Ron's Speaker, Turntable, Power and Room Treatment Upgrades

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Davey

In this case you are totally mistaken, The ZYX Premium in my system introduces zero noise into the system

Steve, I think the noise to which Davey refers is that generated by the phono gain stage which has to amplify the extremely low output of these cartridges. The noise is not from the cartridge itself. Some phono stages are much quieter than others and some have much more gain than others. Perhaps your Lamm is quieter than Ron's IO.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Tang has both cartridges?!?!

Sorry, I should have known that. But between Tang and Gian I can't keep up with their inventories!

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Steve's Lamm, with step-up transformers, definitely is quieter than the Io.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Electric work: beautiful and extremely well done, even extra wire for expansion, brilliant! (What in-wall are you using and what outlets???)

Drywall Framing: Absolutely brilliant,...will have to remember this for my next room that will be custom-built!

Are you going with 2 layers of sheet rock (2 different thicknesses with buffer material or simply 'Quiet Rock' or whatever name it goes by)?

Thank You Ron! Very happy to see all the progress!!!

Thank you! :)

The wire is JPS In-Wall. The outlets will be Furutech NCF.

There will be 120VAC and 240VAC.

On the front wall I currently am planning to use only one layer of common drywall (the framing ("furring out") has already cost me 4 inches of length of the room). The framing will be filled in with blue jeans insulation.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Steve, I think the noise to which Davey refers is that generated by the phono gain stage which has to amplify the extremely low output of these cartridges. The noise is not from the cartridge itself. Some phono stages are much quieter than others and some have much more gain than others. Perhaps your Lamm is quieter than Ron's IO.

Thank you, Peter. That is entirely correct.

Steve, the phono stage is what what introduces noise into the system...usually because the phono stage is working too hard and therefore either a) distorting the signal or b) allowing tube noise to intrude or c) both.

As I have stated before, I am no fan of SUT's...compared to tube phono stages. However, they do allow the pre-ampflier to operate much more in the sweet spot..usually. Plus, one can safely operate ( from a noise perspective) a much lower output MC with most SUT's.
One has to pick their poison, IME. Go with an SUT and throw away a lot of the magic that the tube phono stage brings, or go with a tube phono stage and limit oneself to certain cartridges that do not stress the amplification stage and/or the tubes.
Unfortunately, the trend these days seems to be towards flea output cartridges, which i am afraid leads to numerous incompatibilities with the downstream gear. Years ago I experienced this issue, so I am well aware of the cost to rectify the situation.
IMHO, Ron is very smart to be mindful of this scenario....and to not rely on luck to get it right!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Oh, yes, I agree it is a small difference in output. But I am concerned about even a 20% reduction in output.

I know the equation I had for many years with the Benz Ruby 2 output of .3mV at 3.54cm/s and the Prodigy sensitivity of 91dB and the VTL MB-750 triode output of 350 watts. This all worked very well for me and offered high SPL.

Now the Pendragons drop the sensitivity to 89dB; the ZYX drops the output to .24 mV; and the power output of the new amps (whichever they may be) will be about 150 watts or 200 watts. All together this adds up to a pretty significant difference in system output.

I just don't want to go any lower in output than the ZYX, which, at .24mV, is already pretty low to me.

Changing speakers and amplifiers will not change the situation concerning cartridge choice. The signal to noise ratio is dominated by the phono preamplifer and modern amplifiers have high gain - that is not related to power. The usual situation is that systems have too much gain and people operate the volume controls in the lower positions with excessive attenuation.

BTW, you should check at which level the cartridge output sensitivity is specified - some manufacturers use 3.54cm/s, others 5cm/s (a 3dB difference) .

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I think, ideally, that one should look at the whole system combination of cartridge output and phono stage gain and line stage gain and amplifier gain and speaker sensitivity and preferred listening level.

The ZYX is specified at 3.54cm/s.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Ron

you're going to have to buy the newest XYX Ultimate as the Premium has been discontinued only to be replaced by the Ultimate. From what I understand it has the same output of 0.24 mV and is a minor upgrade from the Premium. The bad news is that this new cart sells for north of $17K

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
If I had to bet, Ron will end up with the Air Tight Opus 1. It's everything he has been looking for in a cartridge. Both Tango and Albert Porter say it's the cats meow.

Buy now before there is a price increase.

Last edited:

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Ron

you're going to have to buy the newest XYX Ultimate as the Premium has been discontinued only to be replaced by the Ultimate. From what I understand it has the same output of 0.24 mV and is a minor upgrade from the Premium. The bad news is that this new cart sells for north of $17K

I'm sorry. $17k is getting retarded for any cartridge.

That's as much as a pair of Sabrinas.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Opus 1 is still $15k...

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

I agree Keith, but do you think that people actually pay full retail for the most expensive items in High End Audio? A now retired dealer once told me that no one pays retail. Perhaps he was talking about his customers. Maybe people do pay these prices, but I think it is more about marketing.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

I would say Zyx is more fairly priced relative to the Sabrinas

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
60 percent, I think. So at times higher than the "deal" price for a new cart

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA

Yes. I'm not even sure most expensive carts are anything much more impressive than many inexpensive ones... if not just given flavors.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Yes. I'm not even sure most expensive carts are anything much more impressive than many inexpensive ones... if not just given flavors.

From my experience with the Air Tight and the ZYX, yes they are much more impressive than less expensive ones.

Now, if they're worth the extra money, that's up for each one of us to decide...

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Purely from theoretical (not actual auditioning) triangulation I think I would find the ZXY UNIverse Premium a little bit smoother and a little bit warmer than the Opus.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing