Stillpoints and Magico

WDW

May 24, 2011
BC, Canada
Hear that it is viewed as heresy by the folks at Magico but was wondering if anyone has tried Stillpoint Ultra's under their Magico's and, if so, have any comment/observations to share.

Best
WDW

Last edited:

jfkbike

Jan 13, 2011
Florida
I used to have them under my M5's and thought they made a big improvement. One they raised the speaker a bit which was good for my room, my ear height etc.... and they also allowed me to stabilize the speaker as I was part on a rug and part off. Do not have the M5's any longer and the M Projects I do have I am using the stock feet. Thread size is such that trying them on the M Project would be difficult.

WDW

May 24, 2011
BC, Canada
I used to have them under my M5's and thought they made a big improvement. One they raised the speaker a bit which was good for my room, my ear height etc.... and they also allowed me to stabilize the speaker as I was part on a rug and part off. Do not have the M5's any longer and the M Projects I do have I am using the stock feet. Thread size is such that trying them on the M Project would be difficult.

Thanks,

Nice problem to have, btw....you can't use your Stillpoints since they would be difficult to integrate with your M Project...so two sets of four on my Q3's would set me back a bit

Cheers,
WDW

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy
I talked to Mr. Wolf in Munich about that. He rolled his eyes when I asked him about SP. He basically asked me why would anyone would want to stand on rollers when trying to push/pull things, which is basically what a speaker does. He said that you want to couple the speakers, not decouple them. But he said that talking to Audiophiles about stuff like that is useless, as they surly believe that they know more about speaker design then the speaker designer, and/or accuse Magico of being bias (…as bias for good engineering is a bad thing). He said that the speakers will sound different for sure, but better they will not be, unless smearing the speakers impulse covers some other issues you may have in your system, but that is only further removing you from good performance. He also said that changing the height of the speakers is also detrimental to the performance.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
I would listen to such comments with a grain of salt.

A friend of mine used Stillpoint Ultra5 for his Wilson Audio Alexia.

Another friend used Finite Elemente CeraBall (which is custom-made for B&W : http://technologyfactory.eu/index.p...w&action=article&group_id=43&aid=5018&lang=EN ) for his B&W Diamond800.

Both friends claimed that their speakers improved a lot after using these ceramic-ball-based footers.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Why? Who knows more about the product than the man who designed it? He provided several concrete examples of why using this product under his undercuts his design intentions and ultimately makes no sense.

Listening is believing!

FE and Stillpoint work in the two diff systems of my friends (B&W 800Diamond & Wilson Alexia).

Whether Stillpoint really works with Q5?
I am not sure now but I shall go to audition it for sure. The owner is in Hong Kong and a friend of mine too.

It is Alon's eye-rolling response that I particularly dislike!

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Why? Who knows more about the product than the man who designed it? He provided several concrete examples of why using this product under his undercuts his design intentions and ultimately makes no sense.

Keep drinking the cool aid. Wilson says the same thing yet most Wilson owners use them because the speakers sound better. If I had Magico, I would have Ultra 5's under them.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Keep drinking the cool aid. Wilson says the same thing yet most Wilson owners use them because the speakers sound better. If I had Magico, I would have Ultra 5's under them.

I agree. They seem to perform best under heavy speakers

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy
I agree. They seem to perform best under heavy speakers

Maybe, due to the weight, they no longer preform as designed and become couplers vs decouplers.
But in that case, you would be better off with a different design (most likely the spikes that are provided with the speakers...)
Also, Magico, being a sealed design, may react differently than Wilson and the B&W, once decoupled from the floor.

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy
Not sure I agree with your comment about them becoming couplers (rather than decouplers) due to heavier size. I can't see how an Ultra 5 could become a coupler if it is set up properly

It is a question of the load they can carry, it is not infinite. Once exceed, they are no longer working as decouplers. I believe Gary Koh wrote a very informative piece on the subject here on your site.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
It is a question of the load they can carry, it is not infinite. Once exceed, they are no longer working as decouplers. I believe Gary Koh wrote a very informative piece on the subject here on your site.

Read up on stillpoints....as long as the ceramic bearings inside the device do not crush from the weight....they are diamond hard, the device will function as spec'd. Why don't you actually try them out rather than assuming incorrectly how they would work with no actual real world experience ? I suppose you could go on believing Magico makes the best footer for their speakers.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

Read up on stillpoints....as long as the ceramic bearings inside the device do not crush from the weight....they are diamond hard, the device will function as spec'd. Why don't you actually try them out rather than assuming incorrectly how they would work with no actual real world experience ? I suppose you could go on believing Magico makes the best footer for their speakers.

I completely agree. The load they will support far exceeds the weight of my speakers so no I don't agree that they will ever function as a coupler.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I would not recommend stillpoints under speakers. When I tried them on Wilson Alexias they were detrimental to the bass articulation and it makes sense to me that speakers should be rigid and not allowed to move along with the music.

They will also change the tweeter height.

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy

I did try them, that is what sparked the conversation with Mr. Wolf. Since I don’t believe in reporting “listening” experiences, as I find them VERY personal, and rather than saying “I did not not like them” I thought it would be rather more informative if I explained why that may have been the case.

Reactions: tony22

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I would not recommend stillpoints under speakers. When I tried them on Wilson Alexias they were detrimental to the bass articulation and it makes sense to me that speakers should be rigid and not allowed to move along with the music.

They will also change the tweeter height.

That's interesting as our own studio professional Bruce B has Alexia and swears by his stillpoints. Seating can be adjusted for the slight increase in tweeter height.

jfkbike

Jan 13, 2011
Florida
I talked to Mr. Wolf in Munich about that. He rolled his eyes when I asked him about SP. He basically asked me why would anyone would want to stand on rollers when trying to push/pull things, which is basically what a speaker does.

I would tend to agree with him and I always new this was their position on SP. But in the case I used them with success, the M5 and it's flat bottom caused a lot of instability and you could easily rock the speaker due to my particular setup. I think that by adding the SP I created a much more coupled speaker than what I had without them. Maybe some plane old tip toes would have been even better? But regardless I am very happy they have gone to the outrigger style base as it is much more stable and adjustable, I do not think the SP are needed any longer although as I stated before I have not tried them in my current setup.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing