Strange Demo Aleph 0 and First Watt J2

RDSChicago

Nov 12, 2013
I have had Aleph 0 monoblocks for some time running the midrange on my Linkwitz Orion's. I am using the J2 to drive the tweeters. So I recently bought a few monitors, the Focal 1008's and Usher BE-718's, and figured the Aleph 0's would be a good match with the Aleph P preamp I also have. So the Ushers sounded a bit anemic with the Aleph 0 so for the fun of it, I tried the J2. For some reason, the J2 appears to drive the Ushers better and with more authority than the 0, which is far more powerful. Other than the J2 being 20 years newer, what could account for this discrepancy/conundrum? I was told the 0 measured to spec when I purchased them last year.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The J2 might have a better power supply. A long time ago I had a pair of 8 watt 300B monos driving VSA VR-1s. I also felt that my 2a3 integrated drove the same monitors better even if it made only 3 watts per channel. Later I got an ASL 300B integrated amp and these drove the VR-1s better than the 2a3 fitted with the exact same 6sn7, 300B and rectifier tubes used in the monos. By the way, at one point I also owned the Aleph P, Aleph 0 combo. They were sold to my brother in law who still owns and enjoys them to this day.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing