NOLA KO speakers

Philtax

Jun 22, 2015
I'm new to the WBF site and looking forward to hearing others' views and experiences with these and the other NOLA speakers. I recently bought a pair of the KOs based only on 1) hearing them at the 2013 CES where they were used by Nordost to demonstrate the differences between interconnects, and 2) my prior experience with Alon and Dahlquist (for those of you of a certain age) speakers. Of course, HPs review didn't hurt.

In any event, I find them to be marvelously alive and throw a large but precise soundstage. They have inspired me to explore lots of different new music and revisit my record / CD collection. While I'm sure that the ribbon speakers in the NOLA line have even more magic, these are magical enough for me and didn't require me to turn lead into gold. My other gear is generally pretty vintage, a CJ PV5 preamp and Manley 75 +75 power amp, SOTA Sapphire turntable, Sumiko FT-3 arm and Benz Silver cartridge. Nothing too far up the food chain but decent for the 1980s(!) - as you can see, I don't swap things out too frequently.

Cheers,

Phil

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Hi Phil and welcome to WBF. I heard the same demo and was floored. They sounded remarkable. My only question at the time was the use of a Kings ransom in Odin cable especially when compared to the price of the speakers. I think your post nicely answers that question.

Philtax

Jun 22, 2015
Hi Phil and welcome to WBF. I heard the same demo and was floored. They sounded remarkable. My only question at the time was the use of a Kings ransom in Odin cable especially when compared to the price of the speakers. I think your post nicely answers that question.

Thanks Steve - you'd have a hard time ransoming a nice bottle of wine with my cables :).

Phil

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Well, I can only comment on their industrial design and cabinet as another woodworker. They have one of the most distinct design I have seen. Here is the shot I took of their CES booth: http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...Picture-Thread&p=301340&viewfull=1#post301340

So what is this speaker? 5-way???

Fred

May 31, 2010
Covington, LA

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
maybe someone can get mep to participate and comment?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
^^^^ It's too early to bring this thread down the tubes.

Let's get some real replies.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
At this point based on what is going on in another thread that I started, I'm not going to say anything because I don't want this thread to come off the rails. The pitchfork mob is worked up to a frenzy and I'm sure there are some that are looking to get in some fresh jabs and I don't want this thread to be the place.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
At this point based on what is going on in another thread that I started, I'm not going to say anything because I don't want this thread to come off the rails. The pitchfork mob is worked up to a frenzy and I'm sure there are some that are looking to get in some fresh jabs and I don't want this thread to be the place.

it won't Mark.

I'm sure Nola owners are interested in your thought as are others

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
:confused:

Why what do reviewers know anyway?

Even I, who tend to look at most subjective reviews with skepticism, always welcome forum comments by reviewers ;)

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Even I, who tend to look at most subjective reviews with skepticism, always welcome forum comments by reviewers ;)

Sure you do. I'm fresh out of flowery prose and I don't have any measurements, graphs, and charts so that leaves me with nothing to contribute.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Sure you do. I'm fresh out of flowery prose and I don't have any measurements, graphs, and charts so that leaves me with nothing to contribute.

Yeah and your anaechoic chamber is acting up. :D

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Up until a couple of years ago I enjoyed reading purely subjective reviews and felt I learned things from them, and that is still probably true for many reviewers' reviews. Unfortunately, in the past 2-3 years The Absolute Sound has published totally unbelievable (or to use John Atkinson's phrase, "not credible") articles and reviews of music (downloads in particular), speakers and "computer audio", in more than a few cases claiming that completely identical items "sound different". As I posted in another thread, when this kind of thing happens repeatedly in one of the 2 highest profile review magazines, the reputation of the whole group of subjective reviewers suffers. And as I further mentioned, the publisher of yours and Myles own magazine (at least one of them) isn't helping to restore that reputation.

But that really has nothing to do with posts in forums by reviewers, which as I say are welcomed by me, at least

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Up until a couple of years ago I enjoyed reading purely subjective reviews and felt I learned things from them, and that is still probably true for many reviewers' reviews. Unfortunately, in the past 2-3 years The Absolute Sound has published totally unbelievable (or to use John Atkinson's phrase, "not credible") articles and reviews of music (downloads in particular), speakers and "computer audio", in more than a few cases claiming that completely identical items "sound different". As I posted in another thread, when this kind of thing happens repeatedly by one of the 2 highest profile review magazines, the reputation of the whole group of subjective reviewers suffers. And as I further mentioned, the publisher of yours and Myles own magazine (at least one of them) isn't helping to restore that reputation.

I'm curious, which "identical" items were reviewed in TAS and found to sound different by the reviewers? With regards to DSD 128 and DSD 256, I have yet to hear a comparison so I can't offer my opinion. I believe that Bruce B. said he didn't hear much difference after you get past DSD 128, but I could be wrong on that.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I'm curious, which "identical" items were reviewed in TAS and found to sound different by the reviewers? With regards to DSD 128 and DSD 256, I have yet to hear a comparison so I can't offer my opinion. I believe that Bruce B. said he didn't hear much difference after you get past DSD 128, but I could be wrong on that.
Mod: Please don't be curious about that in this thread. Subjective, personal feedback is requested by a member about a Nola loudspeaker. If you feel like offering that, please do. If not, then move along. Member has not asked for scientific data, nor a debate on other topics.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Would you agree with Steve's assessment of their sound?
I am sorry Fred but my time was very short at this CES and other than snapping a picture, and being impressed by the industrial design, I don't have any impressions to offer. My bad. :)

L.Segundo

Jun 27, 2015
mep,

While lurking this site last year, I caught your post stating that you'd ordered KOs. I checked back now and then just to see what you'd have to say. Then poof, you were gone. Personally, I dig what the Nola open baffle speakers do, so I'm interested in what other owners of the same might have to say. I hope you'll take the time, and, I hope others with valid arguments better suited for other sub-forums will leave them there.

L.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
THe review process has only somethings to do with the sound of the products. In my experience and that of many of my Industry friends, particularly those that are not the in the BIG few ( Magico, Wilson etc) have great difficulty getting a chance to get press. The magazines are a business and they are FOR profit companies. I dont have an issue with that however it is to be taken into consideration in digesting what they have to say.
On another note i have met my share of people that express opinions that just are not the experts one would have expected them to be.I have found that its a system world and we live in a component review country.
Nola speakers are for the ,most part , efficient, easy to drive, like tube amplifiers ( not exclusively) and the open baffles should be set up with no tilt or canting towards the listening area. They are easy to get to sound great with some moving away from the back wall and away from a corner. They dont need lots of room treatment like many other high end speakers need to sound their best.

Philtax

Jun 22, 2015
I've certainly found the KOs to be so. I'm listening to Ella and Louis singing Porgy and Bess and the band seems to spread out from about three feet to either side of the speakers and about a mile back while the vocals and Louis's trumpet are front and center. This is just a CD that I transferred to my computer, played back through iTunes / Amarra and a modest Musical Fidelity DAC but it works for me. I may just be blessed with a pretty cool room but they respond in a fresh lively way to whatever I throw at them, whether it's transistory 70's vinyl, shaded dog classics, electronica, jazz, you name it, loud or low.
Any other impressions out there?

Phil

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing