Ron's Speaker, Turntable, Power and Room Treatment Upgrades

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
For those interested in working with SoundSense, I think you will be surprised how reasonably priced their consulting is. That does not include the recommended products to get the result, but I for one am relieved that I won't be trial and error'ing multiple tweaks to get the room right. It was apparent after meeting with Bonnie I could leave it to her and her analysis, and then implement her recommendations into the remodel of the space. I don't think I would buy her products without the analysis, or I'd be back to trial and error. What a relief to have Steve be the guinea pig for her work, by all accounts his room is excellent. I am confident my results will be great as well, and there is real relief in knowing that. It did not take long after meeting Dr. Bonnie to know she understands what she is doing.

I could have driven up to Seattle to visit the Vicoustic showroom, and put up a bunch of stuff on their recommendations. My room would likely be better than it is right now. With Soundsense, you know it will 'right' and I know a lot of audiophiles who continue to chase that through trial and error.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Dear Jonathan,

Thank you for that detailed advice. I agree completely that I have to be careful about the asymmetry to the outside of each speaker.

As Steve wrote the drapes would be lined with the proper pleating ratio of Bonnie's Lumitex material.

Blocking my hallway to the left of the left speaker would not be a problem, so I could install any self-standing panels Bonnie suggested.

Nevillekapadia

VIP/Donor
Aug 30, 2010
Wonderful news on the choice of your turntable Ron. Tops, is all I can say! And that chapter is now truly closed.
I have used the MySonic Ultra Eminent-EX which I am extremely happy with. The Gold Signature was not available then. A few who visited my home soon got the Gold Signature.
Comes down to personal preferences.
AJ will be a great guide for your choice anyway.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you, Neville!

I think I have narrowed it down to the Ultra Eminent EX or the Air Tight PC-1 Supreme. (Has anyone compared the PC-1 Supreme to the new Magnum Opus?)

Did you consider the PC-1 Supreme?

Nevillekapadia

VIP/Donor
Aug 30, 2010
Did you consider the PC-1 Supreme?

Ron, with limited capabilities of auditioning, I trusted AJ's views. The choice was a Dynavector XV-1s, which I heard on a friends Debut. We both then chose the MyS Ultra Eminent EX.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I trust A.J. too. But I still want to make a fun project out of selecting the cartridge! : )

I am going to lean heavily on Peter A.'s future MSL/Air Tight comparison work. I am going to investigate the Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum. But I think an acrylic platter plus tubes plus the Rosewood might be too much of a good thing all combined. So maybe the Coralstone?

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
In each of the rooms in which I have used electrostatic speakers the front wall has always been plain sheetrock. I do not believe in absorbing or diffusing the rear wave from the MLs. I believe in locating the dipole speakers far enough into the room so there is enough of a delay between the front wave reaching the ears and the reflected rear wave reaching the ears to create the illusion of a three-dimensional soundstage. . . .

I agree. The front wall when using dipoles should be a non absorbing wall for the reasons you stated.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Now that I believe that the room is one of the most important components of the system I have been thinking about ways to optimize the dimensions of my room. Speaking with a contractor I have figured out how to widen the front wall by two feet. This would make the width of the room about 19.5'.

I have also been speaking with my contractor about blowing out the 14' high wall of my house (which is the rear wall behind the listening position of my listening room). This would increase the length of the room from 24.5' to about 29' by pushing out the rear wall of the listening room and encroaching onto my outdoor deck by about 5'. This would make the room more rectangular and get me a bit closer to Golden Ratio dimensions.

I am waiting for a cost estimate but the contractor's initial investigation is very discouraging. The 5' extension would require drilling new pilings on my deck, and relocating and extending a major steel "I" beam holding up that part of the house.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Ugh—Ron, I feel your pain. Moving a bearing wall is always costly, and steel beams for headers can be a solution, but not a cheap one. I had a similar thought for my room, more related to resizing a window, then my good sense took over remembering a prior project in a different home.

While your room has its issues, Dr. Bonnie, I am confident, will sort things out for you. Can you add a wing to your house? The 'music wing'! Oh the possibilities if $$ doesn't get in the way.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you for the empathy! : )

The house is a retaining wall house so there is no flat land on which to build a music wing extension. I could build a completely new structure towards the bottom of the slope where the incline isn't so steep but that would be a giant undertaking. And, realistically, if I have to get dressed and walk outside and down to a different building to play the stereo I will end up listening to a lot less music.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
I understand. We're on a slope too. We own the adjacent lot, so considered building a garage/mother-in-law structure next door, with a tunnel to connect them. Now that would have been expensive. One house we liked before buying this one had this amazing pool house and pool with expansive 3 volcano views—i've considered adding something like that too, as opposed to an additional garage, with music room as part of the space. But like you if I have to wander off to go listen, I'll do it less. And then there is the whole $$ part. I do want to retire in the next few years. As my wife reminds me 'just because you can, doesn't mean you should' (wrt to building custom stuff).

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Your wife proffers good advice. But, at least with respect to my hobbies, I have always believed that anything worth doing is worth overdoing! : )

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
It turns out that the wall I wanted to push outside by 5' contains a structural I-beam which would be extremely expensive to relocate. So my room will remain 24.5' long. I will be increasing the width from 17.5' to 19.5' feet. The final dimensions will be 19.5' wide X 24.5' long X 14' high.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I spent two hours today at my house with Barry Romo of LBR Electric. Barry has a lot of experience installing Equi-Tech and Torus Power balanced power units.

I am going to go with a WM 90 BAL AVR, which is a wall-mounted, 90 amp, balanced (on the input) power unit with voltage regulation. The plan is to mount the unit on a wall just outside of the listening room. JPS labs in-wall power cable will be used to power five ground isolated Hubbell outlets.

Barry is going to see whether a chemical ground (a ground rod encased in a conductive chemical) is feasible to lower potential down to 25 ohms or less.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you, Hi-FiGuy, but, as of today, I am back to trying to figure out if there is a way to push out that 14 wall. I had another structural engineer come over today for a second opinion.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Thank you, Hi-FiGuy, but, as of today, I am back to trying to figure out if there is a way to push out that 14 wall. I had another structural engineer come over today for a second opinion.

Determined this one is. :D

I am very excited to follow the progress of this build out. Take lots of pictures. I am in your neck of the woods often on job sites (don't now how much of this you are doing hands on), if you need help with anything let me know.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
That is very nice of you! Thank you!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing