Best concert blu rays to impress guests..

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
I always pull out HIT MAN by David Foster and am looking for other outstanding concert blu rays. Any input much appreciated...thanks in advance!

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
We use John Mayer concert often. Fantastic guitar playing. I actually like him better there than when he was famous singing pop music: http://www.amazon.com/John-Mayer-Wh...1435199118&sr=8-1&keywords=john+mayer+blu-ray

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
the strange thing about It might get loud; I first heard it on a friends system and it unfortunately kept crashing the br player at one particular section. figured he had a damaged copy, I purchased my own copy to watch in my system, and it crashes my player (completely different model) in the exact same scene. a firmware update later, it played fine.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
the strange thing about It might get loud; I first heard it on a friends system and it unfortunately kept crashing the br player at one particular section. figured he had a damaged copy, I purchased my own copy to watch in my system, and it crashes my player (completely different model) in the exact same scene. a firmware update later, it played fine.

Great music documentary. ...Yep, Blu-ray players were created with firmware updates in mind...a prerequisite in the times we live on.

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
Great music documentary. ...Yep, Blu-ray players were created with firmware updates in mind...a prerequisite in the times we live on.

i really enjoyed it, although when it ended i kinda felt sorry for edge, great player, but way out of his element in this guitar-god company.

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
great collection north, i got a glimpse of the B&W Orbison at TAVES, nice. I'm also a closet MJ fan.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
This is an issue with Blu-ray format in general. It has a massive Java stack in it and so just like any other software package, has bugs in it. Studios perform testing on a selection of the players and release the movie, letting others do whatever they do.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
i really enjoyed it, although when it ended i kinda felt sorry for edge, great player, but way out of his element in this guitar-god company.

Same here Edge was out done on every level but, Oh my god, In My Time of Dying at the end during the credit roll......kinda pissed they cut it short, it is amazing!

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Roy Orbison - Black & White Night
Legends of Jazz
Dave Matthews & Tim Reynolds - Live at Radio City
Chris Botti Live
The Police - Certifiable

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
Same here Edge was out done on every level but, Oh my god, In My Time of Dying at the end during the credit roll......kinda pissed they cut it short, it is amazing!

amazing indeed, too bad the firmware update couldn't extend that scene :p

page & company, in their prime (how the west was won DVD) ...
2015-06-25 08.33.16.jpg

not certain if the above DVD is available on BR ... nor am I certain the older film footage within would be better served on BR?

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I own ever single Concert Blu Ray mentioned here (except Roy Orbison), and these two beat the entire list of suggestions:

The Who - Quadrophenia, Live in London

Return to forever - Live in Montreux

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
The Who - Quadrophenia, Live in London

to be honest, I've witnessed the who -live- on one too many an occasion, even after their "retirement concert" in toronto decades ago. i much respect the band, but not really my cup-of-tea anymore.

this however ...
Return to forever - Live in Montreux
5063_medium.jpg

... looks very interesting.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
to be honest, I've witnessed the who -live- on one too many an occasion, even after their "retirement concert" in toronto decades ago. i much respect the band, but not really my cup-of-tea anymore.

this however ...

View attachment 21254

... looks very interesting.

Stanley Clark's bass solo on this disc is the best (MCH) recording of acoustic bass I am aware of (by a mile). I don't particulary care for a lot of the electrical stuff, but the acoustic recordings are to die for. Al diMeola solo is a far better recording of solo guitar than for example the Jim Reynolds / Dave Matthews disc, which is pretty good in its own right.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing