Question to MMthree Owners

TheAudioAssociation

Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Anaheim Hills, CA
I have carpet on concrete as well, but I am only using the spikes. I have considered the Wave Kinetics in the past, but wasn't sure that there would be a sonic improvement over the spikes going through the carpet and into concrete. So, your results are interesting.

How is the stability?

Rock solid on berber carpet.... I would think it should be stable regardless.

Rutgar

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas Area
mysite.verizon.net
Rock solid on berber carpet.... I would think it should be stable regardless.

Ah, okay. I was asking because the times I've had the speakers flat on the carpet (no spikes) for easier sliding to adjust positioning, they seem a little 'wobbly'. There is a fairly thick pad under the carpet.

I have passingly considered putting down a wood floor across the front of the room where the speakers sit, and leaving the back half carpeted. My biggest issue with doing that, is it would be a bit of an expense, and not easily, and inexpensively reversible, if I don't like the results (or if I for some reason I need to put the room back to resemble a 'normal' room).

(Gardena, CA... We lived in Lynwood when I was kid. I remember going to Ascot Park in Gardena to watch stock car, motorcycle and demolition derby races. I think the old place is a parking lot now.)

Last edited:

TheAudioAssociation

Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Anaheim Hills, CA
Ah, okay. I was asking because the times I've had the speakers flat on the carpet (no spikes) for easier sliding to adjust positioning, they seem a little 'wobbly'. There is a fairly thick pad under the carpet.

I have passingly considered putting down a wood floor across the front of the room where the speakers sit, and leaving the back half carpeted. My biggest issue with doing that, is it would be a bit of an expense, and not easily, and inexpensively reversible, if I don't like the results (or if I for some reason I need to put the room back to resemble a 'normal' room).

(Gardena, CA... We lived in Lynwood when I was kid. I remember going to Ascot Park in Gardena to watch stock car, motorcycle and demolition derby races. I think the old place is a parking lot now.)

Hey Bill.....

I would probably vote for the wood floor as well. Every well planned room had that as their flooring under speakers. I'd opt for the same but I've got my setup in a converted master bedroom so I have to leave everything pretty much as is just in case.....

I had engineered floor in our "Great Room" where the system used to reside. If you're handy you could probably lay the wood floor down yourself! They actually have easy to assemble flooring that can be found at Home Depot or Lowes...... Might want to give it a look see.

So if you know where Ascot Park is about two blocks away from my house. It was a parking lot for a while now it's a insurance auction house for salvaged vehicles. Nothing like living in "the hood". Actually our neighborhood is great! Still many original owners with new families moving in....... It's where we'll call "home" for a while.

Rutgar

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas Area
mysite.verizon.net
I haven't completely dismissed doing it yet. I do have a couple of other things I want to take care of first though, such as better/additional bass trapping, and more audio-friendly chairs (which are hard to find since I also want the seating to be comfortable long term due to the theater aspects of the room). But generally, the 2-channel needs have won out in my 'dual-use' room. And when it finally comes to the seating, I think the 2-channel considerations will have the most influence.

TheAudioAssociation

Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Anaheim Hills, CA
I haven't completely dismissed doing it yet. I do have a couple of other things I want to take care of first though, such as better/additional bass trapping, and more audio-friendly chairs (which are hard to find since I also want the seating to be comfortable long term due to the theater aspects of the room). But generally, the 2-channel needs have won out in my 'dual-use' room. And when it finally comes to the seating, I think the 2-channel considerations will have the most influence.

Absolutely..... bass trapping is essential along with the "audiophile friendly" listening chair. My other room was dual purpose. Now I have my 2 channel system all by its lonesome and I have to say it's the best thing I've done audio wise in quite a while.

analyzer

VIP/Donor
May 20, 2016
Torino - Italy
So.. you can add also me between the owners of these superb Evolution Acoustics speakers.
The MM3's replaced a pair of Kharma Grand Ceramique Midi in a middle-sized room (6 meters by 4,3 approx.; ceiling varying from 2,2 meter until 4,5 meters).
I bought in the used market here in Europe and it was an unmissable purchase (despite these "hard times" for my business).
I asked to Mr. Tinn in order to buy a full set feet replacement since the original ones have been lost. I noted that many owners uses Stillpoints or Wave Kinetics, both very expensive. Maybe... at the moment I'm enjoying the music as I never heard before in 30 years listening...
best
Marco

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing