Ron's Speaker, Turntable, Power and Room Treatment Upgrades

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
I will say we have tried some other long interconnects before and would agree with Davids findings. But never experienced this with MasterBuilt.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
On the 17 meter length interconnect — would you feel better if I plant a Schnerzinger Piccolo in the room to suck the nasties out of the interconnect?

PS: I really don’t want a rack on the right side wall with wires going in and coming out of it like a dialysis machine. I will hold off on ordering the interconnect (sorry Leif!) until the speakers are in place and I see the absolute minimum length I can get away with.

Dan, I always prefer silver to black. The Pendragons are black but everything else will be silver.

OMG, you're way funnier than I have ever given you credit for... David must have sensed it and left that one alone :D

I still don't understand your aversion to running two sets of interconnects, the one going to the sub being buffered. Then you don't have any transistors where it'll affect the sound.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
OMG, you're way funnier than I have ever given you credit for... David must have sensed it and left that one alone :D.

He must be making fun of moi :eek:.

Tang

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you, Folsom!

No Sir, Mr. Tang. Now that audioquattr has promised me magical EMI/RFI results from the Piccolo I have no choice but to get one.

We are gauging the length of the dog’s fur coat to maximize absorption in the 10kHz range, and we could strap a second Piccolo on her for mobile EMI/RFI elimination.

Here is a photo showing prototype testing of a pink Piccolo harness:

9693BDAB-2903-48EB-8D53-E607BBAA1438.jpg

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
I was reading some of the tech info for the new iconoclast cables from Belden and length of the cable comes into question as maintaining phase becomes challenging. David what would be the longest length ic you would recommend?

10-12m max dan but not with every cable, many start to change sound past 6m. You can't tell until you try and I never came across anything that didn't change drastically past 12m.

david

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
I will say we have tried some other long interconnects before and would agree with Davids findings. But never experienced this with MasterBuilt.

It's easy to find out Leif, make him the 17m interconnect and try it at Steve's. If it works great and if not you can cut it up into shorter runs and re-terminate it for him.

Of course only if he's going for MB in other parts of the system.

david

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
It's easy to find out Leif, make him the 17m interconnect and try it at Steve's. If it works great and if not you can cut it up into shorter runs and re-terminate it for him.

david
Not so easily done. I think they are cut with a laser saber and terminated on Krypton! :)

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Of course they are. Your using balanced. I'm using 12 meter I/C's at the shows and there is no sonic difference. Hell, I even for fun ran a 12 meter I/C from my KRONOS to the phono pre and no difference. But we will wait for you to get your speakers in place and maybe we can save some with a shorter cable:)

2 x 12m runs of MB wires, damn did you weld the arm to the table and then nail the table to the rack :)?

david

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
2 x 12m runs of mb wires, damn did you weld the arm to the table and then nail the table to the rack :)?

David

lol

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Two layers of Bonnie’s Acoustic Thermal Insulation have been fitted into 1” furring over .42” Hardiebacker on all sections of both side walls. Next 3/4” hardwood walnut panels will wall paper the front wall and both side walls.

F52DAF9C-725D-455F-B4D3-1FDCDB37441F.jpg

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Two layers of Bonnie’s Acoustic Thermal Insulation have been fitted into 1” furring over .42” Hardiebacker on all sections of both side walls. Next 3/4” hardwood walnut panels will wall paper the front wall and both side walls.

View attachment 41891

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

You really pour everything into this room. Unbelievable dedication, Ron. I would like to applaud you for that. If the room doesn’t sound exceptional, you have to go fix your ears instead ;).

Kindest regards,
Tang

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Personally I think digital will sound GREAT in this room .

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Lol to both

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
You really pour everything into this room. Unbelievable dedication, Ron. I would like to applaud you for that. If the room doesn’t sound exceptional, you have to go fix your ears instead ;).

Kindest regards,
Tang

Hahaha Tang! :D

The wall structure formula is a mix (decided by me) of Bonnie analysis and recommendations, and DDK vetos! I think the wall structure will get me on the target, and then ASC Tube Traps in the corners and SMT V-Wing diffusors and V-4 Helmholtz resonators at the first reflection points hopefully will get me close to the 10 ring.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Only one (1).

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Hahaha Tang! :D

The wall structure formula is a mix (decided by me) of Bonnie analysis and recommendations, and DDK vetos! I think the wall structure will get me on the target, and then ASC Tube Traps in the corners and SMT V-Wing diffusors and V-4 Helmholtz resonators at the first reflection points hopefully will get me close to the 10 ring.

Dear Ron,

Allow me to veto the corner Tampons and Valueless Wingies right now, not doing all that beautiful wood paneling just to stick this stuff in front of it :)! With resonators less is more, a regular shaped space like yours shouldn't need more than one, of course you're still the boss!

david

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
:)

Well I have the Tube Traps already, so there certainly is no harm in experimenting.

And I do intend to do something for the first reflections, and I am curious to try the SMT wings, as a more contemporary alternative to RPG Modfractals.

I also have 4’ X 8’ absorber panels, so I can compare those to the SMT wings at the first reflection points and see if I hear a difference in presentation or sound-staging between diffusion and absorption there.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing