Sweet Wines

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
I have an allergy to most alcohol, but old, vintage wine agrees with my body and my palate. My favourite is botrytised sweet wines - Sauternes is probably the most famous of these, but also from Vouvray, Alsace and even Australia. The common denominator of these wines is that they are made from grapes ripened and rotted by a fungus that sucks out the moisture and concentrates the flavors.

The least well-known of these is also the favourite among my favourites - Tokaji Aszu. It is also the most unusual in that they usually combine the sweet essence of the rotted grapes with fermented base wine. First, ripe grapes of the current vintage without botrytis is harvested and made into a base wine. Then, when the botrytis has had a chance to shrivel up the berries (the aszu grapes), this is made into a paste and added to the base wine.

The amount of aszu paste is measured in "puttonyos" - usually as few as 3 for the lower quality and up to 5, or rarely 6. This combination produces a unique combination of sweet, unctuous honeyed wine with the acidity of the base furmint wine.

Tokaji Aszu was celebrated and consumed by the European Royal families from the 15th century to the late 19th century. Then, phylloxera hit Hungarian vineyards hard and wiped out most of the vines. After that, World War I, the fall of the Austrian-Hungarian Empire, World War II, and communism meant that great Tokaji Aszu, which required exceptional care and labour, was not made until about 1990 with the awakening of the Hungarian wine industry.

For Father's Day this weekend, we had the 1993 Disznoko Tokaji Aszu 6 Puttonyos.

“1993 is very important to us: it marks a true renaissance in the wines of Tokaj and of the region, the first great vintage after the political transition and a new era for Disznók? recently purchased by AXA Millésimes. 1993 was marked by a long, dry and hot summer. It rained at just the right time thus creating the most perfect conditions for Botrytis to spread over the over-ripened berries rich in sugars and acidity. They shrivelled completely in the long, warm autumn days unveiling an elegant botrytis character. Even though I was not yet working at Disznók?, it is a very moving wine to taste because of its purity, its subtle aromas, its unique structure, and because it embodies so well the new era.”

László Mészáros
Director of Disznoko

After 22 years - it was gorgeous. Honey, dried apricots, orange blossoms and even a little bit flinty.

Tokaji.jpg

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
One of the best I've had was at Philip O Hanon's place at the Newport show. My glass was never empty and as soon as I got home, I ordered 6 bottles!
I also like Ice Wines and the Moscato Frizzate wines.

IMG_1207.JPG

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Nice! Chateau Broustet is a Barsac Sauternes. If you like sweet wines and the Broustet is up your alley, try Doisy-Daene as well. My favourite Barsac.

I will sure to look them up! Thanks!!

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
A great Aussie desert wine

product1_40863_600x600.jpg

Attachments

• Noble_One_500ml_2010_web.jpg
    Noble_One_500ml_2010_web.jpg
    256.7 KB · Views: 272

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Gary-- Try some from Alsace

BruceD

Hi BruceD,

I've still got a few bottles of the Alsace Gewürztraminers in my cellar. However, most of the Alsace wines are ice-wines (like the German Trockenbeerenauslese) and while I enjoy them every once and again, I find that they are very much more simple and one-dimensional than the botrytised wines.

A great Aussie desert wine

View attachment 21168

The de Bartoli Noble One is excellent young. However, I made the mistake of cellaring some away and by the time I opened some at 15 years, they had already died. I still have a few bottles of "museum" 1982's (their first vintage).

MikeCh

Nov 21, 2014
Hi Gary,

We too enjoy the sweet wines of Sauternes, Barsac, Beaumes de Venise and others. We collect some other non-sweet wines to lay down but by far our largest collection of lay-down-and-forget them are the sweet wines. So refreshing and simple to taste a nice Sauternes with summer peaches lightly drizzled with balsamic vinegar, tossed on the grill and served with a small scoop of vanilla ice cream and a sip (or split).

Mike

MikeCh

Nov 21, 2014
We either do the peaches straight on the grill by themselves or do a balsamic reduction/glaze to drizzle on the peach halves. Either way they are simple and fantastic with Sauternes. Enjoy!

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I don't do sweet wines at all, but I will definitely try those Peaches on the BBQ.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Two very unusual but excellent half bottles with dinner tonight.

The Chateau d'Arlay is according to Robert Parker

It is nearly impossible to describe these wines other than to say they are very intense, wonderful in a freakish way, and should be show-stoppers at any dinner party.

Dessert Wines.jpg

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
The de Bartoli Noble One is excellent young. However, I made the mistake of cellaring some away and by the time I opened some at 15 years, they had already died. I still have a few bottles of "museum" 1982's (their first vintage).
Gary, I was curious that you had this experience - and discovered this overview done in 2009: http://nobleone.com.au/fileadmin/documents/general/sarah_ahmed_thewinedetective08_09_2009.pdf.

Sounds as if you may have been unlucky - that's a shame ...

MikeCh

Nov 21, 2014
Any of you guys try the summer peaches on the grill? Comments?

FYI.....it's that time of year again! (don't forget a small dollop of vanilla ice cream on top)

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Gary, I was curious that you had this experience - and discovered this overview done in 2009: http://nobleone.com.au/fileadmin/documents/general/sarah_ahmed_thewinedetective08_09_2009.pdf.

Sounds as if you may have been unlucky - that's a shame ...

Thanks, Frank. I missed this. I must have been really unlucky - but I do still have some bottles of 1991 left back in Singapore. However, since this was done in 2009, the comparison with 2001 Sauternes would not have been fair. Those are just developing. Many regard 2001 as the best vintage of modern times. It was also the year I got married and since I married a girl who loves sweet wines, I put away 20 cases......

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Any of you guys try the summer peaches on the grill? Comments?

FYI.....it's that time of year again! (don't forget a small dollop of vanilla ice cream on top)

YES - definitely did. Not with vanilla ice cream, but a drizzle of great balsamic.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing