Question to MMthree Owners

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Rutgar,

any updates? another vote to see you treat yourself and get the upper module! From everything i have ever read, heard about these (all extremely positive), and from my own experience on increasing effortlessness through getting more capability in my system before it reaches its limits, i do not think you will regret this one (at all). Good luck and pls keep us posted!

rad

Jun 13, 2010
Ohio
Has the upper bass module been ordered? I would agree that the sonic benefits to your room & system would all be positive going to the MM3's.
You will wonder why you didn't do it sooner.

Rutgar

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas Area
mysite.verizon.net
I haven't orderd the upper bass module at this time.

I was at CES last week, and I had every intention of discussing certain options with both Kevin and Jonathan, such as going with the Playback Designs MPS-5, and maybe the Dartzeel CTH-8550 integrated first. Unfortunately, between all of the other distractions at CES, and the Blue Light Audio room always being packed, I never had the opportunity to talk to them, other that to say, "Hi."

The chief reason I'm leaning towards the CD player first, over the Bass Module, is because a few weeks ago, a friend brought over a better CD player than my Luxman D-05. The better player actually provided much of the 'weight' and bass quality, that I feel my system is currently lacking. Which got me considering going with the MPS-5 and seeing where that puts me, before going for the upper bass modules on the MMTwo.

Decisions, decisions!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Rutgar,

The choice is yours and yours alone. Pls keep us posted! FWIW, if you think the extra bass unit will work well in your room, i would personally vote for the MM3. I suspect the PD is not inexpensive either, and while no doubt you could experience, clarity, dynamic range and a whole host of other improvements (there's always something better around the corner!), i have to imagine that the MM3 module will absolutely blow you away if you are looking for just awesome effortlessness, power, depth, control and of course B-A-S-S.

Again, its a guess since i dont know exactly what your looking for, your system...just my own thought based on your post, and my own experience in what's happened when i changed speakers vs when i changed front end electronics. (i went from Daewoo dvd player to Zanden DAC...and from SF Stradivaris to Wilson X-1/Grand Slamms). DVD player was ridiculous upgrade in quality of sound (incl bass of course)...but if were talking about power, power and more effortless delivery, the difference between the Grand Slamms and the already very good Strads was easily the waaaay bigger upgrade...and it cost me way less too. just one person's experience. enjoy! you will no doubt get better music no matter which way to choose to go...and probably will end up with BOTH in the end!!!! just a matter of time...;)

Rutgar

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas Area
mysite.verizon.net
I completely agree with you about the upper bass module. And you're correct that I will most likely, eventually end up with both the new source and the speaker.

I will be auditioning the Playback Designs MPS-5 in my system next weekend, along with a Luxman D-06. So, depending on how that turns out will help me determine which direction I will go first!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Enjoy! let us know how it goes next weekend. i would be curious to know what you think of both models vs the Luxman you already have. i suspect better sound in the same family for the Luxman 6 v 5...cannot speak to the PD...perhaps more clear, more open sound (perhaps technically more accomplished than Luxman...but not necessarily more musical in the delivery of the musical message? i have heard good things about Luxman in general.)

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Have not not heard the Luxman. It just seems the PD and MM3 are a match made heaven. IMO.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Rutgar,

good luck this weekend...just found the distributor for Shindo and will be auditioning one of their preamps this weekend...will post my findings...exciting.

Rutgar

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas Area
mysite.verizon.net
Hello all. I know it's been a few months. I wanted to share with everyone here the results of out little audition session with a picture below:

Yes, that's my new MPS-5 (just got it yesterday). Maybe because I was aware of this player's break-in period, that I wasn't expecting too much. But right out of the box, this unit sounds fantastic and I am more that impressed! So if it only gets better with proper break-in, then I believe I have really made a great choice. For the MMThree fans here, don't worry. I currently have a deal on the upper bass module in the works. I'm just having to work through a few last minute logistical details on my end. So they are coming!

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I k-n-e-w it!!!!! hah! Congrats...glad to hear you're doing it in style. i feel very confident you will never regret doing it "right!" pls continue to post.

Rutgar

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas Area
mysite.verizon.net
Thanks! And I believe you are correct in that it was the right decision. I was going to post our findings from our little 'shootout', but in the end, I figured the above picture said all that needed to be said. BTW, how did the Shindo preamp auditioning go?

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I bought Mike's used MM3 (it wil be a few weeks before I have them). I have a few questions on setup - I will probably need to get two guys over to assemble/position them, and I won't have much opportunity to move them around or tweak after initial setup.

First is vibration control / feet. I have carpeting on a concrete basement floor. Do I just use pierceing spikes? Anyone using other vibration control. How about the the Wave Kinetics? Anything equivalent?

Second is positioning - my room is just 13ft wide. I can move them in about 5 - 6 feet, and a feet or three clear from the sidewall (all measured at the center of the driver). So the center of the drivers will be spaced 7ft wide. My listening position will be about 9ft - 10ft from the driver. How much toe in do you advice? Most pics I see the speakers have a lot of toe in.

Thanks in advance for advise.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Congrats! I've listened to them at Mike's place many times.
My room is about 13' feet wide and I used the calculation on the EA website. It puts the center of the drivers about 43" from the side walls and about 70" from the front wall. Put them on 4 furniture sliders until you get precisely the correct setup. If you're on carpet/concrete, then I'd leave them on spikes. I have mine on hardwood and use the Wave Kinetics footers. I have my toe-in intersecting about 1.5' behind me

Also, you'll need at least 3 "good" guys for these things.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Thanks Bruce - that is usefull. So your driver centers are 6' apart (13' minus 2x 43"). I may end up staying a tad closer to the sidewalls because of physical constraints, but I should get close enough to the theoretical ideal. How far away from the drivers is your listening position. I am planning on getting two "good guys" over for the job and include myself as the third.

By the way, I tried to get to your website to see a picture of how you're MM3's are positioned in the studio, but the site is not working.

Last edited:

Rutgar

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas Area
mysite.verizon.net
As Bruce said, Congrats!

For setting them up, you will need at least three guys (four would be even better). The manual instructs you to assemble the speakers on their sides, and then stand them up. But when I followed this procedure, when adding the upper bass module, the latching system failed, and it was almost a catastrophe. We ended up just standing the lower portion up first, and then with 4 guys, heaving the upper bass module up on top. If you talk to Mike, I believe he actually used one of the shipping crates, by placing it next to the standing lower bass module/MTM section (placing a pad on the crate to protect the finish on the speaker), and then doing the lift in two steps; First from the floor to the top of the crate. And then from the top of the crate, to the top of the speaker stack.

I have some thoughts on positioning as well. And will try to post later.

TheAudioAssociation

Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Anaheim Hills, CA
I have MM2's on carpet/concrete and I can tell you that the Wave Kinetics under the spikes versus spikes only made a huge difference. The bass became more defined and tightened up. I highly recommend it!

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Eddie, Good to know. I was leaning in that direction. In fact, Mike is offering to sell me his Harmonix Combak RF-999 MT MkII used. Price will probably be in the same ballpark as 8 new wave kinetics. any suggestions which would work best? Considering the logistics involved I doubt anyone has ever done a shootout between these, but who knows.

TheAudioAssociation

Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Anaheim Hills, CA
Eddie, Good to know. I was leaning in that direction. In fact, Mike is offering to sell me his Harmonix Combak RF-999 MT MkII used. Price will probably be in the same ballpark as 8 new wave kinetics. any suggestions which would work best? Considering the logistics involved I doubt anyone has ever done a shootout between these, but who knows.

As I have never used the Harmonix product I can't say how it would sound versus the Wave Kinetics. I can say that a friend who was helping me place my speakers thought I was crazy to install the footers since every other setup was just spike through the carpet. Once we heard the difference he was not only blown away but couldn't make sense of it as its against his speaker setup experience...... I would chat with Jonathan Tinn to get further info.....

Btw.... If the Harmonix were on Mike's speakers when I heard them a couple of years ago then they sounded great on his wood floor. Don't know how they would work on carpet....

You are in for a wonderful treat when you get the MM3's singing!

Last edited:

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
As I have never used the Harmonix product I can't say how it would sound versus the Wave Kinetics. I can say that a friend who was helping me place my speakers thought I was crazy to install the footers since every other setup was just spike through the carpet. Once we heard the difference he was not only blown away but couldn't make sense of it as its against his speaker setup experience...... I would chat with Jonathan Tinn to get further info.....

Btw.... If the Harmonix were on Mike's speakers when I heard them a couple of years ago then they sounded great on his wood floor. Don't know how they would work on carpet....

You are in for a wonderful treat when you get the MM3's singing!

I am leaning towards getting the Harmonix. Reason being that whichever will work best is a coin toss, so I might as well get the depreciated used ones. If I ever have to resell I don't take a hit, as opposed to new stuff on which I would lose 40%.

Rutgar

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas Area
mysite.verizon.net
I have MM2's on carpet/concrete and I can tell you that the Wave Kinetics under the spikes versus spikes only made a huge difference. The bass became more defined and tightened up. I highly recommend it!

I have carpet on concrete as well, but I am only using the spikes. I have considered the Wave Kinetics in the past, but wasn't sure that there would be a sonic improvement over the spikes going through the carpet and into concrete. So, your results are interesting.

How is the stability?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing