Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Hi there

about to push button on Allnic phono H3000

Anything i should consider like maybe going to H3000V

All sensible advice appreciated

Thx

A

The first thing you want to do is replace the stock rectifier tube in the (PS) with a nice NOS RCA Military spec 5U4G from the 50's to early 60's. I use those rectifiers in my H5000 DHT. It's an excellent phono stage and very quiet. I would get the V for various EQ curves if you have older pre 1957 records. Other rectifiers to consider are GZ32, GZ34, GZ37. It's really a voicing type of phono stage as each rectifier tube choice gives you a different presentation in terms of frequency extension and the level of bloom and decay. You may want to demo first if possible.

Last edited:

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I've had the H3000 in my system for several years; it replaced a Manley Steelhead (that had some serious tube rolling done). If you don't need the variable EQ curves, my bet (and I have not compared, just hypothesis) is that the H3000 without the extra variable may sound better. Agree with Christian re the rectifier tube- they aren't terribly expensive. The unit also needs to burn in 100-150 hours with music playing (I used one of those RIAA adapters to run a CD in constant rotation, in addition to playing music normally through it, to hear the changes). As to noise, I use 104db efficient speakers (Avantgarde Duos) and you can hear any nasties. I did have some tube noise from one tube, which Allnic quickly replaced. Some listeners find the sound of this unit to 'burnish' the signal; others find that it lacks detail. I don't suffer any of that, but I think it is listener and system dependent. Individual instrument placement is excellent, as is the ability of the unit to articulate the dynamics of individual instruments. I don't want to wax poetic about it, nor am I in the habit of telling people "buy it because I like it." One other thing- fooling around with physical isolation of the power supply makes a difference too; i think I wrote about some comparisons here of different 'footers' under the power supply a few years ago; I use the Stillpoints, which achieve a nice balance between the extremes of adding clarity without stridency. Also agree with the Rockitman that if you could try a burned-in unit in your system, it would make sense before you buy.
Good luck.

Joe Galbraith

Senior Member/Sponsor
Apr 22, 2010
www.arsetmusica.com
The first thing you want to do is replace the stock rectifier tube in the (PS) with a nice NOS RCA Military spec 5U4G from the 50's to early 60's. I use those rectifiers in my H5000 DHT. It's an excellent phono stage and very quiet. I would get the V for various EQ curves if you have older pre 1957 records. Other rectifiers to consider are GZ32, GZ34, GZ37. It's really a voicing type of phono stage as each rectifier tube choice gives you a different presentation in terms of frequency extension and the level of bloom and decay. You may want to demo first if possible.

Christian offers great advice. In the case of my H3000 I am the happiest with the NOS 5U4G. The GZ varients are better than the stock tube. My 3000 is the quietest phono stage I have ever had in my system. The flexibility of having adjustable EQ curves is a nice bonus, at an increase in cost. I have not regretted for one minute my going with the 3000. I also use the L3000 line stage as well.

David at Hammertone Audio is a great guy and a real gem to work with. Burn in with new units is a 150 to 200 hour road, but it keeps getting better the more hours you put on it. I'm biased of course, being an owner. However, I have stopped looking for THE phono stage since getting my Allnic H3000.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing