond the trial period? Isn't that a reason to take back a product?

Last edited:

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
IMO the trial period should start the day the problems got solved. Not to mention Fred should show more flexibility because of the problems Madfloyd initially experienced.

Sorry it didn't work out for you Madfloyd. I love my Big 7 so much, I just ordered the Golden Gate. I've been always dealing with ?ukasz directly. He always has been great to work with.

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
Hi Ian,

I have been following along since you first received your Lampi B7 through all of the issues you encountered. I am very sorry to read about this unfortunate turn of events. I agree with Adam 100% that the clock shouldn't have started ticking until all of these issues were entirely resolved. Lampi not agreeing to take this unit back after all of these issues and most of all because you weren't satisfied with the unit is incredibly poor customer service and extremely short sighted from the ill will created. Trying to satisfy the customer should be their number one priority and that includes giving a refund if you're not satisfied. Apparently, great customer service only applies if you keep the unit. I guess we now know why they encouraged you to buy the unit rather than a free trial period like Pass Labs, which offers remarkable customer service by the way. If this is the way they treat you, I'll NOT be purchasing a Lampi Golden Gate.

Ken

Rrolack

Jun 30, 2015
I would even make the argument that the dealer's "two weekend" return window is still open, because the third weekend has not yet started. This is consistent with how return windows are typically defined.

For example, if you receive a 7-day return window, then as long as you request a return "before the 8th day has started," the window is still open. The same should apply here for "two weekends." This all assumes the trial starts only after the order is received in full (correct tubes included) - which is the only reasonable time to start.

Last edited:

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
My Lampizator dealer is very good. Very helpful. Your experience in no way represent how Lampizator or other Lampiztor dealers conduct business. From the communications, I wonder why both sides do not confirm the last date of the trial period especially when you receive a broken unit.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
My Lampizator dealer is very good. Very helpful. Your experience in no way represent how Lampizator or other Lampiztor dealers conduct business. From the communications, I wonder why both sides do not confirm the last date of the trial period especially when you receive a broken unit.

+1... Lampi has bent over backwards for me. I even received a damaged unit and they told me I could either fix it with parts they send, or ship it back on their dime. It didn't keep it from performing well and was past the audition period.

Don't some of these manufacturers have statements at the bottom of emails saying:

This email is private and confidential and intended for use only by the
individual to whom it is addressed, and therefore should not be disclosed,
duplicated, or forwarded, or should be immediately deleted if received in
error. It may contain recommendations or discussions that are the opinion
of the author.

Or something to the effect?

Rrolack

Jun 30, 2015
+1... Lampi has bent over backwards for me. I even received a damaged unit and they told me I could either fix it with parts they send, or ship it back on their dime. It didn't keep it from performing well and was past the audition period.

Whether or not Lampizator has historically had excellent customer service, is of no consequence or help to the OP. What matters here is how his interaction went, and only that.

Don't some of these manufacturers have statements at the bottom of emails saying:

of the author.

Even if they do, the OP is not obligated to honor such a request.

Separately, are you suggesting that the OP does not have the right to share his experience here?

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA

of the author.

Hi Bruce,

Glad to hear that you got excellent customer service. This is the way it should be. It's unfortunate that Ian did not receive the same consideration. The way Lampi handled his transaction is an absolute disgrace. They should be ashamed of themselves. But it's not too late for Lampi to rectify it if they want to.

Ken

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
Hi Bruce,

Glad to hear that you got excellent customer service. This is the way it should be. It's unfortunate that Ian did not receive the same consideration. The way Lampi handled his transaction is an absolute disgrace. They should be ashamed of themselves. But it's not too late for Lampi to rectify it if they want to.

Ken

Please note that it is the interaction between dealer and Ian. It is not Lampizator. I do not think Lampizator has given instructions to the dealer on this issue. Many people found Lukasz is very helpful and interactive.

Do you think both side are blameless? Ian has the idea that the trial period starts with the perfect condition. But the dealer thought that it was a small issue and even overnight shipped 101D tubes to Ian. Tube rolling is fun. But one do not expect tube rolling will change a B- sound to A+ sound. With working tubes, Ian should know whether Big7 is keeper or not and should inform the dealer that he has intention to return Big7 and confirm the last date.

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
If anything can be learned from this story, both side must state explicitly when the last date of trial period is. Do not leave anything open to interpretation.

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
Please note that it is the interaction between dealer and Ian. It is not Lampizator. I do not think Lampizator has given instructions to the dealer on this issue. Many people found Lukasz is very helpful and interactive.

Do you think both side are blameless? Ian has the idea that the trial period starts with the perfect condition. But the dealer thought that it was a small issue and even overnight shipped 101D tubes to Ian. Tube rolling is fun. But one do not expect tube rolling will change a B- sound to A+ sound. With working tubes, Ian should know whether Big7 is keeper or not and should inform the dealer that he has intention to return Big7 and confirm the last date.

This is not a dealer but Lampi's North America distributor. He represents Lampi and Lukasz. When Ian received the unit, there was a loose part rattling around inside the unit, he couldn't power it up, there was no user manual, the left and right channels weren't equal and they sent him different tubes from what he requested. Is it any wonder their trial period expired? Yes, I believe Lampi is 100% to blame and should take the unit back and give Ian a full refund.

Ken

LampiNA

Jun 30, 2015
I am Fred, co-Distributor of LampizatOr in North America and I wanted to address this thread from my perspective and fill in some details which I believe are being overlooked or miss-interpreted and are also omitted from the cut and pasted conversation. I know negative sentiment can be contagious, but I hope at least some of you will take the time to read this before drawing conclusions about my character.

Return periods are a practice that most manufacturers do *not* entertain and we believed to be generous in doing so. Our policy is a 7 day return window, but I extended Ian a second weekend so he could spend more time getting to know the unit. This was made clear to him in my very first email.

The DAC was received on June 12th and the return period lasted until the 21st. The unit was NOT broken or problematic, a simple fuse blew and Ian confirmed the next day it was up and running and has done so perfectly ever since.

A few days after receiving the unit, it was discovered he received a pair premium of NOS tubes instead of the stock Chinese 101Ds. This was discovered when he believed there might be a channel imbalance, but it turned out he was simply running the tubes at the wrong setting and all was resolved with the flip of a switch.

Ian was also overnight shipped a pair of 101D tubes with the invitation to keep the premium tubes and a friendly offer from me to loan him some of my personal stash to play with, which conveniently omitted from the cut and pasted emails... The replacement tubes arrived on June 19th... Even if this were to signal the beginning of his trial period, it would have lapsed on the 28th. BEFORE a return was requested.

We are not unwilling to honor our policy. Mr. Currie asked for something he was not entitled to, even under the most liberal of interpretations.

blbloom

Aug 5, 2013
This is not a dealer but Lampi's North America distributor. He represents Lampi and Lukasz. When Ian received the unit, there was a loose part rattling around inside the unit, he couldn't power it up, there was no user manual, the left and right channels weren't equal and they sent him different tubes from what he requested. Is it any wonder their trial period expired? Yes, I believe Lampi is 100% to blame and should take the unit back and give Ian a full refund.

Ken

Ken…..There was nothing wrong with the DAC. Unfortunately, that has conveniently not been made clear. It required a fuse change, which was already provided, and the flip of a switch, because the tubes were an upgraded pair and more than suitable to evaluate the Lampi within the trial period. The OP gave us his thought process about a unit he was not familiar with and assumed had trouble. The initial troubleshooting was insignificant. I am familiar with the DAC and those facts did not necessitate a longer evaluation period. It is unfortunate that so many of you are jumping aboard the Lampi bashing by someone with buyer's remorse, possibly because the DAC doesn't fit on his shelf.

Bruce

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Sorry to hear about this MadFloyd. We have all read stories about unfortunate experiences like this and how some companies step up and establish reputations that are the envy of the industry. Someone mentioned Pass Labs. That is an excellent example.

There is an opportunity here. It will be interesting to see if it is seized.

bmoura

Sep 6, 2013

I've also had great customer service from Lampizator. They have fielded questions, provided help with configuring one of their DACs for best results and most recently an upgrade to the new DSD 256 digital board.
Like Bruce, I would recommend them highly.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I am Fred, co-Distributor of LampizatOr in North America and I wanted to address this thread from my perspective and fill in some details which I believe are being overlooked or miss-interpreted and are also omitted from the cut and pasted conversation. I know negative sentiment can be contagious, but I hope at least some of you will take the time to read this before drawing conclusions about my character.

Return periods are a practice that most manufacturers do *not* entertain and we believed to be generous in doing so. Our policy is a 7 day return window, but I extended Ian a second weekend so he could spend more time getting to know the unit. This was made clear to him in my very first email.

The DAC was received on June 12th and the return period lasted until the 21st. The unit was NOT broken or problematic, a simple fuse blew and Ian confirmed the next day it was up and running and has done so perfectly ever since.

A few days after receiving the unit, it was discovered he received a pair premium of NOS tubes instead of the stock Chinese 101Ds. This was discovered when he believed there might be a channel imbalance, but it turned out he was simply running the tubes at the wrong setting and all was resolved with the flip of a switch.

Ian was also overnight shipped a pair of 101D tubes with the invitation to keep the premium tubes and a friendly offer from me to loan him some of my personal stash to play with, which conveniently omitted from the cut and pasted emails... The replacement tubes arrived on June 19th... Even if this were to signal the beginning of his trial period, it would have lapsed on the 28th. BEFORE a return was requested.

We are not unwilling to honor our policy. Mr. Currie asked for something he was not entitled to, even under the most liberal of interpretations.

Fred, you never mentioned any sort of official 7 day policy. you said:

"The leap of faith is relatively small as I will allow you a 2 weekend return window should the Big 7 fail to displace your runners up. No restocking fee, only shipping is your responsibility. "

Nowhere in this sentence does it say anything about a 7 day policy or you 'extending' it in any way. It actually sounded pretty casual to me. I'm sure YOU knew about your 7 day strict policy and felt you were being generous. Maybe you assumed I knew this. I did not (and I think it's pretty clear from my original email to you).

My audition was for 101d tubes which was made clear. The reason I had the switch flipped to the wrong position is that I thought they were 101d tubes. And as soon as I realized they were not, I simply stopped listening and waited for you to rectify the situation. I did not know these were 'premium' tubes and wouldn't have cared because I was only interested in 101d tubes (based on recommendations from this forum). Also, let it be known that you only 'overnighted' the tubes because your mail room screwed up and didn't ship the tubes earlier. I'm guessing you only overnighted them so I wouldn't miss a second weekend (which turned out to be my 'last' even though I didn't know it).

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing