What is the BEST Portable Solution? Musical bliss where ever you are in World?

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Hi, John,

Yes, but it has been one of the worst cold and flu seasons, followed by a terrible allergy season. My wife and I had an awful flu. It felt like somebody was stabbing me in the chest with a spear when I coughed, and I couldn't stop coughing. Every ache and pain I had for the last fifteen year came alive again for about five days. I really can't remember a flu that bad, it hurt to take off and put on my clothes.

Didn't get the flu shot last year, but I will from now on. I only missed one year.

Hopefully, by next month, the allergy season histamine will start draining out of my system.

The Smokester

Jun 7, 2010
N. California
Most transportable system for plane, bus, train is phone + IEMs (in ear monitors). IEMs seal out the noise.

Best portable system, for when you get there, is Astell&Kern AK380 player, 384GB hiRez music with Focal Utopia headphones.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Last year, I lost my trusty 160GB iPod (Think I left it on a plane). I often use an iPod on planes (and beach vegging out) and coupled with my JHarvey IECs, find this combo is a particularly good solution for overseas travel. So I took the plunge and bought a custom Gen 5.5 iPod with a Wolfson DAC, an incredible 500GB storage and a battery life that appears endless. One of my favorite purchases. Utterly reliable.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-iPod-...468304?hash=item3cdee32e90:g:HrYAAOSwnLdWrxSh

caesar

May 30, 2010
Anyone hear the fairly new Audeze LCDi4 in-ear headphones? Attach those to a Chord Hugo or Hugo 2, and I think you get 85-90% of the best desktop headphone amp and reference level, over-ear combos. And with storage getting cheaper and cheaper, one may bring 512 gig of music (via micro sd cards) with them wherever they go.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Anyone hear the fairly new Audeze LCDi4 in-ear headphones? Attach those to a Chord Hugo or Hugo 2, and I think you get 85-90% of the best desktop headphone amp and reference level, over-ear combos. And with storage getting cheaper and cheaper, one may bring 512 gig of music (via micro sd cards) with them wherever they go.

Funny you should ask. I have a pair in for review and I love em. I am currently in Santa Ana for a Synergistic Research factory tour and I also was able to visit Sankar at the equally impressive Audeze factory a few miles away. I took the LCDi4s for the trip out here and used them for both movies on Delta and over the Onkyo Hifi app on my iPhone.

The transparency is incredible. Lots of detail but musical. Nice extension at both ends. Not bright at the top and not flabby on the low end. Excellent build quality and high quality case. I am a fan.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
on the cheap, I am using bluetooth I.Am Buttons which good sound for what they are and take up zero room while traveling. i'd love to hear them with a Hugo 2 which I believe is BT capable.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
Funny you should ask. I have a pair in for review and I love em. I am currently in Santa Ana for a Synergistic Research factory tour and I also was able to visit Sankar at the equally impressive Audeze factory a few miles away. I took the LCDi4s for the trip out here and used them for both movies on Delta and over the Onkyo Hifi app on my iPhone.

The transparency is incredible. Lots of detail but musical. Nice extension at both ends. Not bright at the top and not flabby on the low end. Excellent build quality and high quality case. I am a fan.

I agree to a point. I am currently using the iLCD4s with my MojoPoly as a Roon Endpoint. It is a remarkable combination (despite the growing pains of the Poly, still on the mend) for what it is. My main can system once was T&A DSD DAC-->Cavalli Lau headamp-->HD800S. I really got spoiled by the holographic out of the head soundstage of the that system. Granted the HD800S didn't sound so amazing when I used it with the original Hugo, but the Audeze does not create the same capabilities of those cans. I have had the LCD-X and now the iLCD4s and while, IMHO, the latter are better in all areas than the LCD-X they still fall short of transparency and holographic imaging of the HD800S. The iLCD4s are much more balanced top to bottom and as a "portable solution" are amazing when used with something like the MojoPoly.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA

How do in-ear planars sound with ambient noise on planes?

caesar

May 30, 2010

You really need a fairly quiet room for super - serious listening. You hear everything around you with them. But, boy, do they make music!

caesar

May 30, 2010

Great! I really love them! Like the Hugo line, I think it's a truly market-leading product, which is extremely rare in this hobby. I am not going to say anything else, as I don't want to prime you before you put pen to paper.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL

Hence why you need another IEM. They work just not great.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia

It works better than you think but if you want dead quiet then you have to go with noise cancelling. 1More has some new ANC IEMs but I have not tried them yet.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing