What is the BEST Portable Solution? Musical bliss where ever you are in World?

Fyper

May 16, 2015
Paris
Not only when I travel, but as soon as I set foot outside the appartment: AK240 + FLC8 IEMs from FLC Technology.

> 350GB of 16/44 flac files.

Simply can't do without it.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
No matter where I travel, the one essential must have for me are JH Audio inner ear monitors. They can be used with an iPod or directly to access the sound console on most flights with a standard minijack connector. I started with the cheapest ones in the product line which are the JH 5 for $399 (http://www.jhaudio.com/product/jh5-pro-custom-ear-monitor). I thought I lost them some so then ordered the JH15 (now discontinued or renamed) for $799. Miraculously, I then found my original JH5 so was able to do a good comparison (something that is ordinarily hard to do with custom fit monitors). I wouldn't go crazy looking to move up the line and if the JH5 was all you can afford, you will be very pleased. They are beautifully balanced. In fact, when I received the JH15, I thought they were too bright and I asked Jerry if he could modify them, which he did by adjusting the crossover to take down 3300 Hz. (they required a return to the factory but there was no charge!).

What I love about these is that they are fantastic on overseas flights. You can wear them while you sleep and it really removes most of the cabin noise. A downside is that you also can't hear what the stewardess is saying so you either have to take one out constantly, or excel in lip reading.

As many know, Jerry Harvey founded "Ultimate Ears", then sold the company but somehow managed to retain the design rights. Thus JH Audio was founded with virtually identical monitors to UE, but with lower prices across the board. Great products. Made by the guy who first mass marketed the field of custom inner ear monitors, now used by virtually all performing artists, stage actors, etc.

Last edited:

Jeffy

Apr 27, 2014
Orchard Lake, MI
The AK portables have wonderful screens and interface, but sonically I'll take HIFIMAN 901S over them anytime. Much less thin and bright and much more musical. No need for Hugo or an extra amp as you can pick up to 6 amp modules that fit in the unit.

Fidach Lad

Jun 24, 2015
Fidach
My second generation IPODs (i have 2) and a pair of AKG 701s with a 1M cable, a safari shirt for the Ipod, a plastic shopping bag for the headphones and a book, and a sleeping pill on 8-16 hour over-night flights. The rest is just too much too handle for this older gentleman.

caesar

May 30, 2010
Bump!
Seems like there a lot of product releases in this category...

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
To my mind, there is quite a subjective element as to what level of portability people will find acceptable. I personally lean towards minimalism for travel and run Tidal off my iphone into a Cozoy Aegis dongle amp / dac and then to Etymotic IEM.

Fidach Lad

Jun 24, 2015
Fidach
My second generation IPODs (i have 2) and a pair of AKG 701s with a 1M cable, a safari shirt for the Ipod, a plastic shopping bag for the headphones and a book, and a sleeping pill on 8-16 hour over-night flights. The rest is just too much too handle for this older gentleman.

I recently checked, it's a 5th or 6th generation IPOD Classic.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I'm using my Chord mojo now with an iPhone 6+ and Audeze Sines.

If you want more compact than that...I suggest an iPhone with a good music player app like the Denon Music Player and some high quality IEMs. The Cardas A8s are very nice but custom molded IEMs that fit your own ears are the most comfy.

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada

bmoura

Sep 6, 2013
Very nice! I also like the Audio-Technica gear - sleek, modern with just a little vintage design through the VU meters.

The selectable impedance inputs on the Audio-Technica DAC/Headphone Amp is an interesting feature. Don't see that on most DACs in the market.

RubenV.

Feb 23, 2015
I am using an iPhone 128GB with Tidal (playlists offline) or Onkyo HF (for local stored DSD, high rez and flac's) paired with a Chord Hugo and a pair of Shure SE846's (in-ear-monitors). I take this with me everyday to the office and on trips and holidays as well. Especially on planes and boats the pair iem's cancel a lot of noise around you.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I am using an iPhone 128GB with Tidal (playlists offline) or Onkyo HF (for local stored DSD, high rez and flac's) paired with a Chord Hugo and a pair of Shure SE846's (in-ear-monitors). I take this with me everyday to the office and on trips and holidays as well. Especially on planes and boats the pair iem's cancel a lot of noise around you.

Nice rig!

RubenV.

Feb 23, 2015
Nice rig!

Thanks! I am really happy with it. Never could have thought that I would use it that much. Although it is a different experience I get from my main rig at home, it is more then able to transport and immerse me into the world of music.

bmichels

Nov 30, 2012
The successor to the Astell&Kern AK380 is finally anounced :)

The AK Ultima SP1000 to be launched at MUNICH this week.

more info here: http://www.quebecaudio.com/index.php/astellkern-launches-new-product-lines-at-high-end-2017-munich/

• Dual AK4497EQ DAC
• Octa-Core CPU to optimize system performance
• Sound designed with high output power with low distortion
• 5 inch LCD screen, new GUI, USB 3.0, and multifunction wheel
and.... 12 hours playing time (advertised :) ! )

SS version available in MAY... and CU version available later.

but.... no infos about storage and about TITAL (and TITAL Off-line)

The Smokester

Jun 7, 2010
N. California
...The AK Ultima SP1000 to be launched at MUNICH this week.

• Dual AK4497EQ DAC
• Octa-Core CPU to optimize system performance
• Sound designed with high output power with low distortion
• 5 inch LCD screen, new GUI, USB 3.0, and multifunction wheel
and.... 12 hours playing time (advertised :) ! )

SS version available in MAY... and CU version available later.

but.... no infos about storage and about TITAL (and TITAL Off-line)

Native storage is 256GB + microSD card also up to 256GB. Total 512GB.

Tidal not available offline and exclusive to iOS and Android apps.

See comments at bottom of page here and subsequent page:

https://us.astellnkern.com/blogs/news/product-information-a-ultima-sp1000

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing