Incoming: 2 Studer A810 and one A807

Curt Palme

Jan 25, 2012
Gents, I am picking up two Studer A810 and one A807 locally. One A810 and the 807 are console versions with casters on the base. Original Studer I think. The other 810 is a portable version.

These so far are in great shape, at least visually. One has minor marks on the splice block, very minor, the other two are near perfect. Two transports are dead, although they light up, the portable unit works in playback. Two come with Studer NAB hubs. (I did all of 5 minutes of testing on site)

I listed these here instead of in the classifieds only to see if there's some interest. I can sell them as-is, but I'd much prefer to overhaul them, i.e. replace all the electrolytic caps that short out from time to time, replace the CPU battery, the pinch rollers that are cracked, etc. and do a full calibration.

I will be selling them for typical eBay pricing, ($3500 USD each give or take) more or less once I go through them and check out specs. If I sell them as-is, they'll save me 8-12 hours of time, and I'll sell for under typical eBay rates. . From what I can see, there's zero head wear on these. They were in a studio all their life, but not used like crazy, and super well maintained. 1 owner as far as I know. They were taken out of service about 10 years ago, and they've sat idle in climate controlled storage since. I powered them up and found 2 transports to be dead, much to the dismay of the seller. :)

PM me if interested. Should be ready to go in about 3 weeks, the time needed to get all pinch rollers to Terry's and back.

thanks!

Curt Palme

Jan 25, 2012
I will remember your commission. :D

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
Can it be modified to accept external preamp ?

Curt Palme

Jan 25, 2012
Yes it can, any reel to reel can be modded to accept an external preamplifier.

stellavox

Apr 23, 2010
And I picked up two A812's; went completely through them and will be offering the better cosmetic one COMPLETE with King/Cello playback electronics "built in" (actually mounted below the transport), later this month. Ready to go - "plug/n/play". Anticipated asking price around $6500.

Charles

Curt Palme

Jan 25, 2012
Lovely score! One of hte A810 and the A807 are sold. Waiting for pinch rollers, batteries and a recap kit to come in. the A807 is being a slug to fix, so I bought the manual on eBay as well. Should all be ready to go in about 3 weeks pending the mail. I may also have found a storage locker full of RTRs. I've got no idea what I'm going to find, but I will report back. Am going to look at them on Monday. :)

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
the A807 is being a slug to fix, so I bought the manual on eBay as well.

For anyone needing Studer manuals, here is the download link:

Studer Manuals

They all come in pdf format. There are brochures and everything else you ever wanted to know about Studers!

Curt Palme

Jan 25, 2012
Thanks for that! The 807 manual did load.. once. It's a 1 gig file, but the schematics read very poorly, so I decided to bite the bullet for $200 and get the real McCoy. I've had two 807s in within the last year now, so if that's any indication, the manual will be well used over the next few years. Will also grab the 810 manual once these sell.

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
For anyone needing Studer manuals, here is the download link:

Studer Manuals

They all come in pdf format. There are brochures and everything else you ever wanted to know about Studers!

Thanks but can't open manual for A80 R

Curt Palme

Jan 25, 2012
The one manual there for the A807 is 1 gig, it took overnight for it to download. MY guess is the same for the A80. When I opened the one off the Studer site, the scan was awful for the schematics, which is what I needed. I finally gave up and bought an original on ebay for $200.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Yeah, their servers are slow. It will get there eventually.
Good to have a hard copy though.

Curt Palme

Jan 25, 2012
I now have an original copy for the A807. My problem was that a typical capacitor shorted, blowing the -15 volt fuse. Found the cap quickly, but the fuse kept blowing. Then found a shorted bridge rectifier that drove that fuse. Replaced it, the fuse kept blowing. That's when I needed the manual. It turned out that I caused the final issue in the deck. I didn't pay attention when I unsoldered the bridge rectifier from the board. there's 4 of them, side by side in an A807. All of the bridge rectifiers orient the same way.. except the one that I pulled out, which is inserted 180 degrees from the others. Of course, I put mine in the same way as the others, which was backwards.
My mistake, but that's bad engineering of the Swiss (I'm 1/2 Swiss, so I can say that!), esp. when there's no ID on the board, as most manufacturers do.

I then spent 6 hours recapping the audio circuit, and am now waiting for the larger axial caps to change all those out. Pinch roller and VU meter bulbs also were replaced. The deck is flat to past 20Khz at all speeds, and it's sold.

Today's project: Recap two A810s. :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing