UpTone Audio Regen 'amber'

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
Thought I'd start a new thread rather than corrupt the GG thread.

OK, only two days listening to a specific selection of songs I know very well and bearing in mind I prefer a musical sound rather than analytic sound I'm still coming to terms with what the Regen brings to the party.

There have been hundreds of positive reports for the Regen with notably a couple of negatives from WBF members. What can I add?

Bearing in mind my tastes in music, anything from pop, jazz, indie, country and classical my take is that the Regen in my system reveals space like a champion. Transients better defined and bass much tighter.

Initially I thought the Regen was too revealing and lost some of the bloom and musicality, the Warmth of the system, but actually it reveals that the warmth is just noise buried in the mix bringing added warmth.

With the Regen you can hear around a voice better, it's more delineated in space. Complex music or heavy mixes are clearer to understand and width of the soundstage is greater.

Diana Krall loses some of that annoying breathiness. Beck, Morning, is no longer a mass of sounds but spread further apart so you can understand it better. Cassandra Wilson now sounds closer to hearing her live, with less of that thick caramel/ honey sound. And of course space is much greater due to lower noise floor.

I listened the whole afternoon and going back to non Regen sounds as though a gauze, a beautiful one, is placed over the music.

There is a perceived thinness but again I believe that's noise thickening up the sound.

Just listening to Eric Bibb/Habib Koite, Needed Time and the thumb of the bass is strong, the shaker is so clear, vocals so present. Sinatra, Wee small hours with the Regen knocks a few years off Franks voice, less plummy but still that magic emotion.

I expected to be disappointed due to A few negative comments, mainly in relation to the Lampizator, and have been pleasantly surprised.

Should I start to miss the old sound I'm man enough to say I was wrong but so far it seems a winner.

If any UK WBF members would like to try the Regen I am willing to post to you for a few days listening. Just send me a pm. And we'll arrange something. But first, got to send it to Mr. Sablon or Bonzo?

Cheers
Blue 58

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
It seems that we all hear the same things, although differ in our subjective opinion.

To my ears, my server sounds more natural and fuller without the Regen. This certain 'perceived thinness' that you also noted is sth which I didn't like.

On the other hand, I have managed to close the gap on the Regen's exemplary transcient speed, articulation and resolution by adding to my server linear and battery PSUs, Jcat USB card, filtered TotalDAC D1 USB cable etc to the point that I do not get that WOW effecy most of you are experiencing. Regen is still a bit better on resolution, but not more than 5-10%. It is much more expensive route, but the end result is much more real sounding to my ears.

If I was using a standard laptop or Mac Mini, my view could well be different.

I'm awaiting the improved Regen Amber to arrive to see what it brings to the table.

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
Nicely described (meaning that I hear the same things ;) ) !
Thanks Jim.
BTW I can't tell you how many times I read your 100 secrets and followed your Avantgarde setup instructions.
I owe you a pint.
Cheers

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
Elberoth, You'll like the Amber.
Just listening to Laura Mvula with the Metropole Orkest, Sing to the Moon.
Saw them at the RAH last year and Now I'm hearing this recording like never before.
Appears to be getting better with some hours on it.
Keep us posted on how you get on.
Blue58

Last edited:

Jim Smith

Industry Expert
Dec 14, 2012
It seems that we all hear the same things, although differ in our subjective opinion.

To my ears, my server sounds more natural and fuller without the Regen. This certain 'perceived thinness' that you also noted is sth which I didn't like.

On the other hand, I have managed to close the gap on the Regen's exemplary transcient speed, articulation and resolution by adding to my server linear and battery PSUs, Jcat USB card, filtered TotalDAC D1 USB cable etc to the point that I do not get that WOW effecy most of you are experiencing. Regen is still a bit better on resolution, but not more than 5-10%. It is much more expensive route, but the end result is much more real sounding to my ears.

I'm awaiting the improved Regen Amber to arrive to see what it brings to the table.

Mine is the amber and I use a MBP, dedicated to music use.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Thought I'd start a new thread rather than corrupt the GG thread.

OK, only two days listening to a specific selection of songs I know very well and bearing in mind I prefer a musical sound rather than analytic sound I'm still coming to terms with what the Regen brings to the party.

There have been hundreds of positive reports for the Regen with notably a couple of negatives from WBF members. What can I add?

Bearing in mind my tastes in music, anything from pop, jazz, indie, country and classical my take is that the Regen in my system reveals space like a champion. Transients better defined and bass much tighter.

Initially I thought the Regen was too revealing and lost some of the bloom and musicality, the Warmth of the system, but actually it reveals that the warmth is just noise buried in the mix bringing added warmth.

With the Regen you can hear around a voice better, it's more delineated in space. Complex music or heavy mixes are clearer to understand and width of the soundstage is greater.

Diana Krall loses some of that annoying breathiness. Beck, Morning, is no longer a mass of sounds but spread further apart so you can understand it better. Cassandra Wilson now sounds closer to hearing her live, with less of that thick caramel/ honey sound. And of course space is much greater due to lower noise floor.

I listened the whole afternoon and going back to non Regen sounds as though a gauze, a beautiful one, is placed over the music.

There is a perceived thinness but again I believe that's noise thickening up the sound.

Just listening to Eric Bibb/Habib Koite, Needed Time and the thumb of the bass is strong, the shaker is so clear, vocals so present. Sinatra, Wee small hours with the Regen knocks a few years off Franks voice, less plummy but still that magic emotion.

I expected to be disappointed due to A few negative comments, mainly in relation to the Lampizator, and have been pleasantly surprised.

Should I start to miss the old sound I'm man enough to say I was wrong but so far it seems a winner.

If any UK WBF members would like to try the Regen I am willing to post to you for a few days listening. Just send me a pm. And we'll arrange something. But first, got to send it to Mr. Sablon or Bonzo?

Cheers
Blue 58

Hi Barry, I have the Regen, and am getting the Amber upgrade, but have not got around to trying those yet. My current OCD is Horns, especially Western Electric :p

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Mine is the amber and I use a MBP, dedicated to music use.

So apples to oranges. I'm looking forward for my Amber to arrive. I hope it will put my doubts to rest.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Elberoth, You'll like the Amber.

I do like it ... on my Trinity DAC. With the Trinity I do not hear that 'perceived thinness' as with the Lampi and all Regen's hallmarks are there.

The 'problem' we all hear may be Amanero board specific.

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
Blue58, Elberoth

It looks like I am the only one who does not like uptone . Let me explain why.
I agree with Blue 58 that the sound with uptone is a bit thinn, I would say less organic. It gives maybe even darker background and as a final result - more resolution but to my ears that is just too much.
When we listen live to a big orchestra playing complex classical music we cannot point out every single instrument - at least I can't;), we perceive the music as a whole . With uptone and detailed source our attention is attracted by every musician instead of music. That is not natural imo.
Moreover in my setup and with specific vocal recordings the horns start to shout and that is what nobody likes. You are probably right Blue58 that what we perceive as musicality could be a sort of noise or distortion but the tubes do the same and we like it, don't we ?
I believe it's a matter of personal preferences and specific setup but I will not try amber , I am fine without it.
One thing more- in my system uptone integrated better with Lampi than with La Fontaine so I could not share with Adam the idea that it is just amanero board .
I could accept uptone with lampi in some recordings esp. DSD but not with La Fontaine and PCM.
BTW , Adam thanks for the loan .
P.S Blue58 - I have Gran Corona since yestarday , hard to believe but with lampi I have the impression that is better than acro 9500 , looking forward to audition Reserva whithin a few weeks.

rgds,Mariusz

Last edited:

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
Blue58, Elberoth

It looks like I am the only one who does not like uptone . Let me explain why.
I agree with Blue 58 that the sound with uptone is a bit thinn, I would say less organic. It gives maybe even darker background and as a final result - more resolution but to my ears that is just too much.
When we listen live to a big orchestra playing complex classical music we cannot point out every single instrument - at least I can't;), we perceive the music as a whole . With uptone and detailed source our attention is attracted by every musician instead of music. That is not natural imo.
Moreover in my setup and with specific vocal recordings the horns start to shout and that is what nobody likes. You are probably right Blue58 that what we perceive as musicality could be a sort of noise or distortion but the tubes do the same and we like it, don't we ?
I believe it's a matter of personal preferences and specific setup but I will not try amber , I am fine without it.
One thing more- in my system uptone integrated better with Lampi than with La Fontaine so I could not share with Adam the idea that it is just amanero board .
I could accept uptone with lampi in some recordings esp. DSD but not with La Fontaine and PCM.
BTW , Adam thanks for the loan .
P.S Blue58 - I have Gran Corona since yestarday , hard to believe but with lampi I have the impression that is better than acro 9500 , looking forward to audition Reserva whithin a few weeks.

rgds,Mariusz
Mariusz, I understand completely how musicality can be thrown away with advances in resolution and I'm a big believer in musicality over transparency. That's why we bought the La Fontaine isn't it?
The Regen is adding resolution and after another day of listening I now find that going back to non-Regen it sounds like a fine gauze is placed over the music. Comfy slippers?
I fully appreciate your point of view and I think both our preferences for musicality and presentation are similar and so if you get the chance to try the Amber version then please give it a chance.
I've tried big band, solo acoustic, classical, chamber, pop, you name it, it all sounds bigger, wider, tighter like everyone's been drinking Red Bull. I'd say closer to live performance. A shot of adrenalin. The impulse to turn the volume up with added clarity is strong and that is possibly where we fall down by not comparing like for like.
We all hear differently, true, and I was expecting to concur with your impressions but this is the Amber version.
Quite honestly after listening and raving I thought I may have made a mistake being quickly impressed and hasty in my decision but it's staying put.
Again, if my impression changes I will be telling you in all honesty. Life's too short.

Re. Power cables, I wasn't too impressed of the Gran Corona over my VHaudio Airsines, but they were early versions and too stiff for my setup, but the Reserva is special. Mark has done a great job on these. Pity I need 5 for my setup. ouch!

Blue58

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I think marslo is referring to the Regen and you to the amber, Barry

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
Forgot to say that CD rips from Aries using Regen are still not as good (musical) as played direct on the LaFontaine. I can only assume the direct path from drive to Dac is better/shorter than through the Xmos USB receiver.
However there is now a greater difference between HiRes and CD of the same title. Hope that makes sense.
Blue58

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
I think marslo is referring to the Regen and you to the amber, Barry
Yes, looks like there is quite an improvement from Green to Amber. Can't wait for the Red:)

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
Blue58,
If amber brings a shot of adrenaline, I will give it a serious listen when possbile.I know exactly what you mean " the impulse to turn the volume up" because my wife closes the door of our living room immediately:) so I am not sure whether it's really a wise decision to have one.

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK

Adam, I see it arrived.

Any thoughts on how you are finding the Amber and how the 'daisy chain' is working out. A worthwhile addition.?

My latest thoughts are that it really is a major improvement for HiRes despite the perceived thinness however as I use my LaFontaine for CD and SACD playback I now have two slightly different presentations to the music with the Regen having greater greater space and slam, the LaFontaine lighter and a touch softer/warmer.

I think I need to rip my 2000 CDs and buy a GG.

Blue58

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
I have yet to try it on my Lampi. I'm listening on the Trinity DAC right now. With the Trinity it works as advertised, with no side effects. Daisy chaining brings small, although worthwile improvement IMO.

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
Blue58,

As I understand from your post , you use La Fotaine as a cd/sacd player. Pls note that all my comments concern only files, I have all my cds and sacds ripped and play pcm with La Fontaine Dac and DSD with Lampi b7. Around 15 % of my library ( ca 1700 discs) are hires files be it pcm or dsd.The transport /server is Aurender W20. In my setup the sound from La Fontaine as a player is significantly worse than files , regardless redbook or hires.
My observation concerning uptone refers to this setup.
Now I understand better your opinion about regen.

Last edited:

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
Blue58,

As I understand from your post , you use La Fotaine as a cd/sacd player. Pls note that all my comments concern only files, I have all my cds and sacds ripped and play pcm with La Fontaine Dac and DSD with Lampi b7. Around 15 % of my library ( ca 1700 discs) are hires files be it pcm or dsd.The transport /server is Aurender W20. In my setup the sound from La Fontaine as a player is significantly worse than files , regardless redbook or hires.
My observation concerning uptone refers to this setup.
Now I understand better your opinion about regen.
Hi Marslo,
Ah! I didn't realise you had it all ripped. I think the Aries is holding all formats back a touch but particularly noticeable on CD rips. Even though our systems are similar, the front ends are wide apart hence our varying opinions on what the Regen brings. Now I understand better.
Now for that Xmas wish list. Not too early is it?
Blue58

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing