Vertere RG-1 Turntable

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
In 1982 a friend and me visited Ricardo at 42 Parkside, Wimbledon to get a fabulous Oracle - unfortunately the turntable was for him, not for me! Around that time there were several alternatives for the Linn - the Pink Triangle, the Michel Gyrodeck that was more expensive than the Linn and later the Dunlop Systemdeck. I have owned them all, and later several Oracles ...

When Martin Colloms reviewed the Oracle in Hifi News, the issue included six full pages of Oracle advertisements - something unusual in the magazine. I attach two of them.

Later visits to Ricardo were unique moments. He his a connoisseur and sometimes had new and less known products hidden behind the curtains and would improvise a memorable listening session. I met him a month ago and he still keeps his passion and enthusiasm.

Is that how you found out about the A1 Micro? I never forget the first time I heard and saw Ricardo's A1, that room and that sound are still clear in my memory and more than 30 years later its still one of the greatest I heard. He still enjoys high end but he didn't show up for the last CES, a first for him in years. The A1 is still one of my favorite speakers, would have a pair now if not for horns and SETs. One thing for sure, Ricardo doesn't do anything in half measures, he set hi-fi news on fire!

david

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
>>The Xerxes was less than £350 UK pounds when introduced.<<

my mother is from Manchester, relatives used to send us pound$ and we'd need to convert it to our dollar to spend. IIRC, a 1p~$2 back then.

It wasn't that high against the USD.

david

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
In 1982 a friend and me visited Ricardo at 42 Parkside, Wimbledon to get a fabulous Oracle - unfortunately the turntable was for him, not for me! Around that time there were several alternatives for the Linn - the Pink Triangle, the Michel Gyrodeck that was more expensive than the Linn and later the Dunlop Systemdeck. I have owned them all, and later several Oracles ...
Later visits to Ricardo were unique moments. He his a connoisseur and sometimes had new and less known products hidden behind the curtains and would improvise a memorable listening session. I met him a month ago and he still keeps his passion and enthusiasm.

Yes indeed I've visited Ricardo there-- he used the big Apogees in late 80's--wonderful house paned doors opening onto the garden--house of dreams

We became firm friends and remain in touch today

One occasion Ken Kessler was there for dinner-- we yakked more about Rolex's than the Hi Fi-Ha!

Hmmm the old boy missed CES--interesting-- maybe Munich his forte---I used to have a chuckle when we used to catch up at CES/The Show--he'd order the stretched Limo from the Venetian to the Flamingo--me not wanting to die unduly early from lack of exercise

would politely refuse and walk the short distance:D

Good times!

BruceD

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Getting back to Touraj and Roksan.
Having become an absolute uncompromising fan of analog having heard at Grahams the full blown £20k Linn LP12/Naim 6-pack/Isobarik active system in the late 80s (cd? I spit in your undeserving face!), and looking to put together a more modest £5k rig that I could upgrade to the full Monty, I then got a taste at Subjective Audio of Roksan, w/the £20k Xerxes 10/Artemiz/Shiraz/Artaxerxes/L1.5 linestage/6x M1.5 monos/Darius spkrs, and moved away from lusting after Linn/Naim, and 5 yrs later purchased my first high end system, the £15k Xerxes 10/Artemiz/Shiraz/Artaxerxes/mid market Caspian amp and Ojan 3 spkrs.
In retrospect, a mistake. Uber neutrality and detail retrieval won out over musicality and involvment.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Getting back to Touraj and Roksan.
Having become an absolute uncompromising fan of analog having heard at Grahams the full blown £20k Linn LP12/Naim 6-pack/Isobarik active system in the late 80s (cd? I spit in your undeserving face!), and looking to put together a more modest £5k rig that I could upgrade to the full Monty, I then got a taste at Subjective Audio of Roksan, w/the £20k Xerxes 10/Artemiz/Shiraz/Artaxerxes/L1.5 linestage/6x M1.5 monos/Darius spkrs, and moved away from lusting after Linn/Naim, and 5 yrs later purchased my first high end system, the £15k Xerxes 10/Artemiz/Shiraz/Artaxerxes/mid market Caspian amp and Ojan 3 spkrs.
In retrospect, a mistake. Uber neutrality and detail retrieval won out over musicality and involvment.

Spirit, music is an art form. Pleasure or displeasure is an emotional reaction, if musicality or any other coloration is what one enjoys then that's the right one, the rest is irrelevant. I've heard cold and non-involving systems being called neutral but IMO that's incorrect, they're just mechanical & boring, another type of color.

david

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
As an update to my prior post noting that I wrote an email to Vertere and then left a message for Touraj a couple of months ago but never heard back, Touraj called me yesterday. I want to report that Touraj was apologetic that somehow something slipped and that I never received an earlier reply. He could not have been nicer, warmer or more interested in arranging for me to see and hear his products.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ron, that's excellent. Even 'though I was happy to move away from him and Roksan in 1999, he was unfailingly polite and enthusiastic to help that most dreaded of issues, the intermittent fault. I know he is an inspired engineer, and hopefully that shows thru in his products, esp the Vertere.

isquirrel

VIP/Donor
Sep 23, 2014
Brisbane, Australia
As an update to my prior post noting that I wrote an email to Vertere and then left a message for Touraj a couple of months ago but never heard back, Touraj called me yesterday. I want to report that Touraj was apologetic that somehow something slipped and that I never received an earlier reply. He could not have been nicer, warmer or more interested in arranging for me to see and hear his products.

I have always called Touraj and agree he is extremely pleasant to talk with. He even offered to come out to Australia form England to setup the RG-1 + his Ref arm if I decided to go that way. I think he has one other setup to do here, nut what excellent customer service. I have a god feel for setting up Turntables & cartridges but he offered to spend a couple of days with me to make sure I was completely comfortable setting up the TT. I have been researching the Air Force One and it seems there are quite a few people who prefer the sound of the AF2 but the looks of the AF1, also I was surprised at how much the 2nd value has fallen to sub $30K US and the number on the market for such an exclusive TT. Wonder what why people are moving on form it or perhaps they are upgrading the new AF Zero coming out soon.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I have been researching extensively the AF1 and AF2. I heard both of them at T.H.E. Show in Irvine. While I do not care for the crackle paint finish of the AF2, the AF1 is stunning both sonically and visually. I spent a lot of time talking with Bob Graham, who was very patient and helpful and, of course, extremely knowedgable about the AF1.

Several very experienced members on WBF have and love their AF1s. TAS published an over-the-moon, rave review of the AF1.

I have not heard the notion that the AF2 sounds better than the AF1.

;

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
I have always called Touraj and agree he is extremely pleasant to talk with. He even offered to come out to Australia form England to setup the RG-1 + his Ref arm if I decided to go that way. I think he has one other setup to do here, nut what excellent customer service. I have a god feel for setting up Turntables & cartridges but he offered to spend a couple of days with me to make sure I was completely comfortable setting up the TT. I have been researching the Air Force One and it seems there are quite a few people who prefer the sound of the AF2 but the looks of the AF1, also I was surprised at how much the 2nd value has fallen to sub $30K US and the number on the market for such an exclusive TT. Wonder what why people are moving on form it or perhaps they are upgrading the new AF Zero coming out soon.

2nd hand value of the AF1 has fallen below 30k.

Please tell me where, as I will buy one.

Cheers

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India
2nd hand value of the AF1 has fallen below 30k.

Please tell me where, as I will buy one.

Cheers
+1
Pradeep

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Jeez, the curse of new adopters.
Just what are the AF1 guys replacing it with.
There comes a point surely where you stay happy w/a marquee investment.
Or is this hobby really the triumph of insanity over rationalism?
Or was the AF1 really not that to begin?

isquirrel

VIP/Donor
Sep 23, 2014
Brisbane, Australia
I have been researching extensively the AF1 and AF2. I heard both of them at T.H.E. Show in Irvine. While I do not care for the crackle paint finish of the AF2, the AF1 is stunning both sonically and visually. I spent a lot of time talking with Bob Graham, who was very patient and helpful and, of course, extremely knowedgable about the AF1.

Several very experienced members on WBF have and love their AF1s. TAS published an over-the-moon, rave review of the AF1.

I have not heard the notion that the AF2 sounds better than the AF1.

;

Me also, I much prefer the look of the AF1, I would dearly love to be able to do a comparison between these tables but here in OZ that would be very hard to arrange.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah

Not sure how you did your research but what you mention is in error. TechDas is a veteran in field with decades of tt design under their belt, they don't shoot from the hip nor do they price their products whimsically like some. AF1, AF2 and AF3 are exacting, deliberate designs engineered to compete and lead in their intended markets, not as competition to each other. You'll know exactly what I mean if you heard these tables side by side. They're true professionals and there's nothing accidental in their products.

I'll grab one of those sub $30k AF-1s quick!

david

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
At long last I am visiting Touraj at Vertere tomorrow at his office in London.

If anyone has any particular question that you would like me to ask Touraj please feel free to let me know.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ron, say "hi" to him, from a prior Roksan owner, 1997 vintage (Xerxes 10 tt/Artemiz arm/Shiraz cart/Caspian cdp and amp/Ojan spkrs).

Billy Shears

Jul 27, 2015
AFAIK, Touraj's claim to fame was the ROKSAN table, a mediocre sounding mid-fi table at best, priced below the Linn Sondek as a marketing strategy. When did he achieve the super designer status? London would make a great trip but demoing a tone arm in ones own system is already a difficult task, in someone else's unknown setup is near impossible to figure out.
david
Its a shame that you are not familiar with any of his designes, because if you where you would see that they are utterly unique. When Turaj wants to solve a problem he throws everything out of the Window that everyone thinks they know about it and starts from scratch. Roksan has always been very concious that they offer good Price performance ration. The Xerxes in maximum Config is about 6K Cheaper than the LP 12 with similar Performance. Its sad that you somehow equate that price with Quality....

Last edited:

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Its a shame that you are not familiar with any of his designes, because if you where you would see that they are utterly unique. When Turaj wants to solve a problem he throws everything out of the Window that everyone thinks they know about it and starts from scratch. Roksan has always been very concious that they offer good Price performance ration. The Xerxes in maximum Config is about 6K Cheaper that the LP 12 with similar Performance. Its sad that you somehow equate that price with Quality....

Actually I'm quite familiar with Roksan products & sound, just don't care for it and nothing to do with the price but that wasn't the point here. In your opinion is Vertere good price performance ratio? Unique(?), doesn't mean good.

david

Billy Shears

Jul 27, 2015
Actually I'm quite familiar with Roksan products & sound, just don't care for it and nothing to do with the price but that wasn't the point here. In your opinion is Vertere good price performance ratio? Unique(?), doesn't mean good.

david

Sorry, such a blatant statement about this man ability hardly stems from the disclaimer of ones personal Experience. Yes in this case unique means good, but that is not the point if you allege that any of his creations are hardly worth mentioning... Where did i infer that vertere was about price performance ration? Vertere is a no holds barred assault on what is possible. Something he could have never done with Roksan as price does not come into it...

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing