UpTone Audio Regen 'amber'

Sam Lord

Jun 17, 2013
Is this based on experience or theory?

I'm guessing theory, there are manufacturers who are implementing opto isolating solutions that are far less than a meter, built in specific components, not
just for audio but for enterprise solutions as well.

I implemented fiber optic for my two networked audio systems with great success with 1 meter runs of fiber optic cable for each system with the help
of a good friend who works for a major telecom, and whose very expertise is fiber optic.

The so called "noise" is a very, very easy fix. Too many solutions to note. The easiest and cheapest is iFi
s iPower 9V power supplies, which are quieter than batteries.

There are lots of reasons to use optoisolation in audio gear, but lowering noise isn't one. But your point is valid, I haven't explored the noise performance of new transceivers: my experience is old. I used to build amps and preamps, but also looked at the design of DACs and their challenges, and I've made elementary fiber optic circuits and connections. Optoisolators specifically are really useful for safety circuits. The main audio problem of fiber optic circuits *used* to be the noise created by the receiver, typically a photodiode. Old ones created shot noise about as bad as zener diode. Based on your comment I tried to find comparisons of specific detectivity (D) in current receivers vs those I used years ago to get a sense of noise in current devices. They are much better: a vast amount of research has poured into photonic devices for cameras and telecoms.

Note, the Ifi is an external circuit, so has no application here. You need to isolate the power for the photodiode. That can be as simple as a bypass cap or as complex as a wholly separate supply, albeit tied to the same ground.

Just curious, why did you implement fiber optic instead of electrical connections in your system?

Brucemck2

Member Sponsor
May 10, 2010
Houston area
Just curious, why did you implement fiber optic instead of electrical connections in your system?

I also implemented some fibre connections ... but primarily to isolate my high dollar systems from the rest of my home for lightning/surge protection.

We recently sustained a lightning hit to our back yard, which propagated through the rs232 connections on the alarm and HVAC automation links, and, the POE wiring to the surveillance cameras. Only a handful of low-voltage devices were fried (a few thermostats, some HVAC control boards, an alarm system control panel, an external surveillance camera, a Crestron rs232 module, etc., but it could have been much worse.) I've since fully isolated every major "subsystem", including my music/theater gear, so that there are no unprotected hardwired links other than the ground wire.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
There are lots of reasons to use optoisolation in audio gear, but lowering noise isn't one. But your point is valid, I haven't explored the noise performance of new transceivers: my experience is old. I used to build amps and preamps, but also looked at the design of DACs and their challenges, and I've made elementary fiber optic circuits and connections. Optoisolators specifically are really useful for safety circuits. The main audio problem of fiber optic circuits *used* to be the noise created by the receiver, typically a photodiode. Old ones created shot noise about as bad as zener diode. Based on your comment I tried to find comparisons of specific detectivity (D) in current receivers vs those I used years ago to get a sense of noise in current devices. They are much better: a vast amount of research has poured into photonic devices for cameras and telecoms.

Note, the Ifi is an external circuit, so has no application here. You need to isolate the power for the photodiode. That can be as simple as a bypass cap or as complex as a wholly separate supply, albeit tied to the same ground.

Hi Sam:

Thanks for the reply and the technical information.

I am sorry, but I have to disagree, noise IS an absolutely valid reason to implement fiber optic isolation.

I also think I did not make my set up clear..my fault. So apologies.

I do have the house wired with ethernet cat7 cable. Where I break the electrical connection is right before my streamers
with two media converters and a fiber optic cable. I have this set up duplicated in two systems in two different rooms

The change was the most dramatic improvement in 7 years of networked audio.

I don't see your system listed, do you have an audio network set up?

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
"Diana Krall loses some of that annoying breathiness" Her "breathiness" gives me a woody.

Sam Lord

Jun 17, 2013
Hi Sam:

Thanks for the reply and the technical information.

I am sorry, but I have to disagree, noise IS an absolutely valid reason to implement fiber optic isolation.

I also think I did not make my set up clear..my fault. So apologies.

I do have the house wired with ethernet cat7 cable. Where I break the electrical connection is right before my streamers
with two media converters and a fiber optic cable. I have this set up duplicated in two systems in two different rooms

The change was the most dramatic improvement in 7 years of networked audio.

I don't see your system listed, do you have an audio network set up?

Hi Marc, sorry for the late reply. As usual, I meant to restrict the meaning of my statement, but forgot. I meant to say that replacing short electrical data cables with fiber optics would not lower noise in systems that were carefully set up. I was thinking specifically of the last data interconnects, i.e. feeding a DAC. There is a simple theory behind it, just looking at the amplification and conversion of the optical signal at the DAC. And of course, somebody then does it and disproves my thesis. Heh, end of story! Thanks for your description.

I have a very simple network, but it only goes to one listening space. It's a long way from "What's Best," but it'll do. Getting time alignment right was a big chore. I have 4 nCore400 channels but haven't yet gotten enclosures for them; the standard cases aren't laid out right:

Mac Mini 2012 with 2.3 GHz i5 CPU and 16GB RAM running newest OS10.9x and Signalyst HQ Player software (occasionally JRMC), ethernet to Cisco SG100-08 GigE switch, ethernet to SOtM SMS100 Miniserver in audio room, sending via short 1/2 meter AQ Cinnamon USB to Oppo 105D, feeding balanced outputs to 2x Bel Canto S300 amps which vertically biamp ATC SCM20SL speakers, 2x Velodyne DD12+ subs. Each side is mounted vertically on 3-tiered Sound Anchor ADJ2 stands: ATC (top), amp (middle), sub (bottom), Mogami, Koala, Nordost, Mosaic cables, split at the preamp outputs with splitters. All transducers are thoroughly and lovingly time aligned for the listening position.

Cheers, Sam

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Hi Marc, sorry for the late reply. As usual, I meant to restrict the meaning of my statement, but forgot. I meant to say that replacing short electrical data cables with fiber optics would not lower noise in systems that were carefully set up. I was thinking specifically of the last data interconnects, i.e. feeding a DAC. There is a simple theory behind it, just looking at the amplification and conversion of the optical signal at the DAC. And of course, somebody then does it and disproves my thesis. Heh, end of story! Thanks for your description.

I have a very simple network, but it only goes to one listening space. It's a long way from "What's Best," but it'll do. Getting time alignment right was a big chore. I have 4 nCore400 channels but haven't yet gotten enclosures for them; the standard cases aren't laid out right:

Mac Mini 2012 with 2.3 GHz i5 CPU and 16GB RAM running newest OS10.9x and Signalyst HQ Player software (occasionally JRMC), ethernet to Cisco SG100-08 GigE switch, ethernet to SOtM SMS100 Miniserver in audio room, sending via short 1/2 meter AQ Cinnamon USB to Oppo 105D, feeding balanced outputs to 2x Bel Canto S300 amps which vertically biamp ATC SCM20SL speakers, 2x Velodyne DD12+ subs. Each side is mounted vertically on 3-tiered Sound Anchor ADJ2 stands: ATC (top), amp (middle), sub (bottom), Mogami, Koala, Nordost, Mosaic cables, split at the preamp outputs with splitters. All transducers are thoroughly and lovingly time aligned for the listening position.

Cheers, Sam

Hi Sam:

thanks for follow up.

Sounds like you have a pretty neat computer audio system. Simplicity is good. I feed two systems with one NAS.

Time alignment is my thing too! I am a Thiel fan!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing