What About Doug Sax?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
http://www.soundunwound.com/music/Doug-Sax/234794?contributorId=234794

Doug Sax came onto the scene and proved that hardware had clearly surpassed software. I recall Thelma Houstons' I've got the Music in Me. many Like Mark Levinson argued you could get the same results with a 15IPS tape. Dougs' focus on recording had an undeniable, permanent effect on high end recording.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
http://www.soundunwound.com/music/Doug-Sax/234794?contributorId=234794

Doug Sax came onto the scene and proved that hardware had clearly surpassed software. I recall Thelma Houstons' I've got the Music in Me. many Like Mark Levinson argued you could get the same results with a 15IPS tape. Dougs' focus on recording had an undeniable, permanent effect on high end recording.

Greg:

Actually I think that M&K put out an analog sampler made from the back up tapes from their D2D sessions. Though good, the 15 ips tape version paled in comparison to the D2D LP. Personally, I think that a D2D done correctly with SOTA electronics is hard to beat. Just listen to George Cardas'D2D recording of Kip Dobler. Scary and it was made with ss electronics. Imagine if it had been made with tubes. The mind boggles.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
I was at a listening session around 1980'ish comparing very early CDs to LPs. Mark Levinson was there, with what IIRC was a 30 ips master on a custom-tweaked (by him) Studer. And, of course we had Sheffield Labs LPs on hand as well. At that time the CDs were not contenders for best sound. I met Doug and Lincoln Mayorga once after the first McBroom album; neither would remember me (a snot-nosed kid then) but it was great meeting two giants.

Doug Sax and SL arguably put the "fi" back into "hi-fi" at a time when (over-)processing reigned supreme.

Miss those days - Don

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing