Ron's Speaker, Turntable, Power and Room Treatment Upgrades

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I appreciate those kind thoughts, David. Unfortunately my incompetent architect has been trying to get a permit approved since October. We have been literally dead in the water since October.

Thank you, Mike. At best it still is an extremely challenging room acoustically, with a large opening to the equipment room on the right and an even larger opening to the kitchen on the left, asymmetrical side walls, and asymmetrical ceiling soffits. But to answer your question: no, the completion of the room is still way too far away for me to begin to get excited about it.

Right now there is slap echo when I clap my hands, but I am virtually certain it is from the super reflective Koster Vap-covered floor.

Both you and David had a lot to do with my decisions on the walls. Your wood-lined listening room encouraged me to keep the room fairly live to begin with.

Last edited:

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
And you're stuck with him? Usually businesses that do a LOT of work can get permits done within the week if not day.

How's the rest of the house compared to the listening room?

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
And you're stuck with him? Usually businesses that do a LOT of work can get permits done within the week if not day.

How's the rest of the house compared to the listening room?

Thank you for asking. The listening room is the easy part of the repairs. The rest of the house is even less far along than the listening room. What can one expect in almost three years?

Last edited:

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
A LOT MORE. You could have Youtubed it all and done it yourself at this point...

Ovenmitt

Nov 21, 2017
The Mapleknoll is a great performer!

Yes, if you ordered your Eclipse with 2 inputs. If this is the case, you will have the option to alter each phono input load independently albeit inside on the back chassis.

Well, you have take a leap of faith with ordering and not hearing first.. don't judge the unit until after at least 400 hrs. Its break in is a long one. It will sound thin at first and go through different strange phases.

Your best bet is to get reverse RIAA unit-- they are inexpensive--- and run a CD player , tuner or server through it for 3 weeks or so. KAB, Hagerman and others sell them or if you are handy you can build one simply enough. Aesthetix say they put about 100hrs on the units before they leave.

Sure the stock tubes are fine, but NOS takes it to a different level. When you are ready for that let me know and I can give you some tips.

I don't have an IO but do have the Eclipse signature (Aesthetix line stage equivalent) and agree that NOS tubes take these preamps to a waaay different place. I ended up with Tele 12AX7's, Mullard E188CC's, etc. Maybe the most influential tube swap came from swapping the EL34's to GEC KT66's (grey glass) in the power supply.

Reactions: Lagonda

Number9

Oct 15, 2018
Before stain
BECE61F7-14E8-4FA2-A474-23525D5CBEBF.jpeg Finally had my flooring installed. Photos are kinda washed out but the wood floor has a gray finish. I love it! Hopefully the contrast with the amps will help.

B38E2C63-A772-4E86-8413-BA97C0D96ECC.jpeg
F7C467F9-8505-4D1B-A387-7349531A8AD2.jpeg

Still need a few components.

Reactions: Lagonda

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hi Ron, our bedroom floor is v similar to this. It's a really nice, understated vibe, that can only be beneficial for relaxed listening. Congrats.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Ron, how will the floor be finished? And is there any thought to the ceiling with diffusers, panels, etc? Can you get the contractor to pull permits? This project seems completely open ended. You are a very patient gentleman.

The first four feet from the front wall be carpet. The next 10 feet will be the same walnut flooring as the rest of the house. The rest of the living room floor will be carpet.

So basically the entire listening room floor will be wall-to-wall carpet except for a 10 foot deep strip on which I will locate the amplifiers and the speaker columns.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

Number9

Oct 15, 2018
So the flooring is installed wihout any sealer. It is engineered wood wih solid oak veneer. The stain was applied by the same guy that did the installation. Approximately 6 feet from front wall to carpet transition.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
So the flooring is installed wihout any sealer. It is engineered wood wih solid oak veneer. The stain was applied by the same guy that did the installation. Approximately 6 feet from front wall to carpet transition.

I think the gray finish looks great!

Number9

Oct 15, 2018
Thanks. Based on preliminary tests I am pretty confident I made the correct decision to do the front 1/3 wood and the remaining carpet (with very light padding.).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing