Nylon Headshell Washers.......A Headshell Headache

Grooves

Feb 29, 2012
Pacific Northwest
In the hopes of preventing headshell disfigurement on my new Phantom armwands I went back to using nylon washers atop the headshell when mounting cartridges. But again for the third time I've come to find that the cartridge has seriously shifted over the course of a few months. I've never had this problem w/o nylon washers. But I am convinced that for some reason I'm experiencing some slow "creeping". I tighten the screws as much as I have in the past being careful not to over tighten the screws. For certain whenever I use nylon washers initial alignment is much harder since tightening the screws cause much more cartridge twisting than when not using them. I have tried metal washers as well but can't say they work any better.

After finding again (the hard way) that my cartridge has again crept out of alignment over time I'm determined to either find a better washer or skip the washers all together. Any ideas?

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
If you are finding the washers are the cause for the movement, I suggest you use an abrasive airbrush [Paasche] with 50 micron aluminum oxide to roughen the surfaces of the washers, whether they are nylon or metallic. This will take the polished surface and make it matte. That should help keep the drift to a minimum.

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
is the screw/washer, while under pressure, eventually shifting/moving because it's pressing against an uneven surface? That's the only way I can imagine this happening.

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
Aluminum naturally binds, but I don't know where you can find really small aluminum washers.

Grooves

Feb 29, 2012
Pacific Northwest
I think in general the cartridge is moving from the force of the tightened screws or from the "skating" force, since the cart. moved/rotated clockwise/outward. I know I am tightening hard enough, and this is probably why I didn't use them on my Graham 2.2.

I thought about roughing them up with some wet/dry sandpaper but I will probably just try some brass washers or none at all. Since I'm currently breaking in a new mono cartridge (also using nylon washers)and I am swapping my armwands enough to make an easy check on a regular basis. I'll wait till I see something happening then I'll make my move to try something else.

Last edited:

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
can't imagine the skating force being the culprit, but it's so hard to tell from this distance. perhaps let off the tightened screws a little more (mine are just snug) and use a touch of blu-tak as an anchor?

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Blu tack might make the mounting resilient instead of rigid. I wouldn't use that.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Aluminum naturally binds, but I don't know where you can find really small aluminum washers.

You can get miniature stainless washers at any good hardware store.

Just air abrade them with a paasche to a matte surface, and you're in business.

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
i was suggesting a little external blob/anchor, not used between headshell and cart. either way, a compromise.

rockhopper

Sep 10, 2014
Malvern Worcestershire UK
I use 6mm thin s/s washers on top of the headshell, then a nylon washer directly under the head of the bolt. This washer prevents any marking of the Phantom headshell and the nylon washer gives a little bit of tension to the bolt.
My Moerch DP8 is in Black paint which is easily marked but using this has kept the wands in mint condition.
I have never had a cartridge move with this idea.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
Has anyone tried a Belleville washer? They are made of spring steel and you can precisely torque them down.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#93501a003/=xr84j3

As they absorb vibration, you can be quite precise about the torque and you don't have to over-tighten (which is what scars the headshell).

Use one of these to secure:

http://www.amazon.com/Wiha-28593-TorqueVario-S-Micro-Bit-Piece/dp/B000T9SDF6

if these type washers apply ...
Belleville_washer.jpg

have used 'em in many applications, but never with a cart. They do come in very small sizes required tho, and they might work in regard to the OP problem.

Hobby shops may also provide this type of small hardware.

Grooves

Feb 29, 2012
Pacific Northwest
I've tried the dual washer ss/nylon but had a hell of a time tightening the cart. w/o having it twist during tightening no matter how slow I tightened or how hard I held the cart. in place while tightening. No matter what I did didn't work. After a near miss I called it quits and went to just a single washer. I'll have to rethink this again when the time comes. But at least I have some new ideas. In the end I was able to finally get my TT in a better position to use my Mint LP protractor w/o maiming myself. This may allow me to finally try some of the Soundsmith cartridge screws, though they won't work with my Miyajima mono.:mad: On another positive note, the Graham jig proved itself "worthy" and I was spot on vs. the Mint LP protractor.

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
sorry about your frustration grooves, hope you find a solution soon, please update.

Grooves

Feb 29, 2012
Pacific Northwest
TBone,
Thanks, I can always use a bit-o-sympathy especially when it comes to the analog aspect of my system. If there's a problem to experience I'll experience it!
Cheers!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing