My system

Eli08

Jul 19, 2012
IMG_0777.JPG IMG_0778.JPG IMG_0780.JPG IMG_0783.JPG IMG_0797[1].JPG

My goal is looking for a natural and realistic sound that replicates the dynamics and realism of direct music in an auditorium. The scale, calm, yet strength of different instruments playing together, combined with the refinement and little details and nuances of solos and slow movements or pieces.

Decided to change the system and take it to a higher level, since I was able to achieve very fine music, details and rhythm, but the real thing was elusive.

It's been since that moment 3 to 4 years or so.

First thing I did was get proper room acoustic treatment after some time wasted (and a bit of money) with isolated solutions offered that proved useless at best.

I hired an acoustic engineering company that came home and took measurement. They then designed a treatment with products from Viacoustic. They simulate the response with different treatments, and through different iterations come up with the optimal set of elements. They took care of the installation and fine tuning of the bass traps for optimal response.

That was a great improvement in itself and something I recommend highly to anyone.

Second step was to decide on a set of speakers. Tried as many as I could including top models from Magico, Wilson Audio, Sonus faber and others. To me the TAD R1 were clearly the best for my taste, room and goals. Actually the second best were the TAD CR1... These speakers are really fantastic.

I went on with amplification. Also tried several models. As many as I could. After much listening went with the TAD M600. They are very natural, and transparent to a point that is beyond imagination. Needless to say they perfectly combine with the R1s although I would recommend anyone to listen to them regardless of speaker brand. I have not listened to a more natural and true set of amps, yet with th dynamics, punch and bass extension when needed.

After that I went on for a preamp. I use to have the great ARC anniversary. However for the system I am building up an my goal, I felt that although very easy to combine, it felt a bit short in transparency and details. Here the decision was simple in my case: went on with the TAD C600; this is a remarkable preamp, and combined with an all TAD system gives all the goods of a tube preamp, in terms of saturation, music flow and so on, combined with the advantages already described of the TAD gear.

Last change I made recently was to swap the fantastic Esoteric P02/D02/G01, with the new Esoteric Grandioso 5 pieces P1, 2 mono DACs D1 and the clock G01. This is quite new, and still early times. But I can say already that this has been the greatest upgrade just right after the speakers. The quality of sound of this source is beyond imagination. And still improving.

As cables I am using Siltech for all analogs, both power cords and interconnects plus speaker cables. I am moving on from lower series to Double Crown models. Almost there. I have pending the speaker cables and the interconnects from preamp to amps. May consider here the DC or TC if I can listen to them and see is worth it.

For the Esoterics I am currently using the Mexcel 9500 power cords which are the ones they voiced the Esoterics with. Same for clock cables.

Another change that help big time was to take out power conditioner and replace with a good power bar. It is connected to the dedicated line that goes directly to the breaker panel. The gains here are also relevant. Better flow of music, more natural, with no downsides.

Lastly for now I am using the Tripoint Troy grounding system. This deserves a very special mention. You connect it to the groun post of all the devices, and to the mains with a very heavy PC only with earth connected. It really cleans up the sound. Gets you much closer to the real music sensation. This would deserve a full page in itself but all I can say here is that I strongly recommend it. You don't know the noise you have until you get rid of it.

Not many tweaks in the system. Or any really.

Still have some things in mind, but for the most part I am there for now.

Really enjoying the system and looking forward to getting more hours on the 01s. In any case the sounds I am getting now are really the best I have heard, and very close to the real thing I was looking. Always room to improve and looking forward to it but the level of joy this system gives right now has no precedent in my particular case and experience.

Thanks for reading and looking at it.

Best

Reactions: Stef

Eli08

Jul 19, 2012
More pics. Now I have to clean up a bit the mess I have around, but it is all worth it...

IMG_0787.JPG

IMG_0786.JPG IMG_0794.JPG IMG_0795.JPG IMG_0796.JPG

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
What a beautiful setup. Thank you for sharing!

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Lovely...in the 3rd photo I see a window and shoreline with some very large bldgs. Mind if I ask where you are located? BTW well done!

Eli08

Jul 19, 2012
Lovely...in the 3rd photo I see a window and shoreline with some very large bldgs. Mind if I ask where you are located? BTW well done!

Thanks. If you look well you can see it is now a window. That is the inside wall that goes all along the room with a black and whit paper wall mural of NY downtown skyline from Brooklyn bridge.

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
Nice set-up - those speakers are still a product I look forward to listening too. I was hoping to have last year when I visited the RMAF but were a no show.

What is the height like of performers for example along with sizes of instruments. When listening does the stage exists completely around the speakers, in front - middle - behind?

How's it going in Spain! What's the weather like - summer now?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I am starting to think that it is no accident that some of you not only have a great taste for music and equipment, but impeccable sensibility when it comes to room decor! That is on beautiful set up. And a benefit of more or less staying with the same brand for most or all of your system. I feel good just looking at the picture! Very well done.

Eli08

Jul 19, 2012
Nice set-up - those speakers are still a product I look forward to listening too. I was hoping to have last year when I visited the RMAF but were a no show.

What is the height like of performers for example along with sizes of instruments. When listening does the stage exists completely around the speakers, in front - middle - behind?

How's it going in Spain! What's the weather like - summer now?

Thanks Dev,

The staging of these speakers is one of the best aspects they have together with its transparency and tone accuracy as well as real life dynamics; the concentric tweeter/mid woofer allows for a real precise, wide and deep staging. I've heard several set ups, but with the right source and associated equipment, height sense is really incredible per instance when playing orchestral or symphonies. It is as wide as the whole wall in different layers of depth and height. I love them. I did listen to many and for me these, together with the CR1s were the most desirable.

Things are warm already and fine over here. Perfect time to come over!

Eli08

Jul 19, 2012
I am starting to think that it is no accident that some of you not only have a great taste for music and equipment, but impeccable sensibility when it comes to room decor! That is on beautiful set up. And a benefit of more or less staying with the same brand for most or all of your system. I feel good just looking at the picture! Very well done.

Thanks a lot Amir. To be totally honest, unlike the system's picks, decor goes on my wife's. She is not too happy about the fact that the acoustics treatment covered part of the wall mural... but first things first in the listening room...

Yes. I've been using Esoteric as source for a ling time. I liked them all, specially all the separates, but the 01s are really a remarkable achievement. TAD R1 speaker is no surprise; it may be however how good the electronics work: I guess synergy has a lot do to. Wonder how they would sound with other speakers.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Thanks Joe; How are things there?

Very nice thank you. I've moved on to Sonus Faber Strads. While I respected my TAD CR-1's, I fell in love with my Strads. I have multiple amps to play with and that keeps me busy.

You have a beautiful setup and should be very proud.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
M
View attachment 21208 View attachment 21209 View attachment 21210 View attachment 21211 View attachment 21212

My goal is looking for a natural and realistic sound that replicates the dynamics and realism of direct music in an auditorium. The scale, calm, yet strength of different instruments playing together, combined with the refinement and little details and nuances of solos and slow movements or pieces.

Decided to change the system and take it to a higher level, since I was able to achieve very fine music, details and rhythm, but the real thing was elusive.

It's been since that moment 3 to 4 years or so.

First thing I did was get proper room acoustic treatment after some time wasted (and a bit of money) with isolated solutions offered that proved useless at best.

I hired an acoustic engineering company that came home and took measurement. They then designed a treatment with products from Viacoustic. They simulate the response with different treatments, and through different iterations come up with the optimal set of elements. They took care of the installation and fine tuning of the bass traps for optimal response.

That was a great improvement in itself and something I recommend highly to anyone.

Second step was to decide on a set of speakers. Tried as many as I could including top models from Magico, Wilson Audio, Sonus faber and others. To me the TAD R1 were clearly the best for my taste, room and goals. Actually the second best were the TAD CR1... These speakers are really fantastic.

I went on with amplification. Also tried several models. As many as I could. After much listening went with the TAD M600. They are very natural, and transparent to a point that is beyond imagination. Needless to say they perfectly combine with the R1s although I would recommend anyone to listen to them regardless of speaker brand. I have not listened to a more natural and true set of amps, yet with th dynamics, punch and bass extension when needed.

After that I went on for a preamp. I use to have the great ARC anniversary. However for the system I am building up an my goal, I felt that although very easy to combine, it felt a bit short in transparency and details. Here the decision was simple in my case: went on with the TAD C600; this is a remarkable preamp, and combined with an all TAD system gives all the goods of a tube preamp, in terms of saturation, music flow and so on, combined with the advantages already described of the TAD gear.

Last change I made recently was to swap the fantastic Esoteric P02/D02/G01, with the new Esoteric Grandioso 5 pieces P1, 2 mono DACs D1 and the clock G01. This is quite new, and still early times. But I can say already that this has been the greatest upgrade just right after the speakers. The quality of sound of this source is beyond imagination. And still improving.

As cables I am using Siltech for all analogs, both power cords and interconnects plus speaker cables. I am moving on from lower series to Double Crown models. Almost there. I have pending the speaker cables and the interconnects from preamp to amps. May consider here the DC or TC if I can listen to them and see is worth it.

For the Esoterics I am currently using the Mexcel 9500 power cords which are the ones they voiced the Esoterics with. Same for clock cables.

Another change that help big time was to take out power conditioner and replace with a good power bar. It is connected to the dedicated line that goes directly to the breaker panel. The gains here are also relevant. Better flow of music, more natural, with no downsides.

Lastly for now I am using the Tripoint Troy grounding system. This deserves a very special mention. You connect it to the groun post of all the devices, and to the mains with a very heavy PC only with earth connected. It really cleans up the sound. Gets you much closer to the real music sensation. This would deserve a full page in itself but all I can say here is that I strongly recommend it. You don't know the noise you have until you get rid of it.

Not many tweaks in the system. Or any really.

Still have some things in mind, but for the most part I am there for now.

Really enjoying the system and looking forward to getting more hours on the 01s. In any case the sounds I am getting now are really the best I have heard, and very close to the real thing I was looking. Always room to improve and looking forward to it but the level of joy this system gives right now has no precedent in my particular case and experience.

Thanks for reading and looking at it.

Best

Although I am not familiar with your speakers, amps and cd-combination it all looks impressive indeed, my compliments. But I am very familiar with the Tripoint Troy (see the threads that I started on the Tripoint Troy and emperor on WBF). One question: what grounding cables are you using? In case you have not yet tried the Tripoint Thor se grounding cables, may I suggest to do so? The Thor se grounding cables really let you hear how good the Troy is and you will likely be very amazed how much of a difference they made. Imho it is simply stunning.

Eli08

Jul 19, 2012
Good to hear Joe. Hope you are enjoying the SF. They are great speakers. Yes I see you do have a lot of amps but still keeping the CJs. Good! And watch your back!

Eli08

Jul 19, 2012
M

Although I am not familiar with your speakers, amps and cd-combination it all looks impressive indeed, my compliments. But I am very familiar with the Tripoint Troy (see the threads that I started on the Tripoint Troy and emperor on WBF). One question: what grounding cables are you using? In case you have not yet tried the Tripoint Thor se grounding cables, may I suggest to do so? The Thor se grounding cables really let you hear how good the Troy is and you will likely be very amazed how much of a difference they made. Imho it is simply stunning.

Hi Audiocrack. Thanks.

Yes the Troy has a very profound effect. As you well know. I've read very carefully all your comments and actually did post a couple of times. I am using the regular cables but have several Thor Se to connect ready at home... Believe it or not, they arrived just a day after I got the 01s. Don't want to connect them until the system is fully broken in and settled. It does take a while. But I am looking very much forward to it. I will fist try preamp, and the digitals. I don't think I can wire the whole system on Thor Se though, given the size of the cables and the biding post of the Troy, so will do the digitals and pre am and leave the clock and amps with the regular cables. I have great expectations on this upgrade but will take me a while to do the whole system for good since want to asses what combination is best.

analog brother

Jan 20, 2014
bravo!
this is a remarkable set-up in a stunning room.
have heard the r1's a couple of times and they are fantastic indeed.
very transparent, coherent and fast.
just beautiful speakers in every sense.
the esoteric gear is good too - i noticed that they supply the leather-lined remotes with the grandioso series now, whereas the x-series now makes do with cold steel....
i prefer leather. feels much, much nicer than the steel.

congratulations and enjoy forever.

thank you for sharing.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Good to hear Joe. Hope you are enjoying the SF. They are great speakers. Yes I see you do have a lot of amps but still keeping the CJs. Good! And watch your back!

:b

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
The set-up looks very clean and professional! Congratulations!

Eli08

Jul 19, 2012
bravo!
this is a remarkable set-up in a stunning room.
have heard the r1's a couple of times and they are fantastic indeed.
very transparent, coherent and fast.
just beautiful speakers in every sense.
the esoteric gear is good too - i noticed that they supply the leather-lined remotes with the grandioso series now, whereas the x-series now makes do with cold steel....
i prefer leather. feels much, much nicer than the steel.

congratulations and enjoy forever.

thank you for sharing.

Thank you Analgo brother. Yes that defines the R1s very well. Coherent is a good term to describe them.

The remote of the 01s is the same old one they always used with their older separates. THey could have done something special for this, but it is a great remote so if it is not broken don't fix it, I guess.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing