New Recordings from First Impression Music

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Winston Ma at FIM just released a bunch of new K2HD Ultimate Discs - they are a special series, so individually numbered, limited edition.

I'm now listening to The Very Best of Andrea Bocelli - Vivere and the sound is astounding. They are not yet on his website, and he thinks that they will sell out before he can get a chance to have his website updated. When I went to pick up my order, they only had a few left.

Other titles are:
Kyung Wha Chung - Con Amore
Sarah Brightman - the Andrew Lloyd Webber Collection
Carpenters - Gold
Nana MousKouri - At Her Very Best
LSO/Argenta - Espana
Hayley Westerna - Pure
Kurt Edelhagen - Holiday in Italy

Call his office to order if anyone's interested.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I am after the Patricia Barber titles, will contact them.

Thanks for the heads-up Gary!

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Hi garylkoh,

Thank you for this post. I have the K2HD sampler and have ever since been waiting for their new titles.

DWR

Jul 26, 2010
Western burbs of Detroit
I sent them an email inquiring whether I could get a copy of the Carpenters Gold and here is the reply I received back.

Dear sir,

We have very limited 'The Carpenters Gold' in stock, it may or may not be available for sell to retail. We shall notify you if we have any that is available for sell.

-Ken

FIM customer service

DWR

Jul 26, 2010
Western burbs of Detroit
Hahaha Gary, yeah I thought I might get laughed at for that one, that should be a great sounding disc though, and thank you for the phone # I appreciate it.

Dan

DWR

Jul 26, 2010
Western burbs of Detroit
Gary, I just got off the phone with Winston (what a nice guy) the Carpenters Gold is not a K2HD that they have done. It is the same disc that is available thru Elusive disc, he was extremely helpful on the phone though. I really enjoy their K2HD recordings so I'll have to see what else they come out with in the future, thanks again.

Dan

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Dan,

Yes - the Carpenters Gold is not a FIM production. But Winston made a very, very limited number of Ultimate Discs out of it. If he sent you to Elusive Disc to get the disc, he's probably sold out of the Ultimate versions.

I'll demo the Ultimate Disc at RMAF, and I suspect that some people will laugh, but the wise ones will sit down and be mesmerized by the truth, warmth and emotion in Karen Carpenters voice.

Cheers
Gary

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Visited Winston yesterday - he is recovering from brain surgery - and found that despite his long recuperation, he hasn't stopped working!!

Two new titles have been released - and they are already almost completely sold out. They are in his new UltraHD format which he says is even better than K2HD. Both were mastered by Michael Bishop and when Winston demo'ed them, I was quite flabbagasted.

The first he calls "Loudspeaker Destroyers" with HUGE cone popping dynamics - Super Trio by Niels Thybo, Bo Stief and Lennart Gruvstedt. The final line in Winston's liner notes state "please be pre-warned that if your system catches fire and smokes as a result, we at FIM will not provide any warranty. Sorry about that."

The second contains some of my favorite music from Three Blind Mice - Tsuyoshi Yamamoto (Midnight Sugar, Misty), Isao Suzuki (My One and Only Love) and Yoshiko Goto (And I Love You So). I know... some of my friends tell me that Jazz needs to be American, and Japanese Jazz is 'Jass'. I love it all the same. The disk is The TBM Sounds!

Get them before they run out. Winston's on his run towards retirement, and he may not reprint any of the next 10 titles that will be his final works. (He's also got vinyl in the works..... single sided, 45RPM clear vinyl..... I'm saving my pennies already.)

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Visited Winston yesterday - he is recovering from brain surgery - and found that despite his long recuperation, he hasn't stopped working!!

Two new titles have been released - and they are already almost completely sold out. They are in his new UltraHD format which he says is even better than K2HD. Both were mastered by Michael Bishop and when Winston demo'ed them, I was quite flabbagasted.

The first he calls "Loudspeaker Destroyers" with HUGE cone popping dynamics - Super Trio by Niels Thybo, Bo Stief and Lennart Gruvstedt. The final line in Winston's liner notes state "please be pre-warned that if your system catches fire and smokes as a result, we at FIM will not provide any warranty. Sorry about that."

The second contains some of my favorite music from Three Blind Mice - Tsuyoshi Yamamoto (Midnight Sugar, Misty), Isao Suzuki (My One and Only Love) and Yoshiko Goto (And I Love You So). I know... some of my friends tell me that Jazz needs to be American, and Japanese Jazz is 'Jass'. I love it all the same. The disk is The TBM Sounds!

Get them before they run out. Winston's on his run towards retirement, and he may not reprint any of the next 10 titles that will be his final works. (He's also got vinyl in the works..... single sided, 45RPM clear vinyl..... I'm saving my pennies already.)

Yes Winston's been promising vinyl for some time now. Time to put up or shut up :)

Have the TBM mentioned on vinyl and all are awesome BTW.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
He's been working with Chad to get the vinyl done at his new pressing plant. Problem is that Winston won't compromise, and he hasn't issued anything new for nearly 9 months because he couldn't find a good enough CD pressing plant. Now that he has a good enough vinyl pressing plant, he's likely to be moving ahead real soon.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
He's been working with Chad to get the vinyl done at his new pressing plant. Problem is that Winston won't compromise, and he hasn't issued anything new for nearly 9 months because he couldn't find a good enough CD pressing plant. Now that he has a good enough vinyl pressing plant, he's likely to be moving ahead real soon.

Yes I'm waiting for that new Gary Karr recording, among others.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Gary,
Being in Europe I have little hope I can get these CDs - even selling small quantities obliges sellers to fill long customs forms and manufacturers can not do it for small orders.
Do you know if these CDs will be later released by HDtracks as music files ?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

RUR

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
SoCal
Thanks, Myles - I'll pre-order it. I have the Adagio and it's a thing of beauty.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Thanks, Myles - I'll pre-order it. I have the Adagio and it's a thing of beauty.

Yes, I have a friend who hates every reissue and even he bought the Adagio :)

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Gary,
Being in Europe I have little hope I can get these CDs - even selling small quantities obliges sellers to fill long customs forms and manufacturers can not do it for small orders.
Do you know if these CDs will be later released by HDtracks as music files ?

Try this: http://www.sieveking-sound.de/

He's the largest FIM distributor in Europe.

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH

I've got TBM's MS orig cd and a xrcd24 remaster a FIM reissue is tempting...I also have Misty(XRCD), but its not a fav as I don't like that performance...Midnight Sugar IMHO is much, much better. Sonics are excellent on both, though...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing