My system

Eli08

Jul 19, 2012
Thanks Rorn. I need to clean up a bit the room as it is full of cables and other stuff once I'm done with these changes. But try to have a good surounding as it is also critical to relax and enjoy music.

Eli08

Jul 19, 2012
Thanks slowGEEZR. IT does, and it is still improving by the day. But as it sunds right now it is just incredible and close to my goals. Aways room for improvement of course....

Eli08

Jul 19, 2012
Hi Eli,

Very harmonious/decor room...tell your wife she has classy style.

* What genre of music you two both like to listen to?

THanks Northstar. I won't or she will redecor the whole house... :). But she does.

We listen mainly to classical music. All eras and styles, smphonic, orchestral, chamber, choral... It is very hard to recreate truely the direct sond at a concert of this music, but I am getting there. Also some Jazz, and other. But 90% is really classical.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Hi Audiocrack. Thanks.

Yes the Troy has a very profound effect. As you well know. I've read very carefully all your comments and actually did post a couple of times. I am using the regular cables but have several Thor Se to connect ready at home... Believe it or not, they arrived just a day after I got the 01s. Don't want to connect them until the system is fully broken in and settled. It does take a while. But I am looking very much forward to it. I will fist try preamp, and the digitals. I don't think I can wire the whole system on Thor Se though, given the size of the cables and the biding post of the Troy, so will do the digitals and pre am and leave the clock and amps with the regular cables. I have great expectations on this upgrade but will take me a while to do the whole system for good since want to asses what combination is best.

Just saw your reply. Ah, so you are the person Miguel made all those lovely Thor se's for! Let us know about your experiences once you have installed them. The Thor se's need some time to settle in but after that I hope you will love them as much as I do. Good luck!

Eli08

Jul 19, 2012
Just saw your reply. Ah, so you are the person Miguel made all those lovely Thor se's for! Let us know about your experiences once you have installed them. The Thor se's need some time to settle in but after that I hope you will love them as much as I do. Good luck!

Hi Audio crack

Yes I guess that has to be me. But you never know since he is so busy always with lots of orders. I will let you know. So far still breaking in the grandiosos and fine tuning them. I do have great expectations for these, if they are anywhere close to the improvements experienced with the Troy and the regular cables. It did add a sense of realism to the system with my old 02s that it did not have before for sure. So I am surprised I haven't connected them yet but want to have the system well settled before to really appreciate.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Hi Audio crack

Yes I guess that has to be me. But you never know since he is so busy always with lots of orders. I will let you know. So far still breaking in the grandiosos and fine tuning them. I do have great expectations for these, if they are anywhere close to the improvements experienced with the Troy and the regular cables. It did add a sense of realism to the system with my old 02s that it did not have before for sure. So I am surprised I haven't connected them yet but want to have the system well settled before to really appreciate.

I fully understand. After hooking the Thor se's up give them about two weeks to fully settle in. I am pretty sure that after settling in you will be absolutely amazed how good Miguels Troy se grounding cables are. Furthermore - and maybe just as important - only with the Thor se's grounding cables you will experience how good the Tripoint Troy actually is as 'grounding device'.

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)
Eli08: What's up with your system as of late...what new upgrades and other changes have you made?

Stereophonic

Jun 9, 2013
Spain
Hi SC.
Looking for reference experience for your brand new Ref1's?
Eli08 is a master on that kind of pieces !!!!

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Hi SC.
Looking for reference experience for your brand new Ref1's?
Eli08 is a master on that kind of pieces !!!!

Yes,...I've known Eli from Audiogon for years and we've traded notes about our experience testing and upgrading to all sorts of Esoteric gear where one or the other of us were having new experiences up the line as well (there I am Zephyr24069). I look forward to hearing back from him about his experience with TADs as I am at the beginning of what looks to be a very cool and interesting/music-filled journey with these amazing speakers...

Stereophonic

Jun 9, 2013
Spain
Doesn't doubt it !!!!
These speakers are very system dependent.
Any change on the system chain has a strong impact.
We'll wait the Eli's answer.
Regards.

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
I will put detailed comments out after they are broken in but for today I will say that with about 3 hours of listening that it is apparent that top to bottom this is an amazing speaker, extremely musical, prodigious output, excellent imaging from the first notes I heard and overall amazing how great they are from the time I hit play...exceeded my expectations by a mile. They obviously need breakin from what I hear in the bass and sub bass regions, mids and highs but it is clear that will come in time.....

Truly an incredible speaker. I was also getting ample information down to 19 to 23 Hz easily and without difficulty (pipe organ tracks) I believe these perform well beyond the conservative specs right from day 1.

A bit more...throughout the day they've been playing and the 'whole-house' listening aspect where a speaker not only sounds great in the sweet spot but all around the house, down the hall in office, down the stairs around corners in the main living area, etc....is a very strong experience with these speakers.

I've also thrown my top 30 "SHOW ME" tracks at these throughout the day, even pipe organ and complex drumming along with more delicate (jazz, violin, piano, native percussion & wind instruments, etc...) tracks plus those that with a well seasoned set of speakers and system will portray instrument 7-8+ to the left or right of a speaker, pans across, back and forth, etc...with full range material (didgeridoo in Oystein Sevag's "Global House" album, track 2", a go-to crucible track for the last 15 years...), those with tremendous 3D sound stages, high and deep in all 3 dimensions and these speakers are frankly 'chowing down' on anything I throw at them with a finesse, accuracy, imaging and natural musical playback that I am finding hard to adequately describe. As resolving my system is and my prior speakers were (quite amazing actually), I'm hearing nuances that were never fully revealing before or in ways that were not made apparent. I am 'hearing into the performance' to new levels.

All this with only 10 hours into the play/burn-in cycle. Benefit of existing great high-end power, system components, cables, etc...definitely yes, but it is absolutely clear these speakers are a force to be reckoned with. Out of everything I've listened to at or above this price point, these do it all and from the outset, seem to be doing it better and more musically. Simply amazing to me at this young point in the TAD R1s life.

Let me put it this way; I'm supposed to fly out tomorrow morning at 6 up north for the next 5 days (during which you know these will continue their burn-in). The way these speakers sound, I'm getting a flare-up of the 'audiophile HERMIT' condition and want to change flights and have them all fly down here instead!!! Evil, mischievous/selfish yes(!), will it happen, NO(!), but if you heard what I'm hearing you'd be tempted too!

Have a good evening all and a very Merry Christmas. These are simply outstanding in every way thus far!

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Very classy...beautiful!

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010

Eli08

Jul 19, 2012
Eli08: What's up with your system as of late...what new upgrades and other changes have you made?

Hi zephyr/SCA

Good to hear from you. Saw your private and replied. But as I was saying, not many new upgraders since last time I posted. And it has been a while now. You know what I've been doing al this time? Yes... just listening to music. Got to a point where system sounds so good and is so enjoyable, I had no need or desire to search for any farther upgrade.

It is incredible the sense of scale, dynamics, yet sweetness and how musical feelings flow when needed. I have been going to quite a lot of concerts lately as well. And I can say, although it will never be the same regardless of what you do and how crazy you get, whit this system I feel close enough as to not miss anything real material. I can go to a concert, get home, play music and enjoy it as well; which in the past, I always needed a couple of days and playing sessions to be able to enjoy the system again. So I guess that is the best thing you can say about a system.

Per instance, a few weeks back went to a Mahler 5th's symphony. One of the best I've been to. Quite a ride...! When I got home a couple of days later, played the same 5th at very loud levels, When I heard the very strong percussion section of the first movement combined with the slow romantic passages at the system a smile was all across my face and really remembering as if I was back at the concert hall. What else can I say.

Can it get better? You bet it can. But as of now I don't feel motivated. It can also get worse if you make changes. I feel at these levels improvements have nothing to do with price of components. More to do with synergy and other factors. Frankly considering where I am now, for my goals and tastes, chances are if I change anything, I will end up losing.

Whole system works as a whole. Which I think is the key for me being so satisfied with the results. But I guess if I had to define 3 major breakthroughs, they were in Speakers, Grandiosos, and final fine tuning as a whole, which gabs the last... say 10% which took the incredible to a "i'm there" level (cables, Troy and so on).

Being what we are in this world and hobby... always looking for improvements and so on. But after a year and a half with the system almost the same, I can say I'm enjoying the system more and more as time passes and at an increasing pace..

All I have done after last post was finishing cables with all Siltech TC, from speakers all the way to preamp, and for digitals to preamps, (so all analog part of the chain), while keeping Mexcell at the digital domain.

Just one lates upgrade I just ordered... The Grandioso clock. Not that I really am missing anything but I think is a very safe bet to get a net improvement. vs a trade off, which at tis point I am not interested in. The G01 is very good, but lucks one 10Mhz output. And clock improvements have always been of good magnitude and additive. So I think I will get there a relevant net gain while closing for good the grandioso link.

And noting else in the agenda.

Now regarding the R1s.. all I can say is I think I have these babes for over 4 or 5 years now. Spent a lot of time hearing to as many boxes as I could. Price was not really the constrain. These where the best for me and my taste and goals regardless of price. Period. And after 4 or 5 year, I guess best I can say is, if I wake p tomorrow and for whatever reason they were gone, stolen, broken... you name it, I would go other the same pair that very same day as well...

have spent lots of time getting here and money as well with hit and miss... But just plugging on the system and seating and listening to music that gets you and moves to like the real ting is priceless and not easy to give up upon... What else can I say...

Best
Eli

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Hi zephyr/SCA

Good to hear from you. Saw your private and replied. But as I was saying, not many new upgraders since last time I posted. And it has been a while now. You know what I've been doing al this time? Yes... just listening to music. Got to a point where system sounds so good and is so enjoyable, I had no need or desire to search for any farther upgrade.

It is incredible the sense of scale, dynamics, yet sweetness and how musical feelings flow when needed. I have been going to quite a lot of concerts lately as well. And I can say, although it will never be the same regardless of what you do and how crazy you get, whit this system I feel close enough as to not miss anything real material. I can go to a concert, get home, play music and enjoy it as well; which in the past, I always needed a couple of days and playing sessions to be able to enjoy the system again. So I guess that is the best thing you can say about a system.

Per instance, a few weeks back went to a Mahler 5th's symphony. One of the best I've been to. Quite a ride...! When I got home a couple of days later, played the same 5th at very loud levels, When I heard the very strong percussion section of the first movement combined with the slow romantic passages at the system a smile was all across my face and really remembering as if I was back at the concert hall. What else can I say.

Can it get better? You bet it can. But as of now I don't feel motivated. It can also get worse if you make changes. I feel at these levels improvements have nothing to do with price of components. More to do with synergy and other factors. Frankly considering where I am now, for my goals and tastes, chances are if I change anything, I will end up losing.

Whole system works as a whole. Which I think is the key for me being so satisfied with the results. But I guess if I had to define 3 major breakthroughs, they were in Speakers, Grandiosos, and final fine tuning as a whole, which gabs the last... say 10% which took the incredible to a "i'm there" level (cables, Troy and so on).

Being what we are in this world and hobby... always looking for improvements and so on. But after a year and a half with the system almost the same, I can say I'm enjoying the system more and more as time passes and at an increasing pace..

All I have done after last post was finishing cables with all Siltech TC, from speakers all the way to preamp, and for digitals to preamps, (so all analog part of the chain), while keeping Mexcell at the digital domain.

Just one lates upgrade I just ordered... The Grandioso clock. Not that I really am missing anything but I think is a very safe bet to get a net improvement. vs a trade off, which at tis point I am not interested in. The G01 is very good, but lucks one 10Mhz output. And clock improvements have always been of good magnitude and additive. So I think I will get there a relevant net gain while closing for good the grandioso link.

And noting else in the agenda.

Now regarding the R1s.. all I can say is I think I have these babes for over 4 or 5 years now. Spent a lot of time hearing to as many boxes as I could. Price was not really the constrain. These where the best for me and my taste and goals regardless of price. Period. And after 4 or 5 year, I guess best I can say is, if I wake p tomorrow and for whatever reason they were gone, stolen, broken... you name it, I would go other the same pair that very same day as well...

have spent lots of time getting here and money as well with hit and miss... But just plugging on the system and seating and listening to music that gets you and moves to like the real ting is priceless and not easy to give up upon... What else can I say...

Best
Eli

Good Day and Happy Holidays!

I can relate to all that you say on the system-building front and reaching a point where you look at components, speakers, cables, etc...and have a feeling they will be there for a long time and have no need up upgrade-itis. The feeling at that point of being able to just sit back and listen to music for a long time is come is a very good one. I remember when you were going through all the different Esoteric and other components doing alot of testing and listening to find your ultimate transport, DAC, etc...a few years ago; I'm glad you've reached that point. I believe, other than a planned upgrade to Grandioso myself that with the arrival of the TAD R1s, judged only by day 1 impressions (with those speakers it seems to be enough as they are amazing) that I had found 'the speaker' to add to the system with no upgrade desires to follow. I wish you nothing but the best or a great holiday season and am glad to hear of all your forays into various concerts and all the great listening you've been doing. Be Well and Take Care...

Eli08

Jul 19, 2012
Happy holidays too.

Thx mate. Yes it has been a while since then. A few years... Happy where I am. Not saying will not "be there in the run" again. But I feel with these boxes, I have found a very solid foundation to build a system around, for a very long time to come. They are quite incredible pair of speakers. I have heard them sing in so many different ways already depending on what you put around them, that it is quite remarkable. I think it comes to show just how transparent, capable and just plain good they are and so you can really build the system of your likes with them as the center of it all. Over and over again.

if you ask me what component I think I will keep 5 years from now most likely, certainly I would say the R1s. Not that I'm planning in changing anything... But if they came up in a couple of years or whatever with the mega super digital whatever, you never know... The TADs I don't think we will see a pair like these in time. TAD and Andrew petting was a shame. Resources plus talent. The 2 alone I'm not sure they can do as well as they did with these. Time will tell.

But believe me. You haven't heard anything still.... Great musical times ahead my friend.

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Happy holidays too.

Thx mate. Yes it has been a while since then. A few years... Happy where I am. Not saying will not "be there in the run" again. But I feel with these boxes, I have found a very solid foundation to build a system around, for a very long time to come. They are quite incredible pair of speakers. I have heard them sing in so many different ways already depending on what you put around them, that it is quite remarkable. I think it comes to show just how transparent, capable and just plain good they are and so you can really build the system of your likes with them as the center of it all. Over and over again.

if you ask me what component I think I will keep 5 years from now most likely, certainly I would say the R1s. Not that I'm planning in changing anything... But if they came up in a couple of years or whatever with the mega super digital whatever, you never know... The TADs I don't think we will see a pair like these in time. TAD and Andrew petting was a shame. Resources plus talent. The 2 alone I'm not sure they can do as well as they did with these. Time will tell.

But believe me. You haven't heard anything still.... Great musical times ahead my friend.

I am looking forward to it very much! Merry Christmas!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing