Ron's Speaker, Turntable, Power and Room Treatment Upgrades

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
At least from a technical point of view it seems like the high current and low output impedance VTL 7.5 Series III would put these various concerns to rest.

Yes, and has a display with large figures, easy to read from distance (Dave Wilson comment that I second).

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Dear David,

Thank you but I do not understand. The pass though is on the bass tower amps not the (external and user-selected) main amps driving the ribbon panels.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Agreed.

I understand well how a buffer will improve the impedance problem but I don't understand (even a little) your bolded statement. This seems counterintuitive and subjective at best.

Ron, at the level you are playing I would do what I could to cut the distance and still achieve your isolation goal. Maybe seek out an off the shelf sound proof enclosure to be used inside the room for TT and Phono if you feel this is critical. You can AB with and without and if you like the improvement have something attractive made to work in your room.

Thank you, Paul. I will think about this but I don’t fancy a rack on a side-wall with a lot of wires leading in from the equipment room. Plus then I would needs lots of medium long interconnects from tape preamp and phono preamp and tape deck.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Dear David,

Thank you but I do not understand. The pass though is on the bass tower amps not the (external and user-selected) main amps driving the ribbon panels.
You can use the 2nd input of some tube amps like my Lamms for pass through and connect it to another amplifier. I'm not familiar with your VTLs and their inputs but easy to find out, then you can go through them to the bass tower amps and not the other way around which IMO will have negative sonic consequence.

david

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
On the VTL amps I believe that the XLR and the RCA inputs cannot be used at the same time.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
On the VTL amps I believe that the XLR and the RCA inputs cannot be used at the same time.

Not simultaneously as inputs that's for all amps but you can use the 2nd input for pass through. Is VTL's XLR balanced or just an adaptor like Lamm's? You might be able to use it that way if passive.

david

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
The Siegfried II is supposed to be true balanced.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
After discussions with Jim White — who was very generous with his time and proposed solution and completely gracious with whichever way I decided to go — I remain concerned that the combination of the parallel amplifier load and the 17 meter length of interconnect will put a lot of pressure on the Callisto. I know from Jim’s advice and experience and from Shakti’s experience and from Don Saltzman’s experience that the Callisto will have no problem driving 17 meters of interconnect. It is the combined challenge of the interconnect length plus the parallel amplifier load which is giving me pause.

I really appreciate Jim’s proposed solution of adding an outboard transistor buffer stage, but I am reluctant to tinker in that way at this point while trying to hatch in one go a complicated system with all new components and, therefore, no known (to me or to anyone else) sonic starting point or benchmark (which naturally I would have if I were merely introducing the Callisto into a well-known, pre-existing system). I remain super excited about getting the Io Eclipse with two power supplies.

I believe that technically, if not sonically, the parallel amplifier load and the extremely long interconnect concerns can be most easily addressed — without adding a new custom buffer component — by switching to a line stage preamplifier with a solid-state output stage. I don’t love this idea since it would put a transistor in the audio signal path for the first time in my high-end life, but so would the solution of a custom external transistor buffer module. (And if Shakti can handle transistors in the signal path I guess I should be able to handle it too.). I feel at this time that I would rather stick with an off-the-shelf line stage solution than add an external module to the Callisto.

So I have decided to look into ordering a VTL TL-7.5 Series III. I am sure the Siegfried Series IIs will be happy with this decision as well.

ALF

Mar 15, 2012
Southwest
Hi Ron,

Good luck with your decision!

Maybe, in the meantime while you are waiting for the construction at your home to wrap up...you could contact the Fender Custom Shop to make you one of their wonderful Stratocasters and pair it up with a hand-wired Deluxe reverb; you cannot get any more real than this!

Cheers,
Alan

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Dear Ron,

IME this will not solve the problem, 17m interconnect will still be sonically questionable. You're painting yourself into a corner with this long interconnect.

david

After discussions with Jim White — who was very generous with his time and proposed solution and completely gracious with whichever way I decided to go — I remain concerned that the combination of the parallel amplifier load and the 17 meter length of interconnect will put a lot of pressure on the Callisto. I know from Jim’s advice and experience and from Shakti’s experience and from Don Saltzman’s experience that the Callisto will have no problem driving 17 meters of interconnect. It is the combined challenge of the interconnect length plus the parallel amplifier load which is giving me pause.

I really appreciate Jim’s proposed solution of adding an outboard transistor buffer stage, but I am reluctant to tinker in that way at this point while trying to hatch in one go a complicated system with all new components and, therefore, no known (to me or to anyone else) sonic starting point or benchmark (which naturally I would have if I were merely introducing the Callisto into a well-known, pre-existing system). I remain super excited about getting the Io Eclipse with two power supplies.

I believe that technically, if not sonically, the parallel amplifier load and the extremely long interconnect concerns can be most easily addressed — without adding a new custom buffer component — by switching to a line stage preamplifier with a solid-state output stage. I don’t love this idea since it would put a transistor in the audio signal path for the first time in my high-end life, but so would the solution of a custom external transistor buffer module. (And if Shakti can handle transistors in the signal path I guess I should be able to handle it too.). I feel at this time that I would rather stick with an off-the-shelf line stage solution than add an external module to the Callisto.

So I have decided to look into ordering a VTL TL-7.5 Series III. I am sure the Siegfried Series IIs will be happy with this decision as well.

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
Black or silver? The AS turntable is stainless steel the the gryphon speakers are black. The sources are in a seperate room so maybe a silver 7.5 preamp to match the AS turntable and black mono blocks to match the speakers. But if you move the preamp into the room the. Maybe a black 7.5 preamp. Time to think.

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
Black or silver? The AS turntable is stainless steel the the gryphon speakers are black. The sources are in a seperate room so maybe a silver 7.5 preamp to match the AS turntable and black mono blocks to match the speakers. But if you move the preamp into the room the. Maybe a black 7.5 preamp. Time to think.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
On the 17 meter length interconnect — would you feel better if I plant a Schnerzinger Piccolo in the room to suck the nasties out of the interconnect?

PS: I really don’t want a rack on the right side wall with wires going in and coming out of it like a dialysis machine. I will hold off on ordering the interconnect (sorry Leif!) until the speakers are in place and I see the absolute minimum length I can get away with.

Dan, I always prefer silver to black. The Pendragons are black but everything else will be silver.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
On the 17 meter length interconnect — would you feel better if I plant a Schnerzinger Piccolo in the room to suck the nasties out of the interconnect?

PS: I really don’t want a rack on the right side wall with wires going in and coming out of it like a dialysis machine. I will hold off on ordering the interconnect (sorry Leif!) until the speakers are in place and I see the absolute minimum length I can get away with.

Dan, I always prefer silver to black. The Pendragons are black but everything else will be silver.
Sorry, no Ron. Every experience I’ve had with interconnects that long in a high end context has been negative. I don’t believe the problem is from external nasties.

david

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
Sorry, no Ron. Every experience I’ve had with interconnects that long in a high end context has been negative. I don’t believe the problem is from external nasties.

david

I was reading some of the tech info for the new iconoclast cables from Belden and length of the cable comes into question as maintaining phase becomes challenging. David what would be the longest length ic you would recommend?

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com

No worries Ron:) You may find you don't need 17 meters. But the length is completely irrelevant. There will be no sonic difference if it is 17 meters or 5 meters.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Oy vey, David!

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
No worries Ron:) You may find you don't need 17 meters. But the length is completely irrelevant. There will be no sonic difference if it is 17 meters or 5 meters.

Hello Leif!

You see I am getting a lot of (well-meaning and greatly-appreciated by me) disapproval on this!

MasterBuilt is extremely confident that a length of 17 meters of balanced interconnect will not cause any sonic degradation?

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
Hello Leif!

You see I am getting a lot of (well-meaning and greatly-appreciated by me) disapproval on this!

MasterBuilt is extremely confident that a length of 17 meters of balanced interconnect will not cause any sonic degradation?

Of course they are. Your using balanced. I'm using 12 meter I/C's at the shows and there is no sonic difference. Hell, I even for fun ran a 12 meter I/C from my KRONOS to the phono pre and no difference. But we will wait for you to get your speakers in place and maybe we can save some with a shorter cable:)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing