Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Good to know! Cheers to Lew!

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Great to hear longer term successes like this.

Question: my impression which may very well be wrong, is that like Mac, their status in the industry was far higher in early days, and now, than it was in the middle. Is that wrong?

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Great to hear longer term successes like this.

Question: my impression which may very well be wrong, is that like Mac, their status in the industry was far higher in early days, and now, than it was in the middle. Is that wrong?

I don't think so. I don't recall CJ ever falling out of favor or losing status. Myles would be a better person to answer this since he has followed CJ more closely than I have over the years.

Last edited:

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
CJ does not come out with new gear every 6 months like other companies. They only seem to introduce new products when they are truly better than the previous generation or can match performance at a lower price point. Some take this to be components going stale, which is unfortunate. My CJ (and Myles') compete with the best.

bgiliberti

Mar 28, 2012
Great to hear longer term successes like this.Question: my impression which may very well be wrong, is that like Mac, their status in the industry was far higher in early days, and now, than it was in the middle. Is that wrong?
I'd say Mac is riding pretty high these days. CJ is still as respected as it was in the early days, for largely the same reasons. But it's a much more crowded field today.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Love cj products. Cj stand by and support every cj product they have ever built.

The GAT is one of the truly great preamps of all time

Lew Johnson is one of the nicest guys one would ever want to meet.

Looking forward to 40 years at cj.

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India
Love cj products. Cj stand by and support every cj product they have ever built.

+++1
Pradeep

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Particularly for the money (still very expensive), I really like the CJ gear i've heard over the years. And my current fav is the GAT. Yes, when their ART first came out, it was heralded in an almost singularly unique way as i recall...and despite some very good press, i dont see CJ singled out in quite the same way any longer. But the world seems to have a lot more uber high end designers now compared with 15-20+ years ago.

That said, i still recall the 'last straw' in my decision making process regarding buying a CJ GAT.

I had spoken with a dealer who could offer me the Wavac PRT1, Shindo Petrus and Zanden 3000...and asked him for his personal favorite recommendation on these three. When he heard i was also considering the CJ GAT...he said he preferred the CJ over these 3. I had assumed he was able to arrange for me to get a CJ GAT thru him...and when he said 'no, i cannot get it for you...i was stunned and asked why he recommended i go with CJ?!?! He was quite clear..."because it's better." To this day, i have remembered that dealer and promised i would go back and give him business when i am looking for something special.

And i certainly have not regretted owning the CJ GAT since that day around 4 years ago.

Last edited:

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
A

It follows in the footsteps of their previous SOTA ART line stage, a product that stayed in their product line for 12 or so years and three updates.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
A

It follows in the footsteps of their previous SOTA ART line stage, a product that stayed in their product line for 12 or so years and three updates.

I know, like you Myles I owned the ART 1 and 3. beautiful preamp and less hard on tubes than the GAT :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing