Amplifiers for 3.7i, what's your suggestion?

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Thanks Tao, I'm doing fine down south. A bit tad cold though, waiting on the new house to be built with better heating / cooling functionality...

Speaking of which- yes those earlier VTL's were quite sluggish, lacked transparency and definitely hardly inner detail. For dynamics and slam though it was plenty and generated quite a lot of heat (good for winter but not for tropics!) I had the Manley 350's- called the VTL Designer's Reference Series, built at the old VTL factory 1990, prior to the VTL/Manley split up. These were driving a pair of MG3.5/R's, with a CJ PFR as the preamp. However, in terms of musicality, my previous CJ Premier 11A, rated at just 70w of stereo power, beat these big monoblocks hands down!

I really don't know how Roger S comes up with his design but for that performance to price ratio, this is one of those products that beats many high-end contenders to dis-belief! Spending probably 30-40 grand would generate more refinement / accuracy, I wouldn't know. One thing for sure is that the Magtech is definitely not given enough recognition. If it had tubes or at least if Roger had placed some tubes in the background, I would have bought two of them!

I am very passionate about the musicality factor, not so much on power output at all, hence why I like and enjoy tubes and their after glow during late night sessions. However, unlike most SS gear I have listened to, this Magtech doesn't have any of that SS glare/harshness/brightness or any graininess whatsoever. It also sounds very warm as it runs in for a while and I think Roger mentions to leave them on... go figure!
They are extremely well designed and run cool. I guess like Bob Carver and Arnie Nudell, Roger is a legend in design and these guys know about high fidelity, and the way original music is sourced on recordings. That is why their gear has a solid feel, with a certain weight and powerful presence.

It is sad that Roger doesn't incorporate tubes in his amps but that he has better reasons for omitting tubes, and I know why.
Anyway, to those who own Magtech's- cheers for one superb amplifier with not only plenty of power on demand but also plenty of "musicality" on demand.
RJ

Birdwatcher

May 29, 2018
EU
In Germany the combination of Magnepan and Jeff Rowland is very common and recommended. Surprisingly here I cannot read about Rowland an all. Interesting.

Reactions: hongkongfoufou

StickMan451

Aug 11, 2010
Castle Rock, CO
Try a pair of Carver Black Beauty 350 mono blocks. Six KT120 output tubes per side. They are powerful beyond belief, they never ever strain or fail regardless of playback levels, all the while pumping out plenty of that ‘tube magic’ which draws me towards tube gear in general. They are not as extended on the top as many of the better SS amps, but through the middle they are much more ‘organic’ and rich sounding with excellent micro and macro dynamic capabilities. If you gravitate towards tubes you will like the 350’s.

Joto

Apr 21, 2019
Pass 250.8 with 3.7i complete control.
With the 1.7i I was very happy with a Parasound Hint.

hongkongfoufou

Mar 3, 2018
I have received my Magnepan 3.7i. I have connected them with Jeff Rowland Model 625. It's fabulous !

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I have received my Magnepan 3.7i. I have connected them with Jeff Rowland Model 625. It's fabulous !

I just received my 3.7i's as well last week. They are driven by a stereo Jadis PA100 rated at 150w. Ample power to drive Maggies. Previously I have 2.7s driven for a long time by ARC VS115, they were ok until the move the the PA100 sounded like the power was doubled. They say Maggies love power and to hear it is to believe it. :)

Reactions: the sound of Tao

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Jeff Rowland amplifiers with maggies, that's a superb combination. It takes the performance of the Maggie's to another dimension, which you wouldn't experience or expect from maggies until you try it.

Cheers Hk-foufou, enjoy those fine tunes!

Reactions: hongkongfoufou

hongkongfoufou

Mar 3, 2018
Jeff Rowland amplifiers with maggies, that's a superb combination. It takes the performance of the Maggie's to another dimension, which you wouldn't experience or expect from maggies until you try it.

Cheers Hk-foufou, enjoy those fine tunes!

Thanks !

Now I 'm more happy because I have now an Isotek Synchro Evo3 power cable C19 connected to my Jeff Rowland ... We play in another dimension...

Cybermaggies

Nov 27, 2020
Federal Way, WA
Sanders Magtech Monoblocks. 3.7i's came alive with 2kwatts. Dynamic range is now incredible. Sounds like live music on some recordings. Had the Parasound A21 previously which sounded great up moderate volumes but fell flat after that. Also tried some Primaluna tube monoblocks. Sound was smooth and liquid. Great for light jazz at low volumes or back ground music but any kind of music with dynamics at moderate volume the sound just fell apart.

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
The Magtechs are a great match for two main reasons:
1. They possess very good power supplies, which leads to stable current.

2. They also have the ability to hold themselves well when impedence drops, holding reactive loudspeaker loads well.

It's not all about the power, not at all. In fact when I was using several iterations of Maggie's and in particular the Apogee Diva, amplifiers that stood out in terms of high grade power supplies and utmost reliability were, CJ, VTL, and Manley Labs on tubes, and Krell, Mark Levinson, Jeff Rowland and Threshold on SS. Obviously there are a host of others like Pass Labs, which have rock solid power supplies. They're designs in power supply topology are outstanding!

There were quite a few highend amplifiers that couldn't quite drive reactive loudspeakers so well. Without mentioning names/ brands, as you mentioned they fell short on dynamics and transient peaks. They also couldn't recover fast enough from several transient attacks, and this is where they break up. Speakers distort and the soundstage falls apart, let alone perceived depth.

At the same time, the preamp must be able to provide the necessary gain to match the main amplifier's input sensitivity, this will help in far better control over the power amplifiers in terms of that effortless drive and grip over the speakers. If the preamp is not upto par then the front end suffers.

Sounds like you've got a good level of balance and great synergy established with the 3.7i system. That should be a fantastic match.

BTW, the 3.7i are my favourite Maggie's in the line up. They're perfect for most types of rooms and settings. Position them well with a few careful adjustments and they will deliver a remarkable level of refinement from recorded music. Unlike the much larger 20.7 and the formidable 30.7, which require extreme placement and perfection to get them right, plus much larger rooms in order to get the best out of them, the 3.7i will deliver all that you require with decent gear and careful matching. Provide the 3.7i with higher grade gear and they will deliver beyond what you thought was possible. They will also out perform many others costing 3-4 times the price range. True value for money!

Cheers cybermaggies, and enjoy those fine tunes!
Big woof! RJ

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Sanders Magtech Monoblocks. 3.7i's came alive with 2kwatts. Dynamic range is now incredible. Sounds like live music on some recordings. Had the Parasound A21 previously which sounded great up moderate volumes but fell flat after that. Also tried some Primaluna tube monoblocks. Sound was smooth and liquid. Great for light jazz at low volumes or back ground music but any kind of music with dynamics at moderate volume the sound just fell apart.
Cybermaggies it’s great that you are getting such good results with your 3.7s with Magtech. I loved the 3.7s and even more so the 20.7s abd Magtech drive both really well. All Maggies need a great amp and super precision in setup to get them at their best and speaker whispering is a prerequisite as I’m sure you know. Even just a few mm can make the difference, they just won’t hide anything.

A mate calls them the scalpels the way they cut through and reveal. They really show you what the amp is doing and need quality as much as quantity of drive power. For me the quality of the bass (with the 20.7s especially) and that panel agility is also something I see as essential and I’m loving that same quality with my OB horns as well. I think I’ll remain a true dipole tragic till the very end. :eek:

Btw I’ve always used a shindo preamp with the Magtech and found it brings the Magtech to a fuller balance and for me is a really great match. Great to see you enjoying them, they cost me a lot in tweaks because they just respond to change so readily and really let you know exactly what is going on and from my experiences living with Maggies is a great education in how to optimise an audio system.

Last edited:
Reactions: Big Dog RJ

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
The Magtechs are a great match for two main reasons:
1. They possess very good power supplies, which leads to stable current.

2. They also have the ability to hold themselves well when impedence drops, holding reactive loudspeaker loads well.

It's not all about the power, not at all. In fact when I was using several iterations of Maggie's and in particular the Apogee Diva, amplifiers that stood out in terms of high grade power supplies and utmost reliability were, CJ, VTL, and Manley Labs on tubes, and Krell, Mark Levinson, Jeff Rowland and Threshold on SS. Obviously there are a host of others like Pass Labs, which have rock solid power supplies. They're designs in power supply topology are outstanding!

There were quite a few highend amplifiers that couldn't quite drive reactive loudspeakers so well. Without mentioning names/ brands, as you mentioned they fell short on dynamics and transient peaks. They also couldn't recover fast enough from several transient attacks, and this is where they break up. Speakers distort and the soundstage falls apart, let alone perceived depth.

At the same time, the preamp must be able to provide the necessary gain to match the main amplifier's input sensitivity, this will help in far better control over the power amplifiers in terms of that effortless drive and grip over the speakers. If the preamp is not upto par then the front end suffers.

Sounds like you've got a good level of balance and great synergy established with the 3.7i system. That should be a fantastic match.

BTW, the 3.7i are my favourite Maggie's in the line up. They're perfect for most types of rooms and settings. Position them well with a few careful adjustments and they will deliver a remarkable level of refinement from recorded music. Unlike the much larger 20.7 and the formidable 30.7, which require extreme placement and perfection to get them right, plus much larger rooms in order to get the best out of them, the 3.7i will deliver all that you require with decent gear and careful matching. Provide the 3.7i with higher grade gear and they will deliver beyond what you thought was possible. They will also out perform many others costing 3-4 times the price range. True value for money!

Cheers cybermaggies, and enjoy those fine tunes!
Big woof! RJ
Hey RJ hope you are going well down there and restrictions are easing up. Love the way you are a big supporter of Maggies as well. The panel addiction is a dangerous thing, we’ve all got it bad I figure. Also best wishes for the holidays ahead and for more movement and fun times to come.

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Cheers to that Tao!

Restrictions were eased very slowly in Vic as you know. Just last weekend I took the family out and we had a few get togethers at home. However, I still worry for example, there's this new park / play ground that was constructed next to our new place. It has the usual skating thing, basketball court, swings, benches, and a very tall unusual looking tunnel shaped slide. The kids go wild! Speaking of park benches, which typically would seat 4-5 people, they're are infact 20 people on the bench!!! This gets me worried and it takes only a handful of goofballs to get the virus and start spreading... but I guess Melbournians aren't used to lockups... that said I don't think anyone likes to be locked up, other than audiophiles, of course!

Even at our store, which was restricted only to one person doing the groceries, now several families enter our stores, all gathering in certain corners and talking shop! No social distancing whatsoever but I guess they still need to meet and catch up somewhere. Xmas sales are going through the roof!

I've always liked panels, and in particular TT's, tubes and stats, which I'm using now. On top of that, further enjoying the digital front especially after adding the Esoteric gear.

Obviously if I had the opportunity to own multiple systems, there's no doubt I would own maggies once again with no hesitation. The value they possess, regardless of how well they're built, are untouchable. Like I said provide them higher grade gear and they will deliver some truly remarkable performance not thought possible at that price range.

Now, I need to workout and pump some iron, eaten too much useless banana bread little while ago. Must burn some calories before burning those wonderful tubes tonight.

Enjoy those fine tunes!
Woofty woof woof!
Cheers, RJ

Reactions: the sound of Tao

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Enjoy RJ... best wishes from up north :)

Direct Drive

Sep 16, 2020
East Anglia, UK
Interesting, not come across the Sanders before. Don't seem to have made it to the UK. Whats is the difference between the Magtech and the ESL MKIamps? Specs look very similar.
I currently have 1.7s, (couldn't really fit anything bigger in the room even though I'd like too) driven by Quad QMP monoblocks. They seem to do a very good job- Effortless. I have amps which have just broken up driving Maggies (these are my 5th generation).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing